Stain PVC Any Color You Like

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder it you could stain natural fiberglass. Does anyone know how fiberglass tubing reacts with methyl ethyl ketone?
Good question; I doubt MEK would "melt" fiberglass though. Of course, if you making your own part, you can "gel coat" it, but I imagine you're thinking of pre-made tubes.

This technique might well work with PML plastic body tubes (not sure what type of plastic they're made of).

Last edited:
John, Id be leery of trying it on PML "Quantum" tubing.
I believe it is similar to polystyrene.

JD

Good question; I doubt MEK would "melt" fiberglass though. Of course, if you making your own part, you can "gel coat" it, but I imagine you're thinking of pre-made tubes.

This technique might well work with PML plastic body tubes (not sure what type of plastic they're made of).

And of course, it leaves Ari with no more excuses for not finishing his tube rockets. :)

Wonder it you could stain natural fiberglass. Does anyone know how fiberglass tubing reacts with methyl ethyl ketone?

https://www.oatey.com/msds/sds-us--oatey-clear-cleaner.pdf is the SDS for 30805 Clear Cleaner. The mixture contains is 75%-95% Acetone, 1%-5% cyclohexanone, and 0%-5% methyl ethyl ketone, so there is little to no MEK in this formulation.

Decent epoxies should not dissolve in ketones. ABS, PVC and CPVC will dissolve in ketones and that's why a organic dye dissolved in the cleaner will stain these plastics.

Bob

Back