Estes Odyssey Build -- Part 5

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We will start this session by adding the 12 vanes on the foreward portion of the rocket. Pretty standard stuff, except I remove each piece and run the glue surfaces across the flat sandpaper to remove the burn residue caused by the laser cuts. I want to bond the part, not burned residue. So each piece must be lightly sanded.
IMG_0577.jpg
I added the vanes in groups of 4, using Titebond to bond them. Once those were cured, I glued the 2 surface-mounted fins on the large tube using a double-glue joint technique so they would set up quickly. I used the template to verify that they were correctly oriented.
At this point, I used Titebond to put a glue fillet on all 5 fins. My fillet strategy: put 1 coat of Titebond for strength, then use white glue (2-3 coats) to finish the fillets--it yields a smoother surface.
IMG_0579.jpg
Next up: launch lug. Sorry, I don’t like 3/16” lugs. Never have. If you aren’t using the standard 1/8” lug, move up to the 1/4 “ lug. Anyway, that is what I did. I have a small parts drawer full of LOC lugs, so I pulled out a lug and used it in place of the provided one. You can use the smaller one, but I like the larger lug. Anyway, the lug was sanded with 220 grit paper to rough it up, then it was glued to the fin/airframe joint specified in the instructions. I also added a Titebond fillet to both edges of the launch lug.
IMG_0578.jpg
The instructions next call for assembly of the jet compressor parts. It’s a cool-looking feature of this kit. I followed instructions, but I rubbed the flat surface on the sander block to remove burned paper, and sanded each of the 13 launch lugs and the two wax rings before gluing them to the assembly. I learned an assembly trick for this part: to attach the lugs, just put flue on the two wax rings, and start stick on the lugs. Put a small rubber band around them until set. Much easier than gluing each lug on singly.
IMG_0582.jpgIMG_0586.jpg
Instructions would have you to glue on the nosecones at each end, then glue the entire assembly into the tube. I suggest you wait. For example, I think I want to paint the nosecones silver and the compressor parts either silver or black. I want to paint the visible ends of the tube flat black. All of this is much easier while the parts are not glued into the tubing. That is the tricky part of this kit—you have to think about final paint while you are assembling parts. My plan is to paint the compressor parts, paint the tube ends, send the part edges that will be glued into the tube, then put glue inside the tube and slide in the compressor assembly.

End of Part 5

Back