Midwest Power XIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also wish to extend kudos to QCRS for Midwest Power. It was a very well run launch. The effort shown by the club at the field was awesome. I'm guessing this was tiny in compared to the efforts beforehand. Even with one day of no flyi<script id="gpt-impl-0.6560124968442277" src="https://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_75.js"></script>ng, it was a fun event.

Question: This was my third MWP. I know MWP is customarily held on Halloween weekend. Next year Halloween falls on a Monday. Yeah, I know this is far, far, in advance. So, will it be the weekend before, or the weekend after?

BTW. I've uploaded the on-board video of my 4-stage flight. In case you haven't seen it, it's at: https://youtu.be/sIGzvkHYQfU

...Fred

BTW. I've uploaded the on-board video of my 4-stage flight. In case you haven't seen it, it's at: https://youtu.be/sIGzvkHYQfU

This is definitely one of the coolest on board videos I've seen in a long time. I missed the flight itself at MWP, as I was out recovering one of my rockets, so I'm glad to be able to see it.

I also wish to extend kudos to QCRS for Midwest Power. It was a very well run launch. The effort shown by the club at the field was awesome. I'm guessing this was tiny in compared to the efforts beforehand. Even with one day of no flyi<script id="gpt-impl-0.6560124968442277" src="https://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_75.js"></script>ng, it was a fun event.

Question: This was my third MWP. I know MWP is customarily held on Halloween weekend. Next year Halloween falls on a Monday. Yeah, I know this is far, far, in advance. So, will it be the weekend before, or the weekend after?

...Fred

Ok Fred,,,
I give,,,
Dat's it,,,
I saw this vid on your phone,,
that did not do it justice.....
You now win the prize for the coolest on board video I've ever seen...
To watch it stage again and again and watch each stage fall away
and the the last and longest burning stage just rocked right through the white fluff and then rolled over........

Yeah,, that's right Jason,,,,

Unfreakinbelievable,,,,, lol...lol...lol...

Teddy

...Fred

Fred, awesome flight, thanks for bringing your "A" game to our lunch. As far as next year, the launch will be the weekend AFTER the actual Holiday. This falls in line with the daylight savings time change and will allow some of the "parents" to enjoy the launch without being limited to trick or treat restrictions.

As far as next year, the launch will be the weekend AFTER the actual Holiday. This falls in line with the daylight savings time change and will allow some of the "parents" to enjoy the launch without being limited to trick or treat restrictions.

Does this mean that creepy skeleton man won't be making an appearance?

...Fred

Awesome, Fred. Such impressive flying!! Those videos are great, I've never seen your YouTube page before. Thanks for sharing!!

The EuropaExpress flight looks awesome. Still bummed I miss seeing that one fly at Godlewsky Farms in July. Some day!

That rocket has been up at Godlewski's a half dozen times Neil...
If you check my site I'm pretty sure there's some video of a Europa Express flight....
Let me know when you'll be there and I'll put it up again......

Teddy

That was John's Corkscrew as well. In addition to the offset motor mount, there are also tabs on the trailing edges of the fins to give it some spin.

I doubt that he intended for the one to skywrite, but it happens so often you have to wonder :D

Don't ya.:grin:

black_carbon.jpgsmall_endeavour (2).jpg

These rockets have been returned to us by the power company and local farmers after the launch this year and last. Anyone recognize these?

Wow,,
Is that a nice buck....
What.....
And you didn't even mention it...
Don't tell me that is an everyday buck out there....
That's a big, gorgeous and very rare animal here by me.....
Absolutely beautiful man...
Congratulations....

Oh,,, yeah,,, sorry,,,,
I don't know whose rocket's those are....lol...

Teddy

HOLY SMOKES! "We" the computer illiterate finally did it! :surprised: As some of know i try to video everyone of my more spectacular flights. This is the lost video from MWP13 taken on Sunday from the side of my Madcow Massive Frenzy, flying on a CTI N 10,000.

Why was it lost? Don't ask me i'm $#@%'n computer confused...Actually the camera never showed this video on playback and, the following weekend when i bounced it hard off the ground at another launch...i went digging again.

Seems it was really in there- Today i managed to find it off the card and, upload it to my humble You-Tube channel in its unedited, raw footage. Lift off begins at 2:04.

Thank-you again to: Sabrina "The Wildchild" Sager (12 year old girl) who assembled the motor-no kidding, Claude "The Don" Paquin for help with prep, Bill "Dodgeman" Dorn at the pad, Manny "Meatball/Little Taco" Ballestero for the GPS tracking and, Steve "Prophecy" Heller for the Pad Thumbnail.

Someday when i learn how to play with these computer thingy's, i'm REALLY going too be dangerous...:mad:

https://youtu.be/CvhXDNyzbQc

Last edited:
Very nice. Quite a ride. How high you blow the main? Seems like it was pretty low. Kurt Savegnago

Thank-you for the reply Kurt. The main was set for 700' on both the Stratologger and, Marsa 54. What surprised me was that the Apogee seemed a little too quick. The Strat of course is a *sniffer* and, the Marsa was set for both *sniff* and, accelerometer readings.
Chute was a Skyangle Cert. 3 Large.

Why was it lost? Don't ask me i'm $#@%'n computer confused...Actually the camera never showed this video on playback and, the following weekend when i bounced it hard off the ground at another launch...i went digging again.

you know, if you had Sabrina work on your camera, it probably would have worked the first time.

Great video! one day I will fly the N10000

you know, if you had Sabrina work on your camera, it probably would have worked the first time.

Great video! one day I will fly the N10000

Thanks djs! :D You know that the N 10,000 makes a great L3 motor too?...:surprised: Ask Nick Debrita! :rolleyes:

View attachment 276492View attachment 276493

These rockets have been returned to us by the power company and local farmers after the launch this year and last. Anyone recognize these?

Yes I do.
The black MD belongs to a student from Missouri.
I PM'd you with particulars so it can be returned.
Thanks for posting. :) I wish my pink WM ShapeShifter were in the pile......

I wish my pink WM ShapeShifter were in the pile......

QCRS has another launch there on Dec 5. I'll be there, weather permitting. Hopefully the snow has melted down by then, and some rockets may reappear. If you can post an approximate location, I'll go looking for it. Is it a shapeshifter sport, or something larger?

The Strat of course is a *sniffer* and, the Marsa was set for both *sniff* and, accelerometer readings.
Chute was a Skyangle Cert. 3 Large.

It looks to me a little early, maybe a second or 2. On a very short burn high thrust motor accelerometer errors can magnify (because of the relative short time to sample the boost acceleration). Baro-only or Kalman apogee may be a better option for the Marsa with those "mortar" shot launches.

QCRS has another launch there on Dec 5. I'll be there, weather permitting. Hopefully the snow has melted down by then, and some rockets may reappear. If you can post an approximate location, I'll go looking for it. Is it a shapeshifter sport, or something larger?

It's a SS Jr. Dark pink with a hot pink barber pole stripe. DD, drogue less with Spherachute main.
It flew on Friday afternoon. Simmed to 3800' and was lost in the clouds even though the ceiling was well over 4000. I had tracker pings for the first 5 or 6 seconds then lost it. Wind was from the south so theoretically it should be on the north end of the field or across the road to the north. The searches I made on Friday and Sunday yielded nothing.
Thanks for keeping an eye out. I think I'm on call for the 5th so may not make it out to QCRS.
Tom

I just think of it as a good way to keep the sparkies from starting fires.

yeah- we got 8-10" or so here this past weekend.

I'm 70 miles south in Canton so we only got a couple of inches.

Somebody in the group keep me updated on the launches and I'll maintain this
launchsite object for messages:

https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/QCRS&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Hit the "show all" button and one can see weather stations around the site.

I did join QCRS so if the secretary adds me to the announcement email list on the registration form, I can modify this as desired. If people don't like it, let me know and I'll be happy to take it down.

Google aprs.fi, go to site, type "QCRS" in for callsign and it will come up manually.

Kurt Savegnago

Last edited:
I'm 70 miles south in Canton so we only got a couple of inches.

Somebody in the group keep me updated on the launches and I'll maintain this
launchsite object for messages:

https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/QCRS&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Hit the "show all" button and one can see weather stations around the site.

I did join QCRS so if the secretary ads me to the announcement email list on the registration form, I can modify this as desired. If people don't like it, let me know and I'll be happy to take it down.

Google aprs.fi, go to site, type "QCRS" in for callsign and it will come up manually.

Kurt Savegnago

Contact sPauling...

Latest posts

Back