Midwest Power XIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot one photo just 'cause it was out of sequence....didn't forget about Gus and Sabrina, but the photo of Chicago Fire was uploaded to Photobucket in the wrong location. It's Photobucket's fault!:dark:

Taken from 1/2 mile away with a less than ideal lens with less than steady hands from a less than stellar photographer, Chicago Fire on an CTI N10,000 courtesy of Gus and Sabrina. Good show, guys and gals!

084_zpsto7wbaek.jpg

-Eric-

PARS Metamora, IL: April 2005. I bet you may have been there!

-Eric-

Yeah,

I was and thought the rocket was familiar. If I recall correctly you didn't have a tracker and boy that thing flew high. I thought it was something like 17 or 18k back then? Holee molee, it really lived up to its name when it went off the pad then and now.
When I heard the name announced at MWP13 it was like, "I know that bird from when I was a pup." The waiver at Metamora is down to 15k after a few rockets landed close to town and the landowner was concerned of something
going in ballistic. (Which is certainly valid if the waiver stayed at 25k.) All the best. Kurt Savegnago https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/PARS&timerange=3600&tail=3600

Last edited:
Very cool flight. 68g sounds high. N10000 max thrust 2600#, 60# rocket on pad, dry weight 48#. Max accel 2600/60 = 43g low est, 2600/48 = 54g high estimate. One altimeter on-board got it close I think.... :wink:

That 60lbs on pad is also a "Gustimated" weight as i didn't get it's porky little behind on the scale before the launch. Last year same motor/rocket combo showed 50.** g's and, this year 47.** g's max accel! :D

hahahahahahahahaha.....
Hey,,,
dats a plug..........lol...

Teddy

I LOVE how he did that too! :point::D I am always PROUD to let people know that i fly with John's Altimeters....:eek:

Forgot one photo just 'cause it was out of sequence....didn't forget about Gus and Sabrina, but the photo of Chicago Fire was uploaded to Photobucket in the wrong location. It's Photobucket's fault!:dark:

Taken from 1/2 mile away with a less than ideal lens with less than steady hands from a less than stellar photographer, Chicago Fire on an CTI N10,000 courtesy of Gus and Sabrina. Good show, guys and gals!

-Eric-

Another photo of Chicago Fire shows up? Holy Smokes Eric, that's awesome! Please don't put a camera in my hand...all you'd get is sky with my tracking skills...:lol: Thank-you for the photo.

Of course i'll let you know i was just planning to fly a Sparkie when someone made the decision for me....

"Check this out Sabrina, an N-3400 SPARKIE! Wooooooooh....." :D

:rolleyes: Laaaaame...Mr. Gus....lame.

"What? You *dont* like Sparkies?" :eek:

:rolleyes: Oh, you can better than that...this is Midwest Power...remember?

"How about a brilliant BLUE?" :D

Nope...

"How about a brilliant RED? :D

Nope...

"How about a nice...PINK? ;)

Don't insult my intelligence...:no:

"Ok, ok...i'll run down to the Wildman trailer and, see what Jackie has sitting on the shelf...."

Make it quick and, bring back one of those pulled pork sandwiches for me....No horsemeat...Got it!:mad:

"Yes ma'am..." :eek:

Kids nowdays, soooooo....demanding! ;)

084_zpsto7wbaek.jpg

-Eric-

Beautiful pic! If you look close you can see the mach diamonds

Yeah,

I was and thought the rocket was familiar. If I recall correctly you didn't have a tracker and boy that thing flew high. I thought it was something like 17 or 18k back then? Holee molee, it really lived up to its name when it went off the pad then and now.
When I heard the name announced at WMP13 it was like, "I know that bird from when I was a pup." The waiver at Metamora is down to 15k after a few rockets landed close to town and the landowner was concerned of something
going in ballistic. (Which is certainly valid if the waiver stayed at 25k.) All the best. Kurt Savegnago https://aprs.fi/#!mt=roadmap&z=11&call=a/PARS&timerange=3600&tail=3600

You launch in Peoria? Be sure to let me know when you're flying. I used to live diem there and would love to take a road trip down there once in awhile.

Glad you all like it thus far... :)

Looking for info on a few flights:
- Friday afternoon, right after Sather's Isaac Newton flew, the red Wildman Jr. on a J-420 Red, who's rocket is this?
- Friday afternoon, orange and blue three fin rocket that shredded on a white motor, ...details?
- Sunday LATE afternoon, AT L-850, three fin rocket, ... details?
- Sunday LATE afternoon, 4" rocket that had an radio controlled parachute, ... details?
- Sunday LATE LAST FLIGHT of the day... two high school/college kids, 4" glass rocket, CTI L-640... who flew this details please?

Thank you,

I flew the radio controlled parachute. The flight was both a great success and a failure. The primary purpose of the flight was to prove that my unique recovery system could be deployed without tangling and that I would be able to control the parachute. Both of these were extremely successful, the kite opened rapidly without and snags and the control lines were able to turn the kite. I was able to execute several turns through out the course of the flight with no problems. The flight was a failure however because in the switch from smokeless powder to black powder I over sized my charges and the main parachute ejection sheared the pins for my backup chute at apogee. The large backup spherachute, which was only to be deployed in the event of a fouled main, over powered the kite and dragged the whole assembly down range preventing a return to the pad. I have excellent video from two cameras in the servo bay, one pointed at the kite, the other out to the horizon, this weekend I will edit them into a split screen and post them here.

I am now in the process of building a new fiberglass rocket to act as a test bed for this recovery system and I have made some significant design improvements to make loading it as simple as possible and to allow for testing of a feature of the kite to "depower" it for faster decent during early stages of the recovery. I am also making every effort to design the next iteration in a way that it can be developed into a kit for 4" and larger rockets. I have no doubt that the new rocket will be flying in early spring and will reliably allow for successful remote controlled recovery.

Of course i'll let you know i was just planning to fly a Sparkie when someone made the decision for me....

"Check this out Sabrina, an N-3400 SPARKIE! Wooooooooh....." :D

:rolleyes: Laaaaame...Mr. Gus....lame.

"What? You *dont* like Sparkies?" :eek:

:rolleyes: Oh, you can better than that...this is Midwest Power...remember?

"How about a brilliant BLUE?" :D

Nope...

"How about a brilliant RED? :D

Nope...

"How about a nice...PINK? ;)

Don't insult my intelligence...:no:

"Ok, ok...i'll run down to the Wildman trailer and, see what Jackie has sitting on the shelf...."

Make it quick and, bring back one of those pulled pork sandwiches for me....No horsemeat...Got it!:mad:

"Yes ma'am..." :eek:

Kids nowdays, soooooo....demanding! ;)

:rofl:

Gus, buddy, I love reading your posts, 'cause you can see in them just how your mind is working (nonstop) and your wit and sense of humor really come through. You nailed this one! Sabrina is a smart, confident young lady who knows what she wants and forges ahead to it. You missed a great ECOF this year when she gave Tim a big smack-down. You go, girl!

You best be picking my a$$ up as you drive by....
In other words, I'm in!

Adrian

Eric! :point: Don't DO IT!
I brought the "King of Carhartt" back from Da Bong once and, it was quite an experience...

"Yo Adrian, toss me a Root Beer out of the cooler my good man!" :D

Gus? I think your out of sodas here...

"What? I put SIX Root Beers in there before i left home this morning and, ONLY drank one while i was at Bong today! Where did they go?!"

:rolleyes: Not really sure on that one man...*burp*

"Oh...:no: YOU didn't drink all my sodas did you? Ok...Just toss me a Twinkie out the snack bag..."

:rolleyes: Mmmmm.....NO Twinkies from what i can see.

"Dude, i had an ENTIRE box of fresh Twinkies in there THIS morning!"

I can't eat Twinkies Gusman, they give me- *PFFFFFHT* gas...

"AH HA! YOU DRANK ALL MY ROOT BEERS AND, ATE ALL MY SNACKS!" :rant:

:rolleyes: Not me...*pfffffffffffht*

"Were putting an end to this RIGHT NOW!" whirrrr....

STOP THAT! ROLL MY WINDOW BACK UP RIGHT NOT! IT'S LIKE -10 DEGREES OUTSIDE!

"Not till you stop *evacuating* into my FINE Corinthian Leather man!"

Well, i think i'm just going to have to take a little nap here till you get me home!

"Oh yah?" BRRRRRRR! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Get off those rumble stripes right now! :eek:

"Redneck Cruise Control Sparkie...HOLD on tight!"

Listen man, if you need a place to crash you can always crash out at the farmstead!

"Oh yah, remember last time? The girlfriend wouldn't let me into the house and, i had to stay out in the Manger? LOT'S of fun when your Rocket friends are calling you *Jesus Christ*...ha...ha!" :eek:

Ah yes the fertile fields of Malta are surely in sight! :D

"Smells like someone here could do a good job *fertilizing* the fields of Malta!"

Anyhow...we patched things up over the years and, i surely do thank Sather for allowing me to crash on his couch later that day...

Although he did a thorough Twinkie Bomb check of my gym bag and, truck before he allowed me into the house...Can't be too careful when strangers love to feed your dog an occasional surprise! :lol:

By the way, a good friend of mine who shows up every year but, is not a Rocket flier took a short 9 second cell phone video of my launch on Sunday and, sent it too me last night. I quickly uploaded it to me humble, mostly boring, very quite You-Tube channel and, i invite you to watch my other videos while your there.

I spoke too soon on the grain pitch out as in the video it looks like it was about a half second into the burn...

Oh! :surprised: IF you have youngsters i highly recommend due to language and, content that they not watch the Bong Video that says NSFW.

I'd hate for any of you to think less of me than you may already do. :lol:

Enjoy!

David my friend, give me a countdown and, send it on it's way please! ;)

https://youtu.be/uydnNvz2m2Q

Ted,
They contacted me for a raffle prize.
Then said I could not go but still wanted me to donate??

:rofl:

Gus, buddy, I love reading your posts, 'cause you can see in them just how your mind is working (nonstop) and your wit and sense of humor really come through. You nailed this one! Sabrina is a smart, confident young lady who knows what she wants and forges ahead to it. You missed a great ECOF this year when she gave Tim a big smack-down. You go, girl!

Humble thank-you Sather... Unlike yourself i have never been a father but, Kelly and, Ben have greatly benefited from YOUR wisdom/knowledge! :D

I am SO proud of Manny and, what he has done over the years but, now that he has become more *Self Aware* :shock: i had too start looking for someone else too pass it along to.

She caught my eye awhile back and, just like with Manny i saw something that said- Do it, pass it on, this one's special. Between me and, the rest of the great people around here i think she will succeed in all her aspirations and, dreams by learning from us.

She stands out...Wait till i open up my bag of tricks...

(She's ALREADY challenged me to a drag race with her Christmas present this year- an Aerotech Mirage) When most other girls her age are leaving their Barbies behind and, putting on make-up!

I better put some *tricks* into my own Mirage, it's going to be a tough battle! ;)

Game on girl!

Last edited:
Road trip to Peoria on Saturday, November 21... Adrian I'll pick you up, but no Twinkies. I prefer zingers.... And Monster

That ain't right...
I wanna go...
No fair man....

WWWaaahhhhhhhh...

Teddy

You know, nothing's stopping you from moving to the midwest. I hear Princeton is a nice place to live, and you could go to every QCRS launch!

You know, nothing's stopping you from moving to the midwest. I hear Princeton is a nice place to live, and you could go to every QCRS launch!

hahahaha,,
OK,,
uproot and move for a launch...
I'mean it's a really great field and I love the whole club but jeezzzz...lol..

Teddy

As promised, here is the onboard video from the flight. The cameras are pointed 90 degrees from each other, one is pointed up at the kite to check for tangling and watch the control line activation the other is pointed forward relative to the direction of flight of the kite.

[video=youtube;uHWgrsvF7VM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHWgrsvF7VM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

hahahaha,,
OK,,
uproot and move for a launch...

Teddy

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! (Says Jason on his best impersonation of Teddy)

I dunno Teddy - I'm really questioning your commitment to rocketry here.

Plus it's not just a great field, but then you're also close to Bong- with it's wide open, dry fields, with no trees, or swamps, or brush that's over your head, or horse poop, or potholes that you twist your ankle in. Nope, none of that there, and all your rockets land less than 200 feet from the pads

As promised, here is the onboard video from the flight. The cameras are pointed 90 degrees from each other, one is pointed up at the kite to check for tangling and watch the control line activation the other is pointed forward relative to the direction of flight of the kite.

[video=youtube;uHWgrsvF7VM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHWgrsvF7VM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Great video, Brian. What editing software did you use to stitch the two files together... makes a good reference when you see how they both move. Like having reeeeaaaaallllyy good peripheral vision.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! (Says Jason on his best impersonation of Teddy)

hahahahaha.....
I'll bet ya anything Jason will be saying that till the next MWP.....

He definitely watches too much TV......lol...

Teddy

I dunno Teddy - I'm really questioning your commitment to rocketry here.

Plus it's not just a great field, but then you're also close to Bong- with it's wide open, dry fields, with no trees, or swamps, or brush that's over your head, or horse poop, or potholes that you twist your ankle in. Nope, none of that there, and all your rockets land less than 200 feet from the pads

Wow,,,
Hole smokes man,,,
Everytime?????

I hang my head in shame.....lol...

Teddy

OK guy's,,,
I finally got around to processing some pic's I took at MWP...
I love checking out all of your pic's because you get to relive the event all over again...lol...
Would you please check them out on my site ??

https://onebadhawk.com/midwest-power-10312015.html

I really don't want to try to upload them all here...

I got a couple of really cool shots of some AP trying to dig a hole in the ground...lol...
My favorite...lol...

Teddy

Thanks Dix,,
It sure was a lot easier to just put them up on my site
rather then getting them up here in a post...

I always loved when you use a fast shutter and catch
the earth being ripped up by some serious thrust....

Teddy

Hey Dix,,
I'd love to have met you,,
I know you having some knee and or hip trouble...
Next year for sure,, without a doubt......

You feel better.....

Teddy

DVD's are coming along nicely, about halfway through post producing the footage... Lots more work to go... :)

Glad you all like it thus far... :)

Looking for info on a few flights:
- Friday afternoon, right after Sather's Isaac Newton flew, the red Wildman Jr. on a J-420 Red, who's rocket is this?
- Friday afternoon, orange and blue three fin rocket that shredded on a white motor, ...details?
- Sunday LATE afternoon, AT L-850, three fin rocket, ... details?
- Sunday LATE afternoon, 4" rocket that had an radio controlled parachute, ... details?
- Sunday LATE LAST FLIGHT of the day... two high school/college kids, 4" glass rocket, CTI L-640... who flew this details please?

Thank you,

The orange and blue rocket was Taildragger 2. A scratch built 4 " fiberglass rocket with rear ejection and flying on an L1090. I guess that was just a bit too much motor...... :facepalm:

Back