Midwest Power XIII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, a couple of slow liftoffs there between 1:00 and 1:20 on the video (at least I'm assuming they weren't played in slo-mo).

I don't know how you do it!!! Absolutely awesome!!! Thanks Justin, I can't wait for the video.

This was a great launch to have recorded. Would have been a shame not to be able to share it with others. Thank you again for all your work!

Glad you all like it thus far... :)

Looking for info on a few flights:
- Friday afternoon, right after Sather's Isaac Newton flew, the red Wildman Jr. on a J-420 Red, who's rocket is this?
- Friday afternoon, orange and blue three fin rocket that shredded on a white motor, ...details?
- Sunday LATE afternoon, AT L-850, three fin rocket, ... details?
- Sunday LATE afternoon, 4" rocket that had an radio controlled parachute, ... details?
- Sunday LATE LAST FLIGHT of the day... two high school/college kids, 4" glass rocket, CTI L-640... who flew this details please?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Just returned from some travels..

Great teaser Justin; great vids Speedy, great photos Sather, Dan, Scott, Mark, and Justin!

Thank you Jason and co. at QCRS for putting on another wonderful MWP! Will stay and play more next year, I promise!:wink:

Great to see rocketry friends, both old and new! Will post a few photos in the near future, though I didn't take many.

-Eric-

Its up on the YouTubes! :)

Yes it IS!:D Must have watched it at least 50 times and, it only gets better!

Volbeat just rocks too Dude! :headbang: Can i borrow a few lines from another band just south of our happy little Danish friends? Good! :eek:

Tease me.
Please me.
No one needs to know, oh no! :no:
Tease me.
Please me.
Before i have to go!

Come on!

Spread the word around.
Boys are back in town.
Reeling and, rocking-
Were rolling with it win or lose!

Ahhhh....forget about it, no one's ever heard of them anyway...:point:

I'm really glad though that you got some great video of Chicago Fire on Sunday because, between Kansas and, MWP13 "Speedy" grabbed so much video of *everyone else's rockets*....including the dirt! :p That he missed mine...:sigh:

No cookies for Speedy the next time i see him...

:rolleyes: Of course IF i had a girlfriend that looked like his, i'd spent all weekend back at the motel! ;)

WHOOOMF! There it is...Dawg! :lol:

Seriously, Justin man i was able to prove what i thought had caused my minor course change in the flight and, back it up. When i got home and, cut my liner apart i noticed that the Nozzle grain had un-bonded and, sucked out at about 1/4 second...
I was able to see that happening in your handheld portion (and, how you can chase a bullet i will NEVER know.) :confused:

I should have listened to Sabrina when she said: "Your not getting enough glue on that bottom grain Mister Gus! MORE GLUE! :eek: Listen to me, i know what i'm talking about...";)
She WAS right!

Last edited:

- Sunday LATE LAST FLIGHT of the day... two high school/college kids, 4" glass rocket, CTI L-640... who flew this details please?

Thank you,

Ran into these guys at Culvers.. I think they're from Madison WI... I'll check with the girlfriend....

At about 2:12 in the video... I looked... and was thinking "Wow... that's a LOT of motor.... but it's a big rocket... that thing couldn't POSSIBLY dissape--"
WOOOSH

Anyone have the specs on that flight? It's the one that shows in the video thumbnail image.

At about 2:12 in the video... I looked... and was thinking "Wow... that's a LOT of motor.... but it's a big rocket... that thing couldn't POSSIBLY dissape--"
WOOOSH

Anyone have the specs on that flight? It's the one that shows in the video thumbnail image.

Gus' 5.5" Madcow Frenzy Massive on a CTI N10,000.

My Telemetrum took a ride on this flight and reported max acceleration of 68g.

WOOOSH

Gus Piepenburg's 5.5" FWFG rocket (60lb pad weight) on an N10k

11 and change per the Telemetrum, I think MB posted the data earlier in this thread

Perfect recovery about 100yds off of FM1950

-sh

Gus' 5.5" Madcow Frenzy Massive on a CTI N10,000.

My Telemetrum took a ride on this flight and reported max acceleration of 68g.

Very cool flight. 68g sounds high. N10000 max thrust 2600#, 60# rocket on pad, dry weight 48#. Max accel 2600/60 = 43g low est, 2600/48 = 54g high estimate. One altimeter on-board got it close I think.... :wink:

So, my coverage of MWP13 is a bit limited this year. I was in Princeton for a total of 15 hours; of that, I saw my eyelids for 6, at the field for 7, and was harassed by creepy skeleton the remainder of the time. Limited photos were taken, but here they are.

I retired my level 3 bird (built 2004) after 10 flights following Midwest Power 10. Hung in it the rafters and called it a career. After 3 years of interrogation from the kids, it returned to fly at MWP13. Modernized the electronics a bit, replaced some nylon recovery harness, and away she went. Poised on the pad:

044_zps5zlhffkz.jpg

She moved right on out with a Sconnie M2000 Blue...baby M in the 75-6000 hardware. Mad Bomber Steve on the mic.

047_zpsjgitjfnp.jpg

Jersey Fred T flew multiple multi-staged rockets at MWP! Here's a two-stager taking off on some V-max...maybe a J1055?!

048_zpsdtaamcp3.jpg

Intentional separation and simulcoasting!

049_zpsnzlvfnit.jpg

Sustainer ignition! Well done; good show indeed!

051_zpsdctm61ah.jpg

After having a rough day on Friday, Gary Pletzer returns to the pads with a smile on Sunday! Loving this bright new RW Rogue design! Sweet rocket, Gary!

058_zps6ivwktnw.jpg

Rogue meets blue sky thanks to a CTI Skid...quite possibly a J360SK! Nice!

069_zpsxtrhrbko.jpg

George Pike had a long skinny rocket paired with a red motor...ascent!

064_zpstvns92k7.jpg

Tom Cayemberg with his Wilson II with grandson Cody helping out! The duck kept finding its way onto nosecones and Cody kept reminding us to remove duck before flight.

059_zpsmsnecltt.jpg

Wilson launched well on a Sconnie 75-3500 L810 White.

072_zpsxpdu4c5w.jpg

Still going....

073_zps2yija7ml.jpg

Part II coming soon...

-Eric-

great pics Eric- that separation one on the two stager is awesome!

stupid question- what's a Sconnie? :)

- Friday afternoon, right after Sather's Isaac Newton flew, the red Wildman Jr. on a J-420 Red, who's rocket is this?
- Friday afternoon, orange and blue three fin rocket that shredded on a white motor, ...details?
- Sunday LATE afternoon, AT L-850, three fin rocket, ... details?
- Sunday LATE afternoon, 4" rocket that had an radio controlled parachute, ... details?

Thank you,

Justin,

I had a Blue & Orange w/ silver nose & fins, 54 minimum diameter that went sideways, cause the Ellis mountain motor didn't come up to pressure fast enough. The fly away rail guides may have made it look like it shredded. Is that the one your thinking of?

Mike Gross

John always gives me the best video content :)

Those are really great videos. So I have to ask. The corkscrew rocket is obviously intentional (how does one do that in a controlled fashion???), but I can't tell, was the skywriter also intentional? My first assumption was no but now I'm wondering. If that was intentional how the heck does that work? The sudden 90-degree bends were quite impressive as were the initial flips, but I can't fathom how any of that could be done intentionally (not that I intend to try anything like that, just really curious).

[video=youtube;y7e4FXBzCPw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7e4FXBzCPw[/video]

[video=youtube;AUf9vlDInfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUf9vlDInfE[/video]

great pics Eric- that separation one on the two stager is awesome!

stupid question- what's a Sconnie? :)

Thanks Glen! Sconnie is slang for Wisconsin...there used to be a fantastic music video on Youtube giving a more descriptive version of what it is to be "Sconnie". Nevertheless, I call my little research motor operation "Sconnie Motor Works".

-Eric-

Sunday continued...

ChuckH and JasonG dragged their Arcas HV's on similarly sized white RX motors.

Apparently Crazy Cracker White pressurizes more quickly...note yellow nosed Charlie Brown Arcas sitting on the pad to the left:

074_zpsol4a39fh.jpg

....and it burns Purdy nicely as well: love the glow of magnesium rich propellant!

075_zpsdawfw4wp.jpg

Sorry Griff, could only follow one at a time and the camera followed the first off the pad.

The next rack of rockets were mostly smokies or sparkies...don't know why, they just were. My little guy noticed the Frozen Magg on the rack...his favorite rocket of MWP13!

079_zpsxg0g8nmx.jpg

Frozen Magg flew on a CTI Smokey Sam!

085_zpsfioht1fn.jpg

...and so did my son's second favorite rocket of MWP...a crayon rocket...I think I know the owner of this one, I just can't remember he/she right now:

088_zpsdrpl1qhu.jpg

While we're at it, Dad flew his Rainbow Eclipse on a Gorilla K533 Black Lightning. More sparks than black smoke here:

091_zpsmxmrwsxc.jpg

Also burning titanium and fuel rich propellant was Greg Olson. In a cool tribute to his Dad who passed away earlier in 2015, Greg flew the Rocketman WaHoo that his Dad built to certify into High Power Rocketry a few years back at a TWA Bong launch. Great tribute, Greg, I'm certain he enjoyed the flight as much as we did!

121_zps8hyzvdj4.jpg

And last of my brief photo dump is from Bill Bertoldi of Kingsford, MI. Bill had an original 3" Wildman kit that he flew on CTI Green3 propellant...looked to be about a 54-3grain. I missed the pad shot, so made up for it with blue skied background shots:

Mid-burn:

110_zpsi0cjqulw.jpg

Deploying the Mains:

112_zpsupl7lip7.jpg

Twin Top Flight descent:

118_zpstlpekzht.jpg

That's all for now, folks. Looking forward to making it to a couple of QCRS launches this winter/spring! With the unseasonably warm weather, maybe it'll still be in the 50's for the December launch!

-Eric-

Very cool flight. 68g sounds high. N10000 max thrust 2600#, 60# rocket on pad, dry weight 48#. Max accel 2600/60 = 43g low est, 2600/48 = 54g high estimate. One altimeter on-board got it close I think.... :wink:

hahahahahahahahaha.....
Hey,,,
dats a plug..........lol...

Teddy

Those are really great videos. So I have to ask. The corkscrew rocket is obviously intentional (how does one do that in a controlled fashion???), but I can't tell, was the skywriter also intentional? My first assumption was no but now I'm wondering. If that was intentional how the heck does that work? The sudden 90-degree bends were quite impressive as were the initial flips, but I can't fathom how any of that could be done intentionally (not that I intend to try anything like that, just really curious).

Corkscrewing is done by an off center motor mount. Looks like a moon burner core sort of but generally is not up against the wall of the body tube. Now the details as to how to adjust the frequency I'll leave to someone smarter than I.

Some years ago a fellow brought a very large corkscrew rocket to MWP. I believe he was from Georgia. That was a neat flight too. Kurt Savegnago

Wow Justin,,
You got some fantastic video AND stills...
You sure worked your butt off for all of those...
It's like reliving the event all over again..
THANK YOU very much man...
And it was really nice meeting you....lol..

Teddy

So, my coverage of MWP13 is a bit limited this year. I was in Princeton for a total of 15 hours; of that, I saw my eyelids for 6, at the field for 7, and was harassed by creepy skeleton the remainder of the time. Limited photos were taken, but here they are.

I retired my level 3 bird (built 2004) after 10 flights following Midwest Power 10. Hung in it the rafters and called it a career. After 3 years of interrogation from the kids, it returned to fly at MWP13. Modernized the electronics a bit, replaced some nylon recovery harness, and away she went. Poised on the pad:

044_zps5zlhffkz.jpg

She moved right on out with a Sconnie M2000 Blue...baby M in the 75-6000 hardware. Mad Bomber Steve on the mic.-

Eric

What launchsite did you do the L3 with the Thunderbird at and when? Kurt Savegnago

Corkscrewing is done by an off center motor mount. Looks like a moon burner core sort of but generally is not up against the wall of the body tube. Now the details as to how to adjust the frequency I'll leave to someone smarter than I.

Some years ago a fellow brought a very large corkscrew rocket to MWP. I believe he was from Georgia. That was a neat flight too. Kurt Savegnago

That was John's Corkscrew as well. In addition to the offset motor mount, there are also tabs on the trailing edges of the fins to give it some spin.

I doubt that he intended for the one to skywrite, but it happens so often you have to wonder :D

Back