solidworks,CATIA, Rhino?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffmurray

Reaction score
does anyone use solidworks, CATIA or similar to design or test their rockets. I would be interested in what you think about them for model rocketry. I picked up a student license of solidworks and CATIA, Im working my way through their use right now. I hope to be able to pass the SWCP within a year or so.

I use Solidworks exclusively because I get a free student license through FIRST robotics. I'm actually CAD'ing one of my rockets right now.

Used solid works to model Tin Tin's moon rocket, then printed one (rapid prototyping). Still need to finish and fly...

Mike

do you ever use flow simulation with rockets? is it actually helpful, or does it provide more insight than OR or RockSim?

I solidworks all my designs down to the screws and av bay components. I also just started work at a place with flow analysis, and wind tunnels and an engineer who worked on the shuttle engines... And the VP of engineering is thinking about getting into HPR. JACKPOT!

In my work life, I used CFD extensively for about 23 years. I also did a few NARAM R&D projects using it. You can get lots of information from a simulation, but it can take a lot of time, in fact it usually does 😄. It is probably overkill for most things, unless you are trying something completely new and you have the time. Stability calculations require a lot of runs, so take even longer. There is free software available (openFoam), but you really need a multi-processor system to make it run fast. I tended to run jobs on a minimum of 32 cores, but usually 128 or more.

You do get cool pictures, though!

Mike

In my work life, I used CFD extensively for about 23 years. I also did a few NARAM R&D projects using it. You can get lots of information from a simulation, but it can take a lot of time, in fact it usually does . It is probably overkill for most things, unless you are trying something completely new and you have the time. Stability calculations require a lot of runs, so take even longer. There is free software available (openFoam), but you really need a multi-processor system to make it run fast. I tended to run jobs on a minimum of 32 cores, but usually 128 or more.

You do get cool pictures, though!

Mike
Sounds like you just need a nvidia GPU card and Cuda. Multiple TFLOP for a less than a grand.

https://international.download.nvid...shared/images/products/shared/lineup-full.png

State of the Art unit. https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-x/specifications 3072 CUDA cores, 1 GHz base clock speed.

[video=youtube;9BEdK5R-VAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BEdK5R-VAs[/video]

:wink:

Bob

Sounds like you just need a nvidia GPU card and Cuda. Multiple TFLOP for a less than a grand.

https://international.download.nvid...shared/images/products/shared/lineup-full.png

State of the Art unit. https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-titan-x/specifications 3072 CUDA cores, 1 GHz base clock speed.

[video=youtube;9BEdK5R-VAs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BEdK5R-VAs[/video]

:wink:

Bob

Bob, that is a really serious card. The stats are crazy. Alas, I have a toy system compared to that. Seriously thinking though of picking up a refurbished workstation class computer with 8-12 Xeon cores though.

Thats a pretty impressive card. computers just get more and more amazing. Thanks for the input guys, I have started goung through the tutorials for SW flow simulations and playing around with them and its pretty interesting stuff. So far I like solidworks, seems fairly intuitive, havent spent to much time with CATIA yet.

Thats a pretty impressive card. computers just get more and more amazing. Thanks for the input guys, I have started goung through the tutorials for SW flow simulations and playing around with them and its pretty interesting stuff. So far I like solidworks, seems fairly intuitive, havent spent to much time with CATIA yet.

That card is very good for crunching data but the best graphics cards for CAD software are Nvidia Quadro or AMD FirePro cards. They let you use all of the graphical features in the cad software, and render large assemblies much more smoothly.

CATIA is quite similar to solidworks, I haven't extensively used CATIA either but from what I understand the main difference is it's a PLM software not just a 3d design (PLM = product life management). So what that means is you can design everything from the product itself to the factory that you will produce the product in. I also believe CATIA handles multi-user environments better, since I think it has better file management systems, and is a bit more optimized with that usage in mind.

So basically you would design a Jet Engine in Solidworks, but you would design the entire airplane in CATIA. So Solidworks kinda is the cheap version of CATIA for people who really don't need all the extra junk.

The main competitor to CATIA is Siemens NX. Boeing uses CATIA, Lockheed Martin and Space X used Siemens NX. Most of the smaller New Space aerospace companies design just in Solidworks, and use exterior programs like Numeca for detailed CFD. So if you are interested in working for any of those companies it might not hurt to be a bit more familiar with their software of choice.

I did a quick look through their website. What do you see as the advantage to the system?

The main and biggest is the up front cost. I don't know what the upfront cost of the other CAD packages, I bought Geomagic (at the time it was Alibre) over 5 years ago an it was under a $1000. I think it is around (depending of what version you have, mine is the full blown version called Design) $1500. Then there is yearly maintenance. I know SoildWorks is around $1500. GM for Design is $400 per year (again the different version have different yearly fees). This maintenance fee is an optional. If you do not renew it each year then you will lose support and any program updates. So the cost is much lower then other CAD packages.

GM is an extremely powerful easy to use CAD package. The 3D modeling tools makes a model very easy to draw. Take a look at at some models done by others at https://grabcad.com/library/software/alibre-design?per_page=20 and https://grabcad.com/library/software/geomagic-design?per_page=20 As can see the model can be very complex. Gm makes this very easy by assembling parts or sub-assemblies into the final model. For example let's build a engine mount. First you draw the engine tube using new part function an draw two circles (ID an OD) then extrund the circle to the length of the motor. Then save that drawing. Next open a new file an draw the thrust rings. Next comes assembling these two drawing to form the fianal engine mount. You make a new assembly file. In this new file you insert the engine tube and the thrust rings (twice). Next using the assembly tools you postion the thrust rings on the engine tube. An you are done making a motor mount. When it comes time to actual mount, you can print (depending on the size) a full size print to use as template. I do this for my fins.

Another feature I( use is the Sheet Metal function. Again using the 3D tools I can design a shroud or a fairing. Then using the sheet metal function I turn that 3D model into a flat pattern. Which I use as a template to cut cardboard, carbon fiber, or fiberglass.

It make 3D printing a snap also. You can generate the G-Code with out leaving GM. You just select what model of 3D printer you have an GM will genterate the code ready to send the printer.

I could go on an on about the features of GM an how it makes designing a bird extremely easy an fast. For the price you simply can not bet it's power.

Rocket Nut

Last edited:
I am new to this forum. I do not know how to stop the URL link and return to normal text in my last post.

If you want to see some of my models here is a link to them grabcad.com/mylibrarymodels. Just click on the model to see more details of the model.

Last edited:
Another question
First I want to change my user name,from RocketNut9 to RocketNut1001 (my old and inactive trip number). How can I do that?

Second I can not edit my profile. It says I do not have permission!!

Back