Pro29 question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketman248

Reaction score
I just got a shipment of motors today. One of them was the Pro29 I204 Imax. When I get a motor with a propellant I've never flown before, I make it a point to look at the grains. Just so I have an idea of what the propellant looks like.

This particular motor didn't have the ignition pellet in the top grain, yet the supplied ignitor is still just a plain ematch. Is this normal for this motor, or was it a mixup somewhere?

I've never flown that motor, but that does not sound normal. All motors without a pellet that I have flown use a dipped e-match rather than a plain one. You could always try it and see if it works, but I would say you will nearly definitely need a different igniter if there isn't a pellet in the motor core.

...yet the supplied ignitor is still just a plain ematch.
Very well spotted! This motor requires a dipped igniter. Not a plain ematch. This motor might light with an e-match, but it is not guaranteed to light it. Please PM me the details of this motor (when/where purchased etc), so we can track down if there are more motors that were shipped with the plain igniter.

Sorry about the mix-up. - Growing pains?

Jeroen

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey, if that and the small grain mixup are CTI's growing pains, the compnay is doing really well.

Maybe this was the problem with my F29 at LDRS 29. It chuffed for several seconds before getting my IQSY Tomahawk off the pad for an underpowered flight. The chute popped just before impact and sustained no damage. It will fly again. That's the important thing.

It was good meeting Jeroen at LDRS 29.

I have an I 204 that I picked up at last years LDRS & it does have a dipped e-match & the booster pellet as well....

JD

Very well spotted! This motor requires a dipped igniter. Not a plain ematch. This motor might light with an e-match, but it is not guaranteed to light it. Please PM me the details of this motor (when/where purchased etc), so we can track down if there are more motors that were shipped with the plain igniter.

Jeroen

As someone new to CTI engines I assumed all of them used the compressed black powder pellet and an ematch. Which reloads differ from this? This could be important information when planning clusters, airstarts and multistage launches.

As someone new to CTI engines I assumed all of them used the compressed black powder pellet and an ematch. Which reloads differ from this? This could be important information when planning clusters, airstarts and multistage launches.

From what I can tell, it is mainly motors with very large cores for the motor size (Vmax, White Thunder, occasionally Imax), as they would require a very large pellet to fit snugly in the core. They still use low current igniters (dipped ematches), but they don't always light as quickly. Also, all Pro75 and larger motors use a dipped ematch rather than a pellet.

Jeroen

As long as your here, I've got a question:

Are any of the CTI motors classified by the CA State Fire Marshal as "Model Rocket Motors"?

I ask because in the past some manufacturers who primarily make and sell HPR motors submitted all theri motors as HPR motors and had them all classified as HPR motors by the CSFM (with the HPR CSFM seal printed on the instructions/casing/or package).

If there was a list that would be great, or (even better) if you were to post a copy of the various CSFM letters in a resources page of the CTI website it would help a lot of potential consumers of your products. And it would help RSOs in California.

Thanks!

So far there has been no response to this public question or to the PM I sent.

:(:confused2:

As long as your here, I've got a question:

Are any of the CTI motors classified by the CA State Fire Marshal as "Model Rocket Motors"?

I ask because in the past some manufacturers who primarily make and sell HPR motors submitted all theri motors as HPR motors and had them all classified as HPR motors by the CSFM (with the HPR CSFM seal printed on the instructions/casing/or package).

If there was a list that would be great, or (even better) if you were to post a copy of the various CSFM letters in a resources page of the CTI website it would help a lot of potential consumers of your products. And it would help RSOs in California.

Thanks!

So far there has been no response to this public question or to the PM I sent.

:(:confused2:

Sometimes no answer is an answer of no. None of the reloads I have show the CSFM seal - if they had it I'll bet they would show it.

Life is so much easier in the other 49 states!

Latest posts

Back