G Harry Stine 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Reaction score
Folks, Superstition Spacemodeling Society is happy to announce that the waiver for our Airfield site has been approved for 10K MSL with call-ins to 16K.

GHS, our Annual tribute to G. Harry Stine will be held this year at our Airfield site on October 16, 17, & 18.

Please see our website for more information.

https://sssrocketry.com/

I'm planning on hauling a batch of rockets up from Tucson and attending. Got a CTI M1770 Skidmark coming in from Wildman for the occasion. Guy said it should be good to go provided the wind isn't blowing towards I-10. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it won't be more than 90 degrees during the day.

Since there is no night launch I don't have to haul the 4 rockets I'll be flying at SARA Saturday night Oct. 10th.

GHS! Who's coming?
Come out, Fly to 16,000MSL, join the potluck, win a raffle prize, buy a T-Shirt!

12113308_10204479589261367_1969794242615910740_o.jpg

https://sssrocketry.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/GHS-2015-Flyer1.pdf

(C) 2015 Superstition Spacemodeling Society, LLC.

Last edited:
Ill be out there Saturday afternoon. I don't have anything big but would I love to catch a large rocket with the quadcopter at 300 or 400 feet. I would be comfortable doing that at the airfield site. Miles when are you planning on sending up the big skidmark?

Ill be out there Saturday afternoon. I don't have anything big but would I love to catch a large rocket with the quadcopter at 300 or 400 feet.

I'm planning to launch my Stinger on a L1250 Dark Matter. It's a short, fat rocket that weighs 17 lbs that will go around 8600 feet (I'll have to get a call in for it, it's right at the waiver). Should be showy. Depending on winds I'm planning to launch it Saturday after lunch. But it may not be a large enough rocket for what you are trying to capture photogenically.

006.jpg

I'm planning to launch my Stinger on a L1250 Dark Matter. It's a short, fat rocket that weighs 17 lbs that will go around 8600 feet (I'll have to get a call in for it, it's right at the waiver). Should be showy. Depending on winds I'm planning to launch it Saturday after lunch. But it may not be a large enough rocket for what you are trying to capture photogenically.

006.jpg

We can give it a shot, It will be more of a smoke trail deal, I have three batteries so I can do more than 1. We will give it a shot :)

Ill be out there Saturday afternoon. I don't have anything big but would I love to catch a large rocket with the quadcopter at 300 or 400 feet. I would be comfortable doing that at the airfield site. Miles when are you planning on sending up the big skidmark?

I was planning on putting up an Interceptor AAD 98 or a Madcow Fiberglass Super DX3 on a K456 DM Saturday, the other on Sunday, and then a 45 pound 11.5 foot tall guy on a K1103X on Sunday.

I built the motor last night and plan to fly it on Saturday by when depends on the wind speed and direction. I'll fly it Sunday morning if I can't Saturday.

I'm also bringing the Pumpkin King to fly on a K650 Smokey Sam.

I built the motor last night and plan to fly it on Saturday by when depends on the wind speed and direction. I'll fly it Sunday morning if I can't Saturday.

I'm also bringing the Pumpkin King to fly on a K650 Smokey Sam.

Nice! Seems like a ton of good photo opportunities, DSLR and the quad will get good usage. I cant recall if I have seen the pumpkin king, I am sure I have but you have so many cool/ unique ones I lose track.

NOTAM is in place. Forecast is 85F with winds to 12mph, sat morn winds from ESE, sat afternoon and sun morn winds from N. Friday scattered thunderstorms clearing saturday and sunday. See you all there!

Guy

No vendors will be on-site.

Bummer...I've only got 1 54mm K1440WT and I was kind of saving it for a SARA launch. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1444992064.412363.jpg

With "sparky" L's & M's going up, I'm sure the pics and vids will be awesome! Best wishes to all for a safe and successful weekend!
Regards,
Brett

Great weather, light showers earlier this afternoon have cooled off the air and left blue skies with scattered clouds. About 20 groups have arrived, turning out to be a good launch this weekend.

bring money for Event T shirts and club coffee mugs!

Great turnout, and lots of good projects. A few M's, many K's, and several I's. SSS is back on the map!

The family had a great time and it was good to meet new people. The rockets I didn't get to fly are prepped for this Saturday at SARA and I only had to fly the Blue Moon on the M1770 Skidmark. Here are some pics from that flight to 6200'.

BLueMoonCTIM1770-1.jpg

BlueMoonCTIM1770onboard.jpg

BLueMoonCTIM1770-2.jpg

GHS from over 5000'.
GHS5Kaway.jpg

Beautiful rocket, nice looking pad too. Did you fit that in between the first two rain showers?

Sort of; I had to walk back with it in the rain :D

BTW, I left my folding chair in your camp; I'll have to get it next time you're out.

Last edited:
James, we taped your name to your chair and put it in the SSS club trailer. Our next scheduled launch with that club will be in February.
Sharon's camera decided to go on the fritz for this event, but before it did she got a shot of our campsite:
IMG_6444.jpg

We camped North of the launch area, hoping to spare others from our loud generator, but that didn't work. Everybody wanted to camp with us I guess... Flew a bunch of class 1 rockets Friday, in between the rain showers. Sharon flew her Eliminator on an E9-4, Great big daddy on a G75 metalstorm, Magician on an E12-6, blue ninja on an E12-4 and Hi flier XL on an F24. I flew my Aspire clone twice on a E9-6, and broke a fin on landing the second time, then flew my Executioner on a G75 metalstorm. All our flights were successful, lots of fun with the smaller rockets and easy to get them up with the pad only 30 ft. away.
Saturday was challenging with the rain and clouds, but we still got several flights in. Sharon flew the first flight with her AT Arreaux on a Roadrunner F60 after the fliers meeting, which occurred during the first rain shower. I flew my Darkstar Jr. on an I366 redline shortly after. Both flights were nominal, with mine landing closer due to the dual deploy. After another shower, Sharon flew her Dark Jart, a modified dual deploy Wildman kit on an I211 and I flew my Red tailed Extreme on an M1550 redline. Missed the first call in waiver window, but got it up in the second. Flew to 13,000 ft. and landed almost two miles to the North. We had to hike in .5 miles from the road to recover it, but it landed perfectly.
Potluck Saturday night was fun, with red, white and green chili, Mary's salsa (Guy's wife) and Rafael's beans, among other items. Desert was Geoffrey's brownies and Rafael's mom made cannoli's.
Sunday was slower, with most of the crowd gone. I flew my Vagabond on a E25 Roadrunner, Tommy 2 on an F35 and my L1 rocket "Duke Nukem" on an H123 Skidmark. Upper winds were cooking out of the South so neither Sharon nor I were flying any high altitude flights.
We really enjoyed this launch, and plan to come back in February for the next SSS launch scheduled here.

Wayne,

Thanks for the great summary! Actually the next SSS camping launch for the Airfield is scheduled for January since we cannot use the Hope site either January or February. The calendar has been updated with the BLM/FAA dates for November through May of next year. We are still working out the summer schedule (Park launches - too hot for the desert) and the competition schedule (day launches at the Airfield). It was great seeing everybody out there, the pot luck and round table at the campfire was awesome.

Guy

The numbers are in. GHS was a good turnout.

Preliminary launch report for GHS:

At this 3-day launch starting on 10/16/2015, the Superstition SpaceModeling Society had a total of 21
flyers and launched a total of 89 rockets consuming 92 motors. The success rate was 92%. These 89
flights burned up 26936 Newton-seconds of impulse, which is equivalent to an O class motor.

On day 1 there were 7 flights.
On day 2 there were 62 flights.
On day 3 there were 20 flights.

Next launch is Nov 6,7,8 at the Hope site. Weather should be great! Come out and fly!

Screen-Shot-2015-10-25-at-6.46.14-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-10-25-at-6.49.32-PM.png

DSC_0004-1024x685.jpg

DSC_0009-1024x685.jpg

Latest posts

Back