Patriot needs paint...any suggestions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My MADCOW L2 Patriot is almost complete. All I need to do is spray the paint, but undecided what color scheme I want to use. I could probably do the standard Red, White and Yellow, but I was thinking where the yellow is at I'll paint it blue?

99% of the assembly was done with wood glue and the build is pretty much as per instructions, so I'm assuming this will be pretty light, although I haven't weighed it and wanted to wait I was done painting it. I used plastic "snap" type rivets for the nose cone, which will allow me to remove it fairly easy. I also drilled vent holes for the altimeter

If you guys have any suggestions please share

Thanks!

20150909_125046.jpg20150909_125058.jpg20150909_125107.jpg20150909_125116.jpg20150909_125148.jpg

Standard Citation Patriot!

8849578400_532fced93b.jpg

Red, White, Blue, Black, Gold! Can't go wrong that way!

I painted one of my Patriots "primer grey" with a white flame pattern on top. I know it's not scale, but it did get a few likes.. I called it 'the grey goose'

My first large rocket was an NCR Patriot, back in 1992. I went with the traditional red/white/black. I have no idea where Estes came up with the yellow band at the top when they intro'd their Patriot back in the 90s -- maybe I just never saw that test round. Blue? Never saw that either.:)

I'd go with a known test round or operational round color scheme. Otherwise it is just a 4FNC.

Google "Patriot missile" and click on "Images". There are a lot of good pictures to give you some inspiration, if you want to stay with an authentic color scheme.

Here is a Lockheed picture of the Patriot with a brownish/reddish top section, but its a far cry from yellow:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4137/4781730188_ff1c01c724_z.jpg

Just to make things a bit more difficult...

I've been following related threads and even posted pics of the Patriot in the National Air and Space museum; however it was listed as a Patriot 2 missile (PAC-2) and I noticed it had the white side "tunnels" and wasn't sure if that was specific to the PAC-2. Are there significant differences between the exteriors of the PAC-1 and PAC-2 missiles? I know the PAC-3 is very different, but I wanted to know if it's inaccurate to put a PAC-2 paint scheme on a PAC-1 rocket.

Just to make things a bit more difficult...

I've been following related threads and even posted pics of the Patriot in the National Air and Space museum; however it was listed as a Patriot 2 missile (PAC-2) and I noticed it had the white side "tunnels" and wasn't sure if that was specific to the PAC-2. Are there significant differences between the exteriors of the PAC-1 and PAC-2 missiles? I know the PAC-3 is very different, but I wanted to know if it's inaccurate to put a PAC-2 paint scheme on a PAC-1 rocket.

I don't know anything about that, but what would MADCOW's kit be considered a PAC 1 or PAC 2? Is there a difference in the shape of the nose cone or are we just talking about the decals?

I don't know anything about that, but what would MADCOW's kit be considered a PAC 1 or PAC 2? Is there a difference in the shape of the nose cone or are we just talking about the decals?

You've got me...I'm trying to figure out the same myself! To be honest, I wasn't even aware that there was a PAC-2 missile which could be different and confused with the other until I checked my pic of the one at the museum and saw that it was listed as "Patriot 2". I was aware that that one had the white side "tunnels", but now I'm wondering if all PAC-2 have them and PAC-1 doesn't. I tried a quick search on the internet to figure out the visual differences, but couldn't find anything definitive.

I guess it depends on how accurate you want it. If you're not a stickler for details, you can duplicate the tunnels with white strips of paint and you've got a PAC-2. I may actually make one of each since I have more than one Patriot kit (and also have a TLP PAC-3 kit). :grin:

Thanks Ken....now I know the difference.:)

No problemo! I just happened to see that the full link address for the second pic had "pac3" in it. :)

Regardless, don't let that stop you from using that paint scheme if you like it. I'm considering a gray scheme with fluorescent red fins copying what another member did at my club on a larger patriot rocket. Looked great and also easier to spot if it goes into the bush/in a tree.

No problemo! I just happened to see that the full link address for the second pic had "pac3" in it. :)

Regardless, don't let that stop you from using that paint scheme if you like it. I'm considering a gray scheme with fluorescent red fins copying what another member did at my club on a larger patriot rocket. Looked great and also easier to spot if it goes into the bush/in a tree.

Do you have any pics of the rocket? Was the whole rocket gray minus the nose cone?

Do you have any pics of the rocket? Was the whole rocket gray minus the nose cone?

Unfortunately I don't. I think the nosecone was fluorescent red as well. The owner mentioned to me that it was done so that it can be easily spotted from far away (we launch on a farm and sometimes the crops can get tall enough to swallow rockets).

The pic Tominus has above looks great and is a nice representation of the pattern on the PAC-2 at the museum I saw.

Back