Going under the knife...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixontj93060

Reaction score
Well it is official... Confirmed by orthopedic surgeon this morning. I will be getting two joint replacements over the next 4 to 6 months. First one, my left knee comes the end of the month. After looking at my joints and seeing the range of motion/pain I was experiencing he tried to get me in as quickly as possible. After the knee will come the right hip maybe as soon as late Dec./Jan.

IMG_2114.jpg

Best wishes and good luck! Surgery straight lays me out for a few days at least, even orthoscopic. Then you still have to recover from the operation itself, and that is tough.

Good luck. It will be a challenge, but long term it should be much better.

I may be there myself, it this knee brace doesn't perform some miracles.

Best of luck.

Good luck. The decrease joint spacing on the left is easy enough even a caveman can see it.

All the best Dix,,
My prayers are with you...
Everyone I've ever spoken to that had a joint replacement surgery said the exact same thing,,,
Why did I wait so long to do this ??
I feel so much better now...
My wife just had her hip replaced,,
She said the same as well..
The pain you are going through right now is worse then the pain from surgery,,
When you wake you won't have that pain that you are so accustomed to right now...
and it only gets better and better from there...

Teddy

Best of luck to you in the coming months. Both my mom and sister have had both of their knees replaced (re-surfaced)... and they are netter for it! Of course the physical therapy was rough, but now they are back to walking and playing golf PAIN FREE! I just found out that the pain in my right knee is spurs and arthritis... There is possibly some knee work of my own in the next couple years.

Teddy is 100% correct. I had a total joint replacement of my left hip last October. They had me up and walking that afternoon:y: I was amazed that all the joint pain I had been experiencing was gone. Now almost a year later I can actually run for a short distance, something I haven't been able to do for several years.
Knees are a little tougher to recover from, but if you follow the instructions from the physical therapist you should heal quickly.
Believe me when I say that you will enjoy the hike to recover your rockets much, much more.
Good luck and enjoy all the build time while you recover.

Thanks everyone for the positive encouragement--but look more forward to hear more from those like Mike L. that went through the experience.

Best wishes, brother! Recovery walks are great therapy for this. I'd start with small rockets and work my way up to 1/4 mile away. Stay home on windy days.
( The above opinion is not the viewpoint of this forum. We do not endorse any political candidates or particular religion. We DO like pictures and thank you for posting your images-no matter how painful-looking they are! LOL, buddy-Good Karma your way!)

Good luck with the surgeries and I hope you have a speedy recovery! These things are always painful to go through, but usually after it's done, you wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Take care and spend more time on TFR! :wink:

Wishing you good luck and best wishes throughout this reconstruction/rehab project.

The Great Batmiteski foresees much rocket launching in your future after a brief set back. Soon it will be fun to walk across the field and recover! Best wishes.

You're likely to find that your operated knee will become your "good" knee and you'll be looking forward to getting the other one done.

Best wishes!

You're likely to find that your operated knee will become your "good" knee and you'll be looking forward to getting the other one done.

Best wishes!

+1.....
But I thought he said he needed a hip after the knee....
No matter...
After this is done,,
1- You will be amazed at how comfortable they can make you while they do major work on you like this...
2- You won't sweat the process so much anymore...

Teddy

Dixie? The doctors called and, said they saw something in the X-rays that requires immediate attention. I'm sorry but, their going too have to bump up your surgery and, get you in ASAP...

View attachment 271806:grin:

Seriously my friend, i hope everything goes well and, please keep us informed of the results when your able...

Had an ankle fused about a two months ago. Still in a brace but it feels pretty good. Will probably have the other one done next spring.

Dixie? The doctors called and, said they saw something in the X-rays that requires immediate attention. I'm sorry but, their going too have to bump up your surgery and, get you in ASAP...

View attachment 271806:grin:

Seriously my friend, i hope everything goes well and, please keep us informed of the results when your able...

I wonder who's bright idea THIS was?

I went through this in 2012. It actually wasn't too bad, I was back at work in 2 months. They will get you up and walking the day of surgery, and a couple times a day until they send you home. They wouldn't let me go until I could bend the knee 70*, if not, you may go home with a machine that moves it around, and have to be in that about 4-6 hours a day. Work with the therapists, and try to avoid that, it's just a real PITA to put up with. Pay attention to the docs and the PT people, and don't try to rush it. You'll be amazed in a few months time! Good luck!

Phil L.

Had an ankle fused about a two months ago. Still in a brace but it feels pretty good. Will probably have the other one done next spring.

I had to go and shoot my mouth. Last Friday I got cellulitis in that leg. Three days in the ICU 'cause my BP was in the 80's and temp up to 104. Still in hosp to get IV antibiotics. Most of leg below knee, is beet red and about 2x size.

Back