Going under the knife...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to go and shoot my mouth. Last Friday I got cellulitis in that leg. Three days in the ICU 'cause my BP was in the 80's and temp up to 104. Still in hosp to get IV antibiotics. Most of leg below knee, is beet red and about 2x size.

i had 4lines going in and one out. down to just one in now. nice icu tho - all ivs and mon equip was on ceiling mt articulated arms so w/o discon anything icould get up to use can - hate bedpans.

i had 4lines going in and one out. down to just one in now. nice icu tho - all ivs and mon equip was on ceiling mt articulated arms so w/o discon anything icould get up to use can - hate bedpans.
Best rocketeer vibes to you, brother! Get well soon!

Get better soon, man. I hope to see you next month at the meeting if you can make it.

dave

Well got through days 2 and 3. They say those are the toughest. Heading home from the hospital later this afternoon. Bruising is now dissipating, but still quite a bit of swelling all around.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1443885983.240864.jpg

That's one big band aid, Tim! Glad to hear it's going well so far. Best wishes on your recovery and rehab.

Mark

Oh man I'm glad to hear the worst is over...
It'll only get better / easier from here on ....
Good for you Dix...
I hope it wasn't too bad of an experience overall...
Feel better man...

Teddy

Amazing that they have reduced the size of the incision on those.

Well got through days 2 and 3. They say those are the toughest. Heading home from the hospital later this afternoon. Bruising is now dissipating, but still quite a bit of swelling all around.

View attachment 273507

I feel your pain, or at least I will in a few months...x2! I'm scheduled for surgery to have both knees replaced in December.

Wanted to wait so I can get in a few launches before then. Midwest Power and Three Oaks and then my long awaited knees!

After flying only one rocket at LDRS this year, I hope to get some stuff in the air first. :cool:

Tim,
I get my first replacement in May, then my second one six months later.
I'm just the opposite- Left hip, then right knee!
Keep us posted!

Evil Ed

Tim,
I get my first replacement in May, then my second one six months later.
I'm just the opposite- Left hip, then right knee!
Keep us posted!

Evil Ed

Ed, I remember a couple discussions we had regarding joints--glad to see your progress. /Tim

Well the doctor is very pleased. Checked lateral stability, twist and range of motion (0 to 125 degrees--almost as good as my right). Although he will follow up in another two months, by all accounts an unqualified success. Some pics below. Actually a three piece system from Johnson & Johnson (Attune brand) with a layer of plastic even on the back side of the knee cap (you may be able to see the pins holding that on).

Even though my hip still hurts, I'm no longer using the cane :yeah:. Looking forward to the hip being done in the Spring.

Positive thoughts out to Randy M. of rail-buttons.com as he goes in on 12/3 for a "double dipper."

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1448401647.980446.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1448401662.659638.jpg

Last edited:
I know two people who had to have the exact same surgeries. Both told me, that while it wasn't fun, move your knees as soon as you can. The longer you wait the stiffer they are later in life. So MOVE as soon as you can even if your brain is telling you to SIT.

Heyyy..
That's great news Tim...
Good for you man....
Isn't it funny how much easier these things are in hindsight. .....
That ones good to go now,, as soon as they get your hip
All dune up you'll be a dancin in the streets.....lol....

Really nice to hear man..

Teddy

Well the doctor is very pleased. Checked lateral stability, twist and range of motion (0 to 125 degrees--almost as good as my right). Although he will follow up in another two months, by all accounts an unqualified success. Some pics below. Actually a three piece system from Johnson & Johnson (Attune brand) with a layer of plastic even on the back side of the knee cap (you may be able to see the pins holding that on).

Even though my hip still hurts, I'm no longer using the cane :yeah:. Looking forward to the hip being done in the Spring.

Positive thoughts out to Randy M. of rail-buttons.com as he goes in on 12/3 for a "double dipper."

View attachment 276707

View attachment 276708

Thanks Tim. As the 3rd gets closer it's starting to become all too real! Had my Pre-OP on Monday and in a follow up call, found out because I'm having both done I'm qualified for either at home or in-patient rehab.
Advantages and dis-advantages to both, but after talking to a few of the PT people, decided that in-patient will be the best way to go. In-home I would get therapy 3 times a week for an hour, in-patient would be 3 hours of therapy a day. Kind of a no brainer since the price is the same. The only downside is in-patient therapy is one floor up from my office...so that means I will be living at work! :-( But then I feel like I already do sometimes. :)

So that means not being at home for over a week and a half. Going to be weird, but at least I will be where I have the admin password for the guest wireless...it will be almost like being at home.

Thanks for the insight into your surgery and recovery. Been using the Kinesio tape lately. Wish I would have known about that years ago. Works better than a brace!

Back