Albatros DVa model rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any twin boom airplane can be made into a model rocket with two or three mid mounted canted motors. Pusher planes are good candidates too. It is just a matter of making them look good with room for a parachute or two and some no good nose weight. You might get some burn on a drag tail with flame fin action but don't let that stop you. For bombers twin tails are nice, as are outboard pod motors in nacelles, but only if you are so inclined to such a thing. Find an airplane you like and start a mindsim. Any shape up front can be molded with heavy epoxy clay. Be creative, have fun, use up all the old spare rocket parts you have lying around. It is not that hard, just follow the basic rules and you will be fine.

That looks amazing with paint on it! ALMOST too pretty to fly! That will me my 7th most anticipated launch of the weekend.

That looks amazing with paint on it! ALMOST too pretty to fly! That will me my 7th most anticipated launch of the weekend.

Thanks! Wow, I made rstaff's top ten list! Yippee! If I patch up the GDS rocket I wonder if there is a chance I could get two on the top ten list?

Time to get out the epoxy and BBs!

Thanks! Wow, I made rstaff's top ten list! Yippee! If I patch up the GDS rocket I wonder if there is a chance I could get two on the top ten list?

Time to get out the epoxy and BBs!

Without a doubt! The other 6 are all my flights :)

The DVa is amazing. Bavarian, maybe? Please launch that one in perfect conditions. Absolutely amazing work!

The DVa is amazing. Bavarian, maybe? Please launch that one in perfect conditions. Absolutely amazing work!

Thanks. With the big bi-fins up front this rocket will only be test flown in calm conditions. It is Bavarian, being flown by Eduard Ritter von Schleich who would later become Germany's Black Knight.

RitterSchleich.jpg

I'm assuming it didn't fly yet.

Just didn't have enough time to get the nose weight and chutes in and the Hobby store had no F15-4s. Shame because conditions this weekend were perfect. I did get off the GDSM III, the 4 motor Argent cluster pod rocket and the B 58, all really good flights.

As always I did show it to the Top Men at the club to lesson the "shock at first sight" effect. It will fly if good conditions in a couple of weeks or next month at Tripoli Colorado. Time to get some F 15 4a and Q2G2s.

Last edited:
Is that a Lancaster with 7 (?!) motors in the far right of post #13?

The DV flew yesterday at the Tripoli research launch outside of Hartsel, Colorado. For the first attempt the leads to the clip whip shorted, must have somehow moved the cable after set up. That fixed I tried the second time, 5-4-3-2-"I can't launch it!" At the very last second while counting down a vision popped into my more and more senile old mind, OMG I forgot to do something!" Everyone was a bit shocked as I took the rocket off the pad and back to the table. How could I tell the top men and women in attendance what I had just forgot? What is one of the first questions an RSO asks the Cub Scout bringing up his first rocket? I sure felt like a cub taking the DV off the pad. Back on the pad few minutes later and the video will show an almost perfect first flight. Really pleased with this one.

YOUTUBE Video here:
[video]https://youtu.be/40cby4tDq08[/video]

Preflight pictures:

D V pad 1.jpgD V pad 2.jpg

Last edited:
That's great, I really enjoy these creations of yours, I want to be like you I'd I ever grow up��

Ah, fairy dust...your secret is out. I need to have a chat with my granddaughter to see if she has any extra. Your model and flight were excellent, as always.

Here is a picture of the D V with Ole Dan. Some say he is a Jedi Master that lives out beyond the Dune Sea. Been launchin' whoosh poppers since '62. Have to get his seal of approval before launch. All electrical connections must be nice and clean.

DV pad 3.jpg

I have one for you. I had a relative that worked on a flying car circa 1935. He and his partner sold their stuff off to an aerospace company at some point afterwards. He is uncredited on any of the known models that you can find on the Interwebs. In any event, his photos appeared eerily similar to the Convaircar. So, my suggestion is a Convair 118. I think that is beyond my meager modeling skills.

I have one for you. I had a relative that worked on a flying car circa 1935. He and his partner sold their stuff off to an aerospace company at some point afterwards. He is uncredited on any of the known models that you can find on the Interwebs. In any event, his photos appeared eerily similar to the Convaircar. So, my suggestion is a Convair 118. I think that is beyond my meager modeling skills.

Adrian did the Trabant and Top Gear did a Robin Reliant. I think Micromiester did the Soviet flying tank. You can do it! Power and nose weight rule! Just need to find the right plastic model or promo car.

And who cares if it is not modeling perfection. If it flies it will just get the poo beat out of it real fast and if it crashes it will just be a burning pile of goo.

Last edited:
A PMC would be doable. An old Citroen might make a close start. I'll keep that in the back of my mind. But since your Albatros blew my mind, the idea will probably just fall out.

A PMC would be doable. An old Citroen might make a close start. I'll keep that in the back of my mind. But since your Albatros blew my mind, the idea will probably just fall out.

Just keep that little bit in the mind that prevents you from pushing the button with out having installed recovery wadding.

The thing I usually forget is an igniter...or a launch lug...or my flight card...or my rocket...

You should have a section at the museum of flight rocketry display for your creations, call it improbable rockets or something like that.....

Daddy.....awesome build! Is this Hauptmann Kitty approved?

The Hauptmann is an "Old Eagle" having been an ace in both wars. He likes to take a spin in the old canvas and wood planes once in a while to keep up on his eyeball deflection shooting. If you can use the ring and bead sight the is no need for the fancy radar guided sights in the new jets!

You should have a section at the museum of flight rocketry display for your creations, call it improbable rockets or something like that.....

Improbrobable rockets indeed! hehe, I enjoy watching the launch audiance, almost as much as the bird!

The daddyisabar "MIND SIMMMMM....

Improbrobable rockets indeed! hehe, I enjoy watching the launch audiance, almost as much as the bird!

The daddyisabar "MIND SIMMMMM....

It was unexpected when the crowd said it was the pilot bailing out on the second chute. How funny, a chute carried by a WWI fighter! Glad it was entertaining, that is what it is all about. Thanks for your mind sims as well!

Back