Albatros DVa model rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Connect a model of a man to your next biplane with a couple of thin spars...good noseweight

It was unexpected when the crowd said it was the pilot bailing out on the second chute. How funny, a chute carried by a WWI fighter! Glad it was entertaining, that is what it is all about. Thanks for your mind sims as well!

My girlfriend's great-grandfather tested some of the first pilot's parachutes as a pilot in WWI. I never met the man, but according to her the stories always included the line, "We weren't stupid! We threw them out on sandbags first!"

My girlfriend's great-grandfather tested some of the first pilot's parachutes as a pilot in WWI. I never met the man, but according to her the stories always included the line, "We weren't stupid! We threw them out on sandbags first!"

They had parachutes but getting one to be practical in the cockpit required development time they did not have. I took some real courage to fly one of those flying machines and life was short, especially during Bloody April 1917.

Albatros tail burn.jpg

Tail burn after second flight at Hartsel. It was able to be a warm up flight before the Top Men let go of the big research motors with designations sliding down the back side of the alphabet. With little, itty bitty F15s it flew as high as it could on 180g of BP propellant. Just broke a wheel and top wing on landing, easily fixed with some CA and ready to go again. As for the progressive tail burn I just CA it up and let nature take its course.

Last edited:
It would be nice to have a higher res version. Probably not related, but I have found that the forum automatically sizes photos uploaded via the manage attachments screen.

It would be nice to have a higher res version. Probably not related, but I have found that the forum automatically sizes photos uploaded via the manage attachments screen.

It is just my fancy phone photo of a hard copy photo I bought from an on site vendor. The bottom motors do not burn anything, but the other side is a different story. A zoom in on the other side actually showing what happens to the tail at lift off might be a tad too scary.:y:

I noted the photo a few posts back. Looks like it is getting shorter.

I noted the photo a few posts back. Looks like it is getting shorter.

The tail fin will eventually find it's true shape by fire after approximately three flights. I think I am about there with the Nakajima B6N and Beech Staggerwing. Big old drag tails are a model rocket design problem with the old prop driven planes. Never meant to be flown as model rockets.

I love your stuff. If you are ever willing to sell one please contact me

I love your stuff. If you are ever willing to sell one please contact me

Thanks. These are just silly scratch builds that push the limits of model rocketry, so they are not kit material. Several years ago I started off kit bashing a Spaceship One into a P 40 and then worked my crazy ideas up from there. Each time I have learned something new and have always consulted with at least a few Top Men in the clubs, bringing a model close to completion for review at a prior launch or meeting. The more input, the better. So start scratch building, it is not that hard. Join a club or put some stuff here on the forum. Nothing beats experience and gaining some street cred. Use this simple process and you can do anything, and do it with a high degree of safety. FUN FUN FUN!

What I would not do is to show up at a launch with some airplane rocket you bought at a garage sale, get rejected by the RSO and then decide to launch it at the WALMART parking lot. I had the DV on the shelf in the basement and one of the kids smacked it paying ping pong. Glued it back together and stronger than ever, with a few more battle scars.

I've never done a plan, swing test or computer simulation. Beyond my skill level. Just get out some 2.6 inch and 29mm tube, a couple nose cones, cut some balsa and load with nose weight to taste!

Yep, understood. But for those of us without sim software built into our frontal lobe it would be helpful!

Back