NAR F Giant Altitude Postal Contest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Reaction score
NAR is running a postal contest that sounds like some fun.

Basic idea of the contest is you design a single stage rocket at least 1500 mm (59") in length and at least 75mm in diameter (3" tube) for 3/4 of that length. Fly it on a NAR contest approved F motor with a recording altimeter, submit a Rocksim or Open Rocket file along with the flight recording by October 19th, and the winner gets 50 bucks.

I bet a number of you already have rockets that meet the requirements, so I thought some of you might want to give it a shot.

Official link to the contest is at: https://sites.google.com/site/chrisflaniganrocketry/Home/giant-altitude-postal-contest

I like altitude contests. :)

Steve

postal2.jpg

postal1.jpg

That's interesting, Steve. I wonder if I could improve much on Chris' design there.

Sure you could (sorry, Chris):rolleyes:. Lower the weight. Improve the boat-tail. Different fins. Plus, you never know what's going to happen with someone else's flight.

Personally, I have some very long vellum that would never hold up to F power with a standard heavy nosecone but very well might hold up to a slow burning F end burner with a cardstock nosecone. Probably only a 50/50 shot of not crimping on the way up but if it doesn't, some serious altitude. Unlike duration contests, where consistency counts, in altitude you just need one great flight. That's what makes altitude contests so fun. Design to the bleeding edge and see if your design works. Especially in a postal contest like this, what the heck. What have you got to lose?

I know...I was just being a little facetious. I'm wondering where I could fly something like that between now and the contest deadline (presuming I got it built). And I was just shopping long-burn Fs that are near full Fs.....so I'm clearly on the same page with you there.

I'm not hard-core enough to roll my own body tube out of vellum....so maybe I just need to chase second place :). The prize money would just about pay for a couple of the motors I was just looking at.

But as you say - one never knows what will happen on a given flight. You can prepare all you want and once the "go" button gets pushed all you can do is watch.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,
Have you launched it yet? If so, did you get the expected altitude?
Thanks!

Back