Hello I´m new and this is my Natter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin_

Reaction score
Hello rocketmen,

My name is Robin, im 26 years old and I live in Germany. I´m flying Rockets since I´m 14 Years old. Since over 10 years I´m a member of The Model Rocket Club Munich.
I´m not quite shure if this is the right place to post, but I wanted to show you a flight of my Bachem Natter (Noris) on a D7-3. It weathercocks a bit, I think I willl take out a couple of grams of the noseweight. The Natter is fascinating me since years and I think It´s a must have model:)
I did some improvements on the model, for example- balsa fins and boosters to get it lighter and more stable.
Here you go:
[video=youtube;OJPWoZLwMM0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJPWoZLwMM0[/video]

Best regards,

Robin

Great looking rocket, Robin! Rockets with big wings like that look great, but I find them a challenge to fly. I flew a Wasserfall only once after it did a 90 degree turn at burnout and flew parallel to the ground. Maybe I should convert it for R/C like the real article. Anyway, welcome to the forum!

Welcome Robin! What a great first post! :clap:

I loved winged rockets, but boy they are a finicky lot! Recently I thought of eventually scratch building a Natter rocket since I visited a museum which had one (unfortunately not on display) and my ebay rocket search showed a plastic Natter model (mis-categorized in my opinion, but cool that it came up). Is yours R/C or free flight?

It looked great launching up!

Thanks alot guys. Yep theese rockets are quite nasty to fly. It was quite Hard to get It to fly nicely. I also changed the form of the lower fin to the same one as on top. Thats the form they had on the Mustermaschine M23 (testmodel 23, first manned flight).
Yep its only a freeflying model, no RC.
I Hope you understand my english writing;)
Best regards
Robin

Last edited:
Welcome, Robin. It is good to see you here! We love videos and photos, so you are starting things the right way. The D7 is a really nice motor.

Thank you again to all from the Munich club who made me feel so welcome at your recent launch.

Cheers,
Michael

Very cool! There is some great information on the Noris Natter hear on the forum. Good thing you lightened it up for the D7. My stock version has all it can do to fly on a D12. Airplane rockets rule! They are not that hard to fly if you are crazy enough to build them. Someday I would like to try some of those D7's. Welcome to the forum.

Hello rocketmen,

My name is Robin, im 26 years old and I live in Germany. I´m flying Rockets since I´m 14 Years old. Since over 10 years I´m a member of The Model Rocket Club Munich.
I´m not quite shure if this is the right place to post, but I wanted to show you a flight of my Bachem Natter (Noris) on a D7-3. It weathercocks a bit, I think I willl take out a couple of grams of the noseweight. The Natter is fascinating me since years and I think It´s a must have model:)
Hello, Robin:

I would advise against removing nose weight. Weathercocking is not much of a problem; instability caused by removing nose weight may be a more serious problem. One thing you can try is to angle the launcher to point slightly with the wind. The rocket can then weathercock and turn towards vertical. Do not angle the launcher into the wind, this will only make the weathercock worse!

There is also a German rocketry forum:
https://www.raketenmodellbau.org/forum
This thread may interest you:
https://www.raketenmodellbau.org/forum?action=viewthread&threadid=4299

Great looking rocket, Robin! Rockets with big wings like that look great, but I find them a challenge to fly. I flew a Wasserfall only once after it did a 90 degree turn at burnout and flew parallel to the ground.
I scratch-built an A9 which did something similar. The solution was to add more nose weight. The problem was that the model was marginally stable so it tipped over, became more stable because all the propellant was now gone so the tail was lighter, and went straight on its low level trajectory. The added nose weight made the model properly stable and it has since flown perfectly in all sorts of conditions.

Ok thats sounds plausible. I already knew that forum, but thanks anyway;)
So should I just leave the noseweight in place?
It was just a thougt of mine to play with the weight a bit, to get It to fly perfect. But maybe the risk is to big - never touch a running System;)
Sadly the D7 is not produced anymore. But I have still got some spare ones. When they're gone I will use the Klima D9 engines.

Ok thats sounds plausible. I already knew that forum, but thanks anyway;)
So should I just leave the noseweight in place?
I certainly would. Mind you, several of my rockets are rather heavy as they either have wings or large fins in the middle, being scale models of missiles, so weathercocking is normal for my models!

Sadly the D7 is not produced anymore. But I have still got some spare ones. When they're gone I will use the Klima D9 engines.
Yes, the D7 was a product of Sachsen Feuerwerk. It had an odd diameter, 25mm. One year when I went to RJD, anyone who registered to fly got a few of them for free (Sachsen Feuerwerk sponsored the event that year) so I had to build something with a 25mm mount. That rocket now flies on either an Estes D12 (with lots of masking tape wrapped round so that it fits reasonably into the oversized mount) or on a C6 (with an adaptor). You'll need to build an adaptor, too, because the Klima D9 is 18mm diameter. It ought to give the Natter more thrust than the D7 which will help against weathercocking.

Thanks guys for giving me tips and tricks. Im doing rockets for lots of years now, but I never stop learning;)
I've already got an Adapter but I dont know if its to light with the D9 compared to the D7. Maybe I'll just do the old trick- Stick the D9 in a burnt out D7 casing (nozzle of the D7 casing removed). Thats what we used to do when we had no adapter on the field.
@woodie's workshop - I dont think its to slow, I filmed it in Slowmo. But maybe I'll try a longer rod and see what happens.
Regards
Rob

Thaks rstaff3.
I´ve seen that thread. Very nice Natter indeed. She builds wonderful models.

Thanks alot guys. Yep theese rockets are quite nasty to fly. It was quite Hard to get It to fly nicely. I also changed the form of the lower fin to the same one as on top. Thats the form they had on the Mustermaschine M23 (testmodel 23, first manned flight).
Yep its only a freeflying model, no RC.
I Hope you understand my english writing;)
Best regards
Robin

English is a strange language. It is very difficult to do it perfectly, but you can do it very poorly (like many Americans) and people will understand you. Your English is very good and much better than my Deutsch! I would say it has been 40 years since I studied Deutsch, but I can't remember how to say that! Ich studiert Deutsch vierzig jahren "ago" (I can't remember the word or phrase for ago, or in the past...). And I grew up in a town in Minnesota that had a statue of Herman the German!!!

You´re neally right,
In german you would say: "Ich habe vor vierzig Jahren Deutsch studiert" or you could say:
"Es ist vierzig Jahre her das ich Deutsch studiert habe".

Back