Ros-A-Roc reviews please....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk G

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm not certain if this fits here, as the Ros-A-Roc might be considered low power, or maybe an Odd Rocket, but I'm interested in hearing any comments that you've got on this kit, please.
I'm pretty sure it's a Skill Level Three kit, and I think that's in line with my mechanical/wood working skills and tools. So I am considering investing in one. What'da think?

The Flis-kits Rose-A-Roc is a fantastic kit, and a nice building challenge. Definitely skill level 3, perhaps on par with some of the old Estes skill level 4 kits. It does require a monokote iron (I borrowed one at the time, but since have purchased one). If you've never used monokote, this is pretty simple introduction, just make sure to remove the clear backing first! No finishing required, at least not if you want the best performance.

What is monokote? Or how about
a monokote iron? This is a term I have never heard before.

First Kirk:
Helicopter Duration competition models are anything but Odd-Rocs. They are one of the most challenging to build Model Rocket types out there.

Master Competition Flyer Art Rose designed the Rose-a-Roc HD model. It's been around and flying in serious NAR and International competitions since the mid-60's.
Fliskit as done a outstanding job re-creating this model with a few small alterations from the original design making it a good bit easier for those who don't build Competition Helicopter recovery models.
Right out of the box, if constructed with reasonable care will out perform just about any other HD model (Kit or Scratch built). Adding few other "alterations" to make the model a free spinning hub, make it is almost unbeatable.
The Kit is a great rendition of a Classic Competition Model with absolute contest winning character. Highly recommended 2nd HD kit.

If you've never built a Helicopter recovery model before I'd strongly suggest trying a standard Rota-roc first as they are just a bit easier while still requiring construction of 3 airfoiled rotors along with symmetric teardrop fins (for max performance) and practice in the art of attaching rotors to hinges and hinges to body tube without seizing the hinge pin LOL!!!.

Monokote is a very thin vinyl/plastic covering used on Stick & Tissue aircraft replacing the traditional "tissue" body & Wing covering. a Monokote Iron is a hand held heating iron used to seal and shrink the monokote tightly around the aircraft parts.
There is also Trim Monokote in various colors that is also a thin Vinyl plastic with an adhesive back that I personally use in lots of Model Rocket applications. Particularly the extremely thin Chrome Trim Monokote used on Gliders over a center section of the wing below the motor to help reduce buring. It is also used on the a section of the inside of each rotor on most HD models where the burn-string holes hit the Rotor to reduce balsa burning.

Helicopters-a_8thA thur F motor class_09-05.jpg

MM 215b1a-sm_Free Hub HD-Natl Record_05-08-05.jpg

Last edited:
only flew my Rose-A-Roc once. It thermaled several times and got away from me, farthest I've ever walked for something launched with a B motor. Fortunately one of the HP rockets later in the day landed right next to it so I got it back. Really fun to build. I'd like to fly it again someday but I'm not sure I know of anywhere big enough even if I flew it on an A.

I argued with Art Rose about kitting the Rose-A-Roc back in the Pearl River days of the 1980's and he was firm that it was way too complex to make an effective kit. When I started FlisKits I put the RaR back on my list of designs to kit but I had to work out some engineering issues first.

Once I came up with the 3-layer, laser cut hub idea I knew I had a solution. I sent a set, with prelim instructions, to Art and he was suitably impressed and gave me permission to produce the Rose-A-Roc for the sum of $0.01, paid in full.

It's been a good addition to our line, a great performer and one of the few kits out there that can make beginners to the world of HD events competitive!

Back