Model Rocket Building Techniques on the NAR Website

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job collecting and restoring this stuff! Now we just need to do the same for the HPR articles that used to be on INFO-central.

Personally, I think a wiki is a better way to do this than a web site, because people can then add new content when the mood strikes them. Anyone want to host a rocketry how-to wiki site?

John

Nice job collecting and restoring this stuff! Now we just need to do the same for the HPR articles that used to be on INFO-central.

Personally, I think a wiki is a better way to do this than a web site, because people can then add new content when the mood strikes them. Anyone want to host a rocketry how-to wiki site?

John

Yes, nice job on recovering this stuff!

I forwarded [email protected] a copy of this idea to see if NAR is interested.

Unfortunately, wikis mostly tend to drain stuff from other sites. Someone gets excited about the wiki and copies stuff from existing sites to the wiki before losing interest. The wiki then gets a portion of the search-engine traffic that the original sites used to get, discouraging those who were maintaining the original sites. The result is that instead of getting treated to original, unique, constantly-updated ideas, we end up with a wiki full of a bland mish-mash of stuff. A wiki is fine for an encyclopedia where articles are secondary in nature and references can be cited. But, it's not good for original works like Chris's tutorial or his blog.

I prefer that people create their own blogs and support existing sites which offer a way for us to share our creativity rather than water it down through a wiki.

-- Roger

Back