Where Can I Find Some HTPB Curative?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude95

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Florin and I am part of a rocketry group at the University of Illinois. We are currently building a hybrid motor, and are having trouble finding curative for the HTPB. Every website we checked including Aerocon, RCS, etc. seems to be out of stock of all curative.

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong place. All help is greatly appreciated.

Hello,

My name is Florin and I am part of a rocketry group at the University of Illinois. We are currently building a hybrid motor, and are having trouble finding curative for the HTPB. Every website we checked including Aerocon, RCS, etc. seems to be out of stock of all curative.

Send me an email [email protected]

Hi Florin,

Just curious.. Where do you fly?

--MCS

We fly out of Champaign in Illinois, and even in some parts of Indiana. This year we're driving out to California to launch out of sites there due to altitude requirements

Hello,

They still do solid propellant testing at U of I? They used to have a webpage and I believe they used a strand burner. Kurt

Not as far as I know. All the research now is based on aerodynamics or electric prop. My team is pretty much leading the largest propulsion group here building the largest and most advanced motors the school's ever had.

What school do you attend?

JD

Not as far as I know. All the research now is based on aerodynamics or electric prop. My team is pretty much leading the largest propulsion group here building the largest and most advanced motors the school's ever had.

Cool web site. Why hybrid motors? you give up a lot of ISP and bigger motors have to lug around very heavy tanks. They are also much more complex then APCP. More complexity increases risk of failure in a dramativ fashion. They are also dramatically more expensive to manufacture
15000 newtons is a easily hit mark with a 4 inch APCP motor.
I've done a 60000 newton static burn on a 6 inch motor (max pressure 940 pounds), still doable with my small research group, n=1 but there was some pain at the hardware price...

The reason we're working on hybrids is to fully give new members,even freshmen experience with motor design, compressible flow, material selection, etc. the entire engineering process. For us we want to be able to customize our motors for every launch of our custom rockets. We also have on board motor controllers to allow for throttling, safety stop, etc. that solids don't allow for.

As for cost, we've experienced that machining out our motors and the entire assembly was in fact much cheaper than buying solid motors, along with the re-usability of the engine for multiple tests/launches. The complexity of the engine design is what makes it so fun to work with.

For this year we're going to use Inconel 718, the same material that SpaceX's Super Draco's are made out of, 3D printed. We're looking at putting out over 80,000Ns of impulse and from what I could find it'd be the most powerful 3D printed hybrid in the world.

Yea I haven't seen that before. I know I talked to all the professors last year about propulsion research, which I am interested in, and not a single one was doing anything close to that.

Hi Florin

Was your team at FAR earlier this year??

A team from Illinois tested a large hybrid at FAR but I have been unable to figure-out who it was.

--MCS

I believe Mark Joseph (here on TRF) is the advisor to most of the rocket teams/activities at U of I.

Have you started to machine the inconel? In my past profession I got to write procedures for both machining and welding it. Both are a bit challenging. Totally doable, but used to make the machinists and welders whine a bit....

The reason we're working on hybrids is to fully give new members,even freshmen experience with motor design, compressible flow, material selection, etc. the entire engineering process. For us we want to be able to customize our motors for every launch of our custom rockets. We also have on board motor controllers to allow for throttling, safety stop, etc. that solids don't allow for.

As for cost, we've experienced that machining out our motors and the entire assembly was in fact much cheaper than buying solid motors, along with the re-usability of the engine for multiple tests/launches. The complexity of the engine design is what makes it so fun to work with.

For this year we're going to use Inconel 718, the same material that SpaceX's Super Draco's are made out of, 3D printed. We're looking at putting out over 80,000Ns of impulse and from what I could find it'd be the most powerful 3D printed hybrid in the world.

Very nice.

Curiousity. Why are you using gaseous N20? How do you maintain 2000psi tank pressure? Heat?

I'm thinking it would be more likely to end as a very rapidly expanding gaseous fireball from a 2000psi attempt if done with N2O. N2O is a monopropellant, potentially quite explosive, and should be handled with care and consideration of its unique features. Commercial hybrid motors avoid the worst of the issues. But if one deviates to try to achieve higher performance, there is much more to consider.

Gerald

Back