Do i believe Aerotech or Rocksim

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highflyer1968

Reaction score
I'm just wondering about the G-Force rocket from AeroTech. There website says a g77-4r will take it to about 700 feet but Rocksim says that at apogee it will be going 68.37 feet per second and a 6 second delay is good. Also AeroTech site says g80-7 will take it to about 880 feet but Rocksim says 1213 feet. Which one do I go by. All these numbers are giving me a headache.

HighFlyer1968

Rocksim tends to be a bit optimistic because the default surface finish defaults to 'polished', which a bit slicker than the average rocket finish. I would try setting the surface finish to 'matt" or 'unfinished' and rerun the sims. You should only use polished if you can use the rocket as a shaving mirror.

Both are guesses unless you've weighed your build. Aerotech's numbers are a general guide.... rocksim will let you put in many details to help dial it in.

Don't overthink it. a 4 or 7 is going to work on that rocket.... Use whatever is handy. Delays are never exact, and you don't need the rocket motionless at apogee for a good deployment.

Rocksim tends to be a bit optimistic because the default surface finish defaults to 'polished', which a bit slicker than the average rocket finish. I would try setting the surface finish to 'matt" or 'unfinished' and rerun the sims. You should only use polished if you can use the rocket as a shaving mirror.
Is that even physically possible?

I'm sitting here laughing picturing some old rocketeer walking around the house asking his wife... "HONEY!! HAVE YOU SEEN THE ROCKET? I need to shave...."

For the original question though.... Look through rocketreviews.com. That site has a bunch of reports of times that people have flown kits. You can see what other people have flown it on.

Last edited:

I'm sitting here laughing picturing some old rocketeer walking around the house asking his wife... "HONEY!! HAVE YOU SEEN THE ROCKET? I need to shave...."

There were some threads a few years ago where someone showed how to get a mirror finish. It was a lot of work, far more than I am willing to do. I remember he posted a photo with a quarter on the table next to the rocket and you could clearly see the quarter's reflection on the rocket's fin. I mean you could read the letters and numbers in the reflection!

QUOTE]
I like to use an Alpha- makes me look younger and skinnier. For thiose pesky nose hairs I use a magnifying Minnie- Magg. Go with a gloss black and you don't have to dye your hair either!

There were some threads a few years ago where someone showed how to get a mirror finish. It was a lot of work, far more than I am willing to do. I remember he posted a photo with a quarter on the table next to the rocket and you could clearly see the quarter's reflection on the rocket's fin. I mean you could read the letters and numbers in the reflection!
Ahhh yes. Nathan.

This guy.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...-The-Magg-(or-How-I-Spent-My-Summer-Vacation)

mmpp38.jpg

...You should only use polished if you can use the rocket as a shaving mirror.

I got your shaving mirror right here. Unfortunately after more than two years I finally lost this Estes Partizon last month when it drifted into the woods.

finsafteycode.jpg

WOW!

We had a member of our club (UROC) give a talk last month about finishing rockets. For that mirror like finish, he described how he starts with 400 grit sandpaper (after lots of other steps including filler, wet sanding, sacrificing a chicken, and painting), and starts wet-sanding the paint, finishing with 1600+. And maybe polishing compound.

I can safely say that, ignoring all of the steps that go into prepping the rocket for paint, and the steps for painting, I just don't have the patience to put that kind of finish on my rockets. I tip my hat to those that do, and stand in awe of your skill.

My late great G-force had altimeter readings of ~750ft on a G80, 1300ft on H128, and a tracked flight at NARAM on a 50N-S F to 450' or so. It had a pretty good finish and weighed only a little more than stock.

On the off-topic sub discussion here, for mirror finish I go 600-1200-2000 wet sanding followed by the chicken sacrifice and a very fine polishing compound.

Last edited:
Back