Best Eggfinder TX Antenna?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wighty44

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
While I'm working on the mounting framework for the Eggtimer, I would like some user input on the comparative signal performance between the stock antenna wire vs. a "rubber duckie" antenna with a 2dbi gain.

Is the default wire ant. sufficient or would I gain any advantage using a "rubber duckie" antenna?

Thanks...

I thought about this for a while and decided that it would be easier to upgrade the antenna on the RX side. That way you keep your TX as small a footprint as possible and you can go a wild as you like with the RX antenna since there's no space issue.

It does depend on what range you're planning to use it. Using the default antennas on both TX and RX I tracked a rocket with no issues to 6K ft and half a mile downrange. The website says 10K ft with the default equipment.

I'm going to put one up to 13K+ ft soon but I'll have a patch antenna on the RX for that.

If your AV bay is held together with allthread, an external antenna is the way to go. More than that I couldn't tell you.

I use the stubby antenna on most of my TX units. TRF member "Matthew" has flown the stock antenna to over 20k ft. Successfully.
It is a generally accepted theory that putting the rubber duckie antenna on the receiver is better.

Yes. The NC is made by Proline Composites (4" dia x 20") - FG interior with some type of exterior plastic coating. A 4" centering ring with a 38mm hole will be epoxied inside the NC. The CR has four 8-32 weld nuts evenly spaced in the area between the hole & the CR circumference.

The TX framework shown in the photo slides into that 38mm hole and is bolted to the CR with 8-32 SS machine screws.

It is a generally accepted theory that putting the rubber duckie antenna on the receiver is better.
I actually have 2 of these antennas so I guess it wouldn't be an issue if I used one on the TX and the other on the RX. With an RP-SMA connector on the RX I could always change the antenna if I find I need more gain or directionality. Correct?

Back