Cutting a fiberglass Av sled.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I have to cut my FG sled from 3" x 7" to 2.4" x 5.75". Any suggestions for how to do this? No table saw, chop saw, or band saw. Here's what I have:

hand saw
coping saw
miter saw
power saw
hobby saw
matte knife
tin snips

Any suggestions?

Lay blue tape down and cut with any of your stated tools sans knives and snips. Leave 1-2mm border and block sand for perfect alignment/clean edges. It's just fiberglass. Come on now, L2!

I have to cut my FG sled from 3" x 7" to 2.4" x 5.75". Any suggestions for how to do this? No table saw, chop saw, or band saw. Here's what I have:

hand saw
coping saw
miter saw
power saw
hobby saw
matte knife
tin snips

Any suggestions?

No router? With the correct bit, a router would work quite well.

Lay blue tape down and cut with any of your stated tools sans knives and snips. Leave 1-2mm border and block sand for perfect alignment/clean edges. It's just fiberglass. Come on now, L2!

What does L2 have to do with knowing how to cut FG? :confused: I am more concerned about how to hold it and cut it with the tools I have. I suppose the miter saw would work, since I can butt it against the forward wall. I can't really see using the coping saw or the power saw.

Stick that sucker in a vise sandwiched between two pieces of wood. Tape off your lines and use, get this, a Hack Saw. No joke! You would be AMAZED at how accurately cuts can be made with a hack and a sharp blade. Remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Take your time and let us know how it goes!

I would suggest hack saw as well, using a guide 2x4 will do wonders also

Edit: of course a reason for a new tool is always good :) get a band saw, the cheap small ones will still do wonders, one of my most versatile tools

Last edited:
I like the $8 harbor freight rotary tool and the diamond cut off wheels for $5

Kenny

I assume you don't have Dremel. I've done a Dremel with a cutoff wheel with pretty good results, but normally use a chop saw. FG will dull regular blades.

Stick that sucker in a vise sandwiched between two pieces of wood. Tape off your lines and use, get this, a Hack Saw. No joke! You would be AMAZED at how accurately cuts can be made with a hack and a sharp blade. Remember, slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Take your time and let us know how it goes!

+1 You don't even need tape; just a pencil line on green G10 or silver sharpie line on black is fine. It is amazing how straight a hack saw will track if you take your time and watch carefully to follow the line. Finish with a sheet course grit 60-120 sand paper laid on a flat surface.

hand saw
coping saw
miter saw
power saw
hobby saw
matte knife
tin snips

Any suggestions?
Does it matter how thick? I may have some or could make you one and send it along. I use a diamond wet saw for tile to capture the dust and cut it true. Pm me with your details. it's a pay it forward kind of thing.

I suppose the miter saw would work, since I can butt it against the forward wall.
Yeah a diamond tooth blade will work, just be careful to collect the dust at the source so you don't breathe it. If you think you'll be cutting fiberglass regularly, a cheap tile saw might be a worthwhile investment as it can cut sheet and even tubes with a jig.

I have cut G10 with a grinder with a cutoff blade. It makes a lot of dust and a heckuva smell, but it does the job. A lot cheaper than a tile saw. You can get diamond blades for a grinder too. From what you listed though, probably go with the coping saw. A little water would help keep dust down and maybe help preserve your blade a bit. You can probably score it and snap it, don't know about that though.

Mike

Not having a vice is going to make this tough. So far I'm thinking that if I tape it up well and clamp it down to my miter saw, maybe I can do it that way. Thanks for all the input.

Not having a vice is going to make this tough. So far I'm thinking that if I tape it up well and clamp it down to my miter saw, maybe I can do it that way. Thanks for all the input.

A good hack saw can be had inexpensively. So can steel C clamps, which, the longer you stare at them, you find are useful for many other things. Clamp that sucker to the edge of a counter and hack away! No, I do not own stock in hack saws, I just love them! I cut carbon fiber, wood, plastic, metal, I don't care. Hack saw.

Latest posts

Back