Need a place to fly in Houston

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacjack93

Reaction score
Anyone in Houston area know a good place to fly, my kids keep begging me to go but it's an urban jungle around here. Mostly small C motor rockets 1 D and 1 G. Thank you for any advise.

NASA Houston holds regular launches, at least they used to, I moved away... There are several other clubs in South Texas.

Mike

By all means, go to the NASA Houston Rocket Club launch at the Johnson Space Center if you can. They are flying tomorrow. Please be aware that you do have to get on the list to enter the property. The information is on the website: https://www.nasahoustonrocketclub.org/

The Applewhite site that rtaff3 posted is the place to find all the info on club launches throughout Texas. Unfortunately is is getting more difficult to just go out and fly at the local soccer fields but you might check with the local parks and rec or your kids school to see if any areas are available.

NASA Houston Rocket Club flies on 1st/3rd Saturdays of the month at Johnson Space Center. 1st Sat is High Power (H,I only, max alt 2500'), 3rd Sat is low power only (G and below). You need to be on the gate list to get access to JSC, we fly behind Building 14. More info on how to get on the list at https://www.nasahoustonrocketclub.org/. There is also a yahoo group, [NHRC-General]. It's a good group of people out there.

David

Addendum: You need to request addition to the gate list by Wednesday as Warren submits it Thursday morning of a launch week. Tomorrow's launch may not happen anyway - too few people planning to come out with the holiday weekend.

David

I have noticed it's getting harder to find a field, was recently ran off from the local school. I will check out the nasa club. Thank you all

I feel your pain. Here in our county in Maryland, modrocs are theoretically allowed....unfortunately the people who run the parks never approve them. Not to mention all the parks that were fairly nice 30 years ago now are full of large trees. I had a great farm about 2 miles away but that is now housing. Other than occasional water rocket, I exclusively fly with clubs.

Yes it seems all the good fields when I was a kid are now shopping centers. I've never joined a club so not sure how it all works. But I should probably get out more anyway.

The downside of a club is you have to follow their schedule...the main UP side is you get to hang out with like minded people, see lots of cool rockets, get ideas, etc. Joining should be easy and the cost is probably minimal if you want to fly even occasionally.

Back