MMMSC/CMASS Joint Luanch 12 September 2015

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennB

I-95 Envoy
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On the 12th of September, the Maine Missile Math and Science Club will hold a joint launch with the Central Massachusetts Spacemodeling Society on the MMMSC home field at the Tuckahoe Turf Farm in Berwick, ME.

This is your chance to fly high into (I hope) a blue sky.

Let us know who's planning on coming and what you'll be flying.

Robert & Gloria will be there with their ample AMW/ProX trailer restocked with all the goodies you need and those you didn't know you wanted. Gloria will break out the grill for hot dogs and hamburgers; who knows, maybe she'll even have time to prepare something special.

Jim Flis will be there, too, as part of the month-long Fliskits 13th Anniversary celebration. Come out and get a S.P.A.D. Commemorative Anniversary kit so you can build it in time for the official Fliskits Anniversary launch with CMASS in Amesbury on 26 September.

Remember, access to the field from the south end of Hubbard Road is blocked; approaching from the north end of Hubbard will be your best bet. If you don't mind unimproved roads, you can use Ridlon Road and, if the gate is open, enter from the east side of the field or get to the north end of Hubbard.

Last edited:
The RFS-Rocketry Team will be in attendance,.. We plan on bringing the infamous "Ice King" for a flight to 2683' on a CTI J316 Pink motor,... Our Warlock will fly to 1000' on a CTI I212 SS,.. The Purple Nurple may fly on a F79 Smoky Sam, details to be worked out. Our second flight of our "Crazy Eights" cluster rocket is planned with new "improved" recovery techniques,... We also have a Quad Runner and a Tres clone each clustered on C6-3's. Our other flights will include our favorites that we seem to fly each launch. We may even debut our "Pink Link",.. if it is ready in time. This is a Deuces Wild clone. Her maiden flight will be on B6-4's. We are hoping for decent weather and wind.

The weather is looking dodgy from my end, but if all goes well I will make my level 3 attempt with a Madcow 5.5" AGM Pike on a M1230.

Let's all hope for an improved forecast! :cool:

The forecast is looking better.

We're going to have group of 5 to 7 student flyers from Univ. of Maine - Orono trying for their Level 1 certifications. I'd like to have someone with experience help shepherd them along with their assemblies and paperwork. They'll be buying parachutes and motors from AMX/ProX on the field that day.

There may also be a group from Northeastern coming back. They ran out of time at a previous launch to try for their certification flights.

Also, Jim Moe is thinking of bringing his equipment for stargazing later in the day. If the weather cooperates, he’ll be back at the field at 8:30 PM and invites anyone who would like to join him to chat with him about it during the launch.

Last edited:
The CMASS trailer is hooked up to the truck, the MMMSC PA system has a new power hookup and is now capable of powering 8 loudspeakers at once. I hope to be on the field at 9 AM ready for set up. Weather looks good for a nice day of flying. Hope to see a lot of you there!

NEWS FLASH!!!
The major construction on Hubbard Road has been completed so access to the field from the south is available.
You are free to use whatever approach works best for your route to the field.

"That was a super fun day Dad,.." "Yes it was,..." We had great weather and wind. Our flights were all recovered and there were many highlights. Our thanks go out to both clubs and vendors. I felt honored to sign off on a L1 cert and take a photo for a college group. We even landed one in the CMASS Circle, earning my "Assistant in Charge of Low Power" $1. Thanks again.

Perfect day for flying. Team Laudato had a few low power flights that went well.

One no-damage mishap where I forgot to arm an altimeter on the Gallifrey - hot wire cable cutter didn't cut of course. Got another F51 Classic and flew it right the second time - very happy with the hot wire cutter configuration at this point, very reliable.

Put an H125 Classic in my Madcow Aerobee-Hi and had a perfect up-pop top-down flight. That rocket was built using Loctite 5 minute epoxy, with the exception of JB Weld for the retainer, so that argument is settled as far as I'm concerned!

Couple of rockets earned their paint jobs which I'll start on today.

Relieved Guy a few times as RSO, witnessed a few L1 attempts of various success. All around great day on the field.

Last edited:
Back