Which type of nosecone do you desire?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HyperSpeed

Reaction score
All black or white ABS will be standard. Semi-hollow with consistent wall thickness. Aluminum tip 25-35mm long. Nosecone = 29mm diameter.

If you had these following options, what would it be?

4.5:1? 5:1? 5.5:1? 6:1? (Exposed Length)

Conical, Ogive, or Von K profile?

Bay, or no-bay? (tapered sled with slot in it for battery use)

Closed eye-bolt, or U-bolt?

The effort for a bay design will be more, as it needs either a turned aluminum or a solid dark-gray PVC bulkhead closure, that is countersunk drilled around the outside of the face for screws into the NC shoulder. Price would have to reflect that extra material/labor. Please consider this.

EDIT:

The results are in. Empirical data shows the Von Karman simply blowing the other shapes away in aerodynamics, at areas especially near M=1.25 & M=1.8+. All around less drag everywhere it appears, and the best nose to get near or past mach 2. It looks like that option, will be a given:

mLhS6zp.png

Last edited:
2.6" VK for thin wall fg

Kenny

Last edited:
Upscales of all the classic nosecones from Estes and Centuri designs I loved as a kid. Blowmolded or injection molded preferred.

This is nosecone related. What I really desire is an aluminum bulkhead that would fit 54 mm CTI nose cone, or other standard 54 mm nosecone. The bulkhead needs to extend far enough into the nosecone coupler that it can be tapped for screws. The Wildman bulkheads don't extend far enough into the coupler to tap. I second wish is that the bulkhead is relatively thin and the part that extends inside the nosecone coupler should be pretty hollow to save on nosecone space. Badd Azz had these but they are OOP. I have seen some custom ones on the forum. I would like this to seal off tracking electronics in the nosecone. Any help here would be appreciated.

This is nosecone related. What I really desire is an aluminum bulkhead that would fit 54 mm CTI nose cone, or other standard 54 mm nosecone. The bulkhead needs to extend far enough into the nosecone coupler that it can be tapped for screws. The Wildman bulkheads don't extend far enough into the coupler to tap. I second wish is that the bulkhead is relatively thin and the part that extends inside the nosecone coupler should be pretty hollow to save on nosecone space. Badd Azz had these but they are OOP. I have seen some custom ones on the forum. I would like this to seal off tracking electronics in the nosecone. Any help here would be appreciated.

https://ape-rc.com/#!/Head-End-Alti...Molded-Nose-Cone/p/46531659/category=11909535

I'd like a 4" MDRM nose cone. ABS, filament wound fiberglass, don't care how.

WOA!

This was NOT meant to be the thread or actual "Poll". Whoops!

I saw my email said 14 replies to this title and I about panicked. :eek:

The (A.) line in post #1 was simply a test line I wrote, because I could not figure out why no poll was being generated when I checked "Poll" with X amount of choices. I am used to either a poll being an immediate option to start the thread with, or a format that appears immediately once the option for "poll" would be checked. In this case, I entered a blank text, checked "Poll", after realizing there was nothing else I could do when I clicked "preview" and it said "you must enter a thread title first", I had a feeling I needed to click submit, then the second half would appear, which it indeed did.

The funny thing about all this, is that I never actually confirmed the poll. I didn't even think I confirmed the thread. I hit back on the browser to get to where I could enter the initial text you all see in post #1, to change it and explain the poll. I had to leave, so I left the thread untouched, with my PC out of the user account. Apparently, finishing the poll doesn't submit the thread, just getting to the poll activates a thread, which I assume is populated with poll data after that second part is submitted. Because I definitely did not submit the poll. Unless it was the pure action of hitting the Back button once in the poll data section.

The options for this after I explained what I was doing, were actually only going to be 38mm and 54mm cones, in either conical, or ogive shape, all with turned aluminum tips. While I'm going to read what was written, I believe this thread needs a re-do, with the correct options I was going to offer. The NCs would be 2 piece designs as far as the plastic is concerned (not counting the AL tip). Exposed section, then a butted shoulder with countersunk stainless screws, holding the shoulder into the exposed portion. The design is semi-hollow. Cross-supports will exist inside the noses in all inaccessible hollow areas. The screw-attached shoulder cylinders were either going to be only that, with welded eye-bolts, or bay shoulders, for electronic sleds/components. Wall thickness for 38mm and 54mm was going to be 2mm, and 2.5mm, respectively. 38mm roughly 5:1, 54mm roughly 4.3:1, for exposed lengths. The turned tips will allow a conical nose to stay conical, and an ogive nose to have a slight Von Karmen profile, though not a fully exaggerated Von Karmen. I have to hand build these, so machine time will be a factor as to how many I can offer at once. These will not be mass production vacuum noses.

Yeah, though I'm not exactly sure how to turn this back into a poll, or how it posted, I believe it needs a re-do. Until then, keep in mind what I have said about sizes, 38mm and 54mm. I could do a 29mm offering if there was enough interest. I feel right now, the lathe time and metal stock I have will prove too limited to make an honest commitment to 75/98mm at this time.

Would you want a small beacon/electronics sled in what little room is actually available in 29mm? I suppose it's a good place for a beacon using a long VK profile, if you feel you would use one.

Would you want an aluminum aft flat cover plate with countersunk screws to hold the plate against the NC shoulder aft-end, with the eye-bolt or U-bolt threaded into that same base plate? (with nut on other side to secure.) Or, this plate could be a little bit thicker, and made of turned solid PVC (dark gray). This would save time on building, and at only <29mm, would still be an incredibly strong plate.

Using 3-4 screws at the outer diameter of the aft base plate would work to hold the shell.

Last edited:
To those just reading this thread, here's what has gone on here (since I've done a bit of editing after initial posting):

-The thread was meant to be a poll. Whatever happened, I'm not certain, but the thread was accidentally posted without being finished.

-When I realized the thread was posted, I couldn't exactly edit it into a poll. Enough was written by me though to lead users reading into suggesting that they post any nosecone type they desire.

-The idea became clear that 29mm needs the most help getting noses, as far as what exists being very little in that size--there are many good 38mm+ diameter noses out there already.

-Post #1 was edited completely to implicate a 29mm nosecone will be the design that I focus on (to begin with anyways), along with options I have planned, that I did not originally have listed at thread posting. I also posted the graph showing the drag efficiency between common NC designs/shapes and added more questions about what you seek.

I hope this clears up confusion between post #1 as it is shown now, and some of the following posts after it.

Looking for more input at this point. Once we agree on a design for 29mm, I will go to work and get some out there in limited numbers. I am most interested in what type of bay/containment capsule you would desire in a 29mm, or if you just simply want a 29mm. After seeing the graph, I do have bias for Von Karman myself, but I would be open to producing other profiles should they become desired.

If you have an Estes NC style in mind you would like to see in 29mm ABS, please post a reference photo or scale drawing to the design so others can see and comment on it if they choose. If it proves tasteful among readers, I will possibly make a group of them in that style.

Thanks for your input!

Back