Naked & Mach 2+

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropellantHead

Reaction score
General question for those of you who've flown a lot of Mach 2 or better flights: Would the finish on a rocket (or lack thereof) significantly increase the odds of a stability issue or shred? I ask because, as a rule, I always make my rockets "earn" their paint. But I've never flown any naked rocket to Mach 2+ before and I'll be trying to do just that in a few days. The fillets aren't perfectly rounded yet and there's a smatter of epoxy smear on the body tube in a couple of small areas. Aerodynamically speaking, I'm guessing the conformal rail guides will cause more of a disruption in airflow and, as such, this won't be a problem. But, then again, I figure it costs me nothing to be paranoid up front and ask the question of people who may have experience with rough-hewn rockets at Mach 2.

Never flown that fast (yet), but a rough surface equals more drag. No paint after flying, not a problem. All you have to do is sand it smooth. You want no bumps, lumps, or irregularities. These are your enemy to achieving top speed and altitude.

Hope this helps.

Is this for your Mariah 54 or another rocket?

Never flown that fast (yet), but a rough surface equals more drag. No paint after flying, not a problem. All you have to do is sand it smooth. You want no bumps, lumps, or irregularities. These are your enemy to achieving top speed and altitude.

Hope this helps.

Is this for your Mariah 54 or another rocket?

Yes, for the Mariah. I know the irregularities and the spiral and all that will contribute to drag but I'm not trying to eek out the max speed & altitude on this inaugural flight. I just want to get it back in one piece and, if flying it like this would, let's say, double the chances of it shredding, then I just wouldn't fly it...at least not on the K375 or K1440 I have for it. I'll drop back to a nice J360 or so and keep the K motors in reserve until I get a chance to get it smoothed out and painted.

Yes, for the Mariah. I know the irregularities and the spiral and all that will contribute to drag but I'm not trying to eek out the max speed & altitude on this inaugural flight. I just want to get it back in one piece and, if flying it like this would, let's say, double the chances of it shredding, then I just wouldn't fly it...at least not on the K375 or K1440 I have for it. I'll drop back to a nice J360 or so and keep the K motors in reserve until I get a chance to get it smoothed out and painted.

Do you have the magna-frame version?

I dont want to discourage you, but essentially flynfrog is right. If you can afford another (which now comes in fiberglass) then I'd say go for it. However, if you want it back in one peice I would not risk it. You do have a 50:50 chance of it having a sucessful flight or a shred.

The choice is all yours.

Back