Good (economical) source for digital scales?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcorinth

Reaction score
Guys, I thought I'd scored big time. A Starbucks near my old home was discarding a digital scale, and I managed to get it.

This thing had a huge platform - maybe 10 by 12 inches, and was accurate to 0.005 pound. I thought it would be perfect for rocket building and especially motor selection.

I got it home, and discovered why it was being tossed - it was completely fried.

So now I'm looking for a digital scale. I have a small metric one which is good for small components, but I'm looking for something larger, with a heavier capacity. Problem is, the kind of scale I had scored, had it worked, would cost probably close to $1000 or more.

You guys always surprise me with new vendors I'd never heard of. I've been looking on Amazon, but I'm wondering if anybody out there knows of a better source for digital scales.

+1 for the Harbor Freight scales.

I have the second and third one. Larger one can go up to 11 lbs in .05 oz increments, the smaller one I use for tiny things. I forget how precise it is. I almost bought the first one listed simply because it measures grains for measuring BP charges. But that can be done with grams as well.

Mike

I have had a number of digital scales over the years and for the money I also recommend the Harbor Freight 500g scale. which reads down to .1g.
If you catch them on sale they can be as cheap as 9.99 each.
I have 4 now. one one each floor of the house and in my range box, they all are just as reliable and accurate as the 60 -90dollar digital scale purchased in the past.
If you need more then 500g, they also have a larger scale for about 20 bucks.

Something to add to your list is a couple 100g certified test weights. most every scale needs to be calibrated at least once a year. these weights make the job a snap. I get mine from McMaster-Carr.

Cen-Tech Pocket 500g Scale-c-sm_2 pic_01-07-07.JPG

Percision Brass set & ind. ST-Stl Certified wts_07-07-12.JPG

+1 on the small HF units. Very inexpensive and have held up well for me. I've also got a $25 or so kitchen scale (got it at Bed Bath & Beyond) that goes up to ~5Kg with 1g resolution that has a big platform so I can weigh entire rockets up through medium HPR. It doesn't work below about 10-15gm though, but that hasn't been a problem. Digital scales are all solid state so the advantages of expensive ones for our purposes are minimal. I prefer good-enough-but-destroyable.

That's a nice HPR scale (40+ kg) for $25 Terry!! Very tempting, I've now built a couple of rockets that go beyond my kitchen scale's capacity.

I have two digital scales. For small tasks, I bought one of these kitchen scales that I've been very happy with.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SVQHWY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Make sure to get either the 500 g or 1000 g model and the calibration weights are included. This costs extra on the 3000 g model.

Here is a related thread where I discussed my reasons for buying it:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?120751-Scale&p=1392023#post1392023

I also bought this postal scale for heavier tasks, but I haven't used it enough to really assess its strengths and weaknesses yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W7IOV4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
You get what you pay for.

I recommend the My Weigh KD-7000. Costs a bit more, but it is accurate, durable, temperature compensated, and .... did I say durable?

Kevin

You get what you pay for.

I recommend the My Weigh KD-7000. Costs a bit more, but it is accurate, durable, temperature compensated, and .... did I say durable?

Kevin

Oh, that's not that bad! I thought it would be a few hundred bucks, but it looks quite affordable. Thanks for the recommendation.

Latest posts

Back