been lurking long enough, time for a hello

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffmurray

Reaction score
Hello all,
Ive been lurking here long enough, and I figure its time for a hello. When I was in high school and college, I really enjoyed building and launching model rockets, but I have not build or launched a rocket in 6 years or so. I recently quit my job to return to school for mechanical engineering, and i was reading a section in one of my books that spoke of rockets, and my interest was renewed. So here I am dreaming of rockets, and gleaning what knowledge I can, waiting for my broke student funds add up to building my next rocket.

Welcome back! I've been flying for over a year now and am enjoying it to no end! Where you from?

Welcome back! I was Born Again about a month ago, and am loving it! Have fun and keep us posted with your endeavors!

Welcome! Prepare wallet for thinning!

Of course, if your at a school where there's a Mechanical Engineering degree offered, there's very likely a club on campus too. Look around and ask. You may get to play with the big toys (at little to no cost for yourself).

Pointy Side Up!
Jim

Hello and welcome. Stick with the engineering degree. It's a lot of work but totally fulfilling and extremely flexible career wise. Don't ask how I know :wink:.

Welcome! I fly on a pretty small budget myself!

But I am addicted!

Happy flying :)

Welcome back! I've been flying for over a year now and am enjoying it to no end! Where you from?
Living in sunny Albuquerque NM
Welcome! Prepare wallet for thinning!
Of course, if your at a school where there's a Mechanical Engineering degree offered, there's very likely a club on campus too. Look around and ask. You may get to play with the big toys (at little to no cost for yourself).
Pointy Side Up!
Jim
Ill have to look into that, as I'm returning to college I'm taking several classes at the local community college right now(nice cheap credit, so far seems like good instructors), and I do not believe that they have any groups, but I did find my local club, and will be attending one of their launches soon, so I at least get to see some cool things fly.
Hello and welcome. Stick with the engineering degree. It's a lot of work but totally fulfilling and extremely flexible career wise. Don't ask how I know
3.gif
Thanks for the encouragement, I plan on sticking it out, I gave up a mediumly lucrative job as a Plumbing contractor to go back to school and returning to advanced math is kicking my butt, but at least i kick back.

and will be attending one of their launches soon, so I at least get to see some cool things fly.

Great to have you back into the game! I started back the same way...found a local launch (ok, 3 hours away), and watched some launches that put a permanent grin across my face. ;) Check with your club about attending, as some are free to watch and some may have a small fee, then bring some water and binocs, and enjoy! Today's rockets are amazing...

Hi new guy :) Keep you eye on the box stores that sell rockets. This is the time of year they put the rocket stuff on sale. Motors especially. Hobby Lobby, Walmart and others do this every year. Michaels Crafts have them at many of their stores, The Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon saves a lot of money. Sometimes these stores will have a particular rocket on a massive sale, buy several and use them to kitbash others.

All kinds of ways to save money but wait until the paper towel roll is empty before you try to pull the tube out ;) Look for the paper rocket section for further savings :)

Last edited:
Hi new guy
smile.png
Keep you eye on the box stores that sell rockets. This is the time of year they put the rocket stuff on sale. Motors especially. Hobby Lobby, Walmart and others do this every year. Michaels Crafts have then at many of their stores, The Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon saves a lot of money. Sometimes these stores will have a particular rocket on a massive sale, buy several and use them to kitbash others.

All kinds of ways to save money but wait until the paper towel roll is empty before you try to pull the tube out
wink.png
Look for the paper rocket section for further savings
smile.png
I have been looking around at hobby lobby and the such, still waiting for a real good deal. I will look into the cardstock rockets, that seems like a great place to get started.

Welcome, and good luck with the classes.
Thanks, its interesting going back to school after an extended absence, I have to learn to be a student again. The luck will be needed.

Yeah, download the Hobby Lobby app on your phone and you'll always have access to the 40% off coupon. Comes in very handy for impulse buys (pun intended??)...

The tubes from Christmas wrapping paper got me back into flying as an adult. When you find the right tube, light, smoother finish, spirals not too exaggerated and somehow still sturdy feeling, you just have to make a rocket out of it! Fins are made out of corrugated cardboard, with folded strips of manila folders to make the edges aerodynamic. Cut a big circle out of the cover of a magazine. Make one cut along the radius to allow it to be rolled into a cone. Shopping bags from Target have lovely patterns for parachutes! Dang I need to build something right now!

Back