Minimum Launch Speed?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORZERO

Reaction score
I chose a CTI G68 for my rocket's (modified Estes AIM-54 Phoenix with 29mm motor mount) maiden flight. The rocket weighs 36 ounces loaded. I have a 10:1 thrust to weight with this motor (calculated at max thrust of 94N). I have added nose weight to achieve 1.34 calibers stability with this motor. My Open Rocket simulations are in the green with a 6 foot rail at about 35mph off the rail. Thrustcurve.org shows this motor as a FAIL at 47ft/s and states the following:

"G These simulations were run with a launch guide length of 7ft (rod, rail or tower). If this is not correct, launch guide lengths can be specified for your saved rockets. (The minimum velocity required is approximately 15m/s or 50ft/s.)"

Minimum velocity required according to whom? Is my project now doomed as soon as it leaves the rod?

I am flying it on the G68 ANYWAY! 50fps = 34mph, so stay tuned for video!

My LOC Hi Tech sim'd at 38.3ft./sec and flew great. It came in at 49oz loaded with a CTI I55 (slow burn, low average thrust, slow to accelerate, etc.).

[video=youtube;ZSmrDJwHmrY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSmrDJwHmrY[/video]

Your motor will have no problem. Have fun!

Make sure your sims are also adjusted for wind speed not just launch rail/rod length. However with a 10:1 thrust and a 7' rail that Phoenix should just about teleport off the pad.

30mph/44fps at the top of the launcher/rod/rail is the figure that's usually bandied about by the real rocket scientist types. I've found that anything slower than that, even with LP birds, tends to get shifted about by the wind until it gets going a little faster. By then, the shift in azimuth angle has usually already happened, and sometimes horizontal flight ensues. YMMV

Back