Casing Temperature During and After Firing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoyoteNumber2

Original San Diego High Power Rocketry
Reaction score
What is the typical temperature of a 54mm reloadable aluminum motor casing during and after firing?

In my particular application I am concerned about a 3D-printed ABS component in direct contact with a Pro54-6GXL casing with an L265 reload. I contacted CTI with my question but did not get a reply.

ABS Tg, or glass transition temperature, is somewhere around 105C (221F). Ditto it's approximate melting temperature, as it is an amorphous solid. That's way too low to be safe next to the motor case. Maximum recommended service temperature for ABS is on the order of 80C (176F). The motor case will be well over that.

Gerald

The maximum permitted motor casing temperature during or after firing is 200 C for a model rocket motor casing, and 220C for a high power motor casing. (NFPA 1125-2012-7.4.1)

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/document-information-pages?mode=code&code=1125

I would suggest utilizing a design with a insulating fiberboard motor tube inside the plastic part to prevent a hot motor casing from directly contacting the plastic.

Bob

Just curious what the component is?

ChrisAttebery guessed correctly - I was planning on having a fin unit printed, but I will probably stick to G10 fins instead.

CTI responded to my inquiry and estimated 100 degrees Celsius average for their casing temperature.

Two general rules of thumb for motor casings:

1.) Casing temperature is inversely proportional to burn time.

2.) End-burner casings run hotter than moon-burners casings which run hotter than bates grain casings.

Bob

Back