A Tail Tale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
Amazing airmanship in a Stratofortress.

[YOUTUBE]WJuEAQbxWRo[/YOUTUBE]

Greg

Thanks for posting. I have heard about this incident & seen images many times, but watching the official report is way cool.

Wow! Greg, that brings back alot of memories of USAF tech school in 1966 when we watched that film, then we went out to the training B-52 and looked at the tail. One impressive bird, those B-52's. After all the training on 52's I ended up on C 141's. Still a SAC man in my heart.

Wow! Greg, that brings back alot of memories of USAF tech school in 1966 when we watched that film, then we went out to the training B-52 and looked at the tail. One impressive bird, those B-52's. After all the training on 52's I ended up on C 141's. Still a SAC man in my heart.

I remember one time while on vacation during the '60's when I was a kid and we went by an air force base (SAC) and the B-52's were parked near the perimeter. They had to have been "D" models since their tails were like skyscrapers. Really made an impression on my young mind.

Never saw a flying B-52 until I was in boot camp at Lackland in the late '70's and one flew right over us on final. Impressive aircraft

Greg

And all of that with a couple of Hound Dog missiles slung under the wings YIKES !

We used to live near Fairchild AFB when I was growing up. We could always tell when the B52's flew overhead, because our garage door opener would activate...

In 1965 my family and I were returning from a vacation in western Nebraska. I had just gotten my learners permit so my dad let me drive the family wagon down a long stretch of US Highway 20. When we passed a train parked on a siding marked in USAF colors my dad remarked that it was a "Target Train". I thought that was cool but what happened next was even cooler. I looked up ahead and what did i see but a B-52 mnaking a low level run on the "target. Our old 1958 Chevy wagon shook when the plane passed overhead. I was one very impressed young man. Still love to see the Buff in flight or static display.

In 1965 my family and I were returning from a vacation in western Nebraska. I had just gotten my learners permit so my dad let me drive the family wagon down a long stretch of US Highway 20. When we passed a train parked on a siding marked in USAF colors my dad remarked that it was a "Target Train". I thought that was cool but what happened next was even cooler. I looked up ahead and what did i see but a B-52 mnaking a low level run on the "target. Our old 1958 Chevy wagon shook when the plane passed overhead. I was one very impressed young man. Still love to see the Buff in flight or static display.

It kind of reminds of this ...

[YOUTUBE]UxLe8MWdWe0[/YOUTUBE]

Greg

Back