Mini Topsky conversion

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWolman

Reaction score
Hello all,

Anyone have any experience in converting a Mini Topsky to boost?

https://www.topsoaring.com/index_page0002.htm

I bought one a few years ago while they were available, just getting around to putting it together - seems like it should be pretty straightforward to modify the rudder a bit, bottom mount it, and add a pod on the front...

Anyone have any experience with these or tips they can share?

Thanks in advance

Dan

Here's a great thread on how to take the Mini Topsky from light to super light: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1369813&highlight=topsky+mini&page=2

Only thing I don't recommend from that build thread is the control horns, go with the stock horns.

The Mini Topsky would probably boost very well on the Aerotech D2.3 reloads, which can be obtained from Value Rockets.

My suggestion for the rocket pod would be to build the glider, then move the pod where it needs to be for proper balance. Tend a little nose heavy, it is easier (and lighter) to move the CG back.

For the vertical stabilizer, try to keep the area approximately the same. Also, move the horizontal to the bottom of the boom.

Thanks Brian - I'll check out that thread - and some good tips.

I'm actually planning on converting as a pop-pod B/G, to get the boost CG far forward - trying to keep it hands-off on boost, and then potentially go to a minimal pod as I get more comfortable on the way up...I still have a bunch of the Quest D5's, that might work, or Aerotech D9's should hopefully be fine.

I'm also planning on adding a little more strength to the wings, just to be safe.

More to come as it develops!

Thanks

I'm actually planning on converting as a pop-pod B/G, to get the boost CG far forward - trying to keep it hands-off on boost, and then potentially go to a minimal pod as I get more comfortable on the way up...I still have a bunch of the Quest D5's, that might work, or Aerotech D9's should hopefully be fine.

D9's would be an awful lot of thrust. As Brian suggested, the D2.3 reloads would be nice, but if you want a pop-pod B/G then those have no ejection charge, so not very practical (Possible to rig a servo mechanism to kick the pod off, with a streamer or small chute trapped between glider and pod so the pod could descend safely. But that is sorta complex to get into).

This model at 1 meter span, and mass of 100 grams or less before adding a pop-pod and engine, would boost to a pretty nice height even on C6-3's. And if you want more altitude for D power, just Chad-stage a C6-0 under it. Actually you could phase-over into that, a C6-0 booster to B6 or B4 upper stage.

Any long pop-pod on an R/C B/G is going to want to "pry" off. I highly recommend using the "L-Hook" pod attachment system, it can't pry off, he pod has to move rearward about 1/4" or so first. Indeed my first R/C B/G's in 1980 had this problem and I came up with the L-Hook to solve that problem for those early R/C B/G's, then when I went to R/C R/G's I dropped the design until the mid 1990's for cast hooks for small B/G's. Later making some big cast ones too.

I also recommend the "Spooler" Pop-Pod system, which helps to avoid "Red Barons" where the pod recovery system tangles with the glider.

Our team won R&D at NARAM in 2006, with a report on the use of L-Hooks and Spooler Pop-pods, here is a link to more info, and a few pics below:

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/RandD/Spooler.htm

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks George - much appreciated!

I guess I have a roadblock in my head about D power and above - I've been flying a heavy 24" trainer for a couple of years, that boosts on D12's and E11's - but flying on C6's sounds much easier. Definitely don't want to shred this one.

Great points about the pod - I'm remembering that I bought a set of your hooks a few years ago but never used them...now to find them in the workshop, that's a different story...

Will definitely read through the spooler report -

Thanks again!

Dan

D9's would be an awful lot of thrust. As Brian suggested, the D2.3 reloads would be nice, but if you want a pop-pod B/G then those have no ejection charge, so not very practical (Possible to rig a servo mechanism to kick the pod off, with a streamer or small chute trapped between glider and pod so the pod could descend safely. But that is sorta complex to get into).

This model at 1 meter span, and mass of 100 grams or less before adding a pop-pod and engine, would boost to a pretty nice height even on C6-3's. And if you want more altitude for D power, just Chad-stage a C6-0 under it. Actually you could phase-over into that, a C6-0 booster to B6 or B4 upper stage.

Any long pop-pod on an R/C B/G is going to want to "pry" off. I highly recommend using the "L-Hook" pod attachment system, it can't pry off, he pod has to move rearward about 1/4" or so first. Indeed my first R/C B/G's in 1980 had this problem and I came up with the L-Hook to solve that problem for those early R/C B/G's, then when I went to R/C R/G's I dropped the design until the mid 1990's for cast hooks for small B/G's. Later making some big cast ones too.

I also recommend the "Spooler" Pop-Pod system, which helps to avoid "Red Barons" where the pod recovery system tangles with the glider.

Our team won R&D at NARAM in 2006, with a report on the use of L-Hooks and Spooler Pop-pods, here is a link to more info, and a few pics below:

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/RandD/Spooler.htm

IMG_1460.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1492.JPG

Back