Looking for FFFFG BP in the DFW area

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PokerJones

Reaction score
Still looking without success at finding a local source for FFFFG Black Powder. I have a pound of FFFG Pyrodex I have been using for ground testing, works fine in larger amounts but it seems to very unreliable in smaller charges, less than .5 gram. I just can't get it to go boom in my 38MM MD rocket which uses .4 and .3 for main and drogue, just seems to fizzle when ignited-yes, it packed tightly.

I know it can be had online but I would rather not pay $52 a pound including hazmat fee.

Does anyone have some they would be willing to sell (at least 1/2 lb) or know of an actual gun store that carries this? Thanks.

Holee Guacamolee!

$52.00 a lb. now? Wow. You ought to buy 5lbs, pay one hazmat fee and be good for a few years. Hopefully someone can turn you a local source where you reside. Kurt

I'm thinking I saw something on the Bass Pro website about having it in stores at DFW... I think. A friendly fellow at a launch I attended gave me some pre-measured packets of BP so I never went and checked.

P.S. Was that you? :p

I'm thinking I saw something on the Bass Pro website about having it in stores at DFW... I think. A friendly fellow at a launch I attended gave me some pre-measured packets of BP so I never went and checked.

P.S. Was that you? :p

Yeah I got the FFFG Pyrodex at bass Pro but he said they didn't carry the 4F.

Nope...not me.

the way I get it is probably the most expensive per lb. but we don't use enough to matter. I order the ejection charge kits from Aerotech and get 12 1.4g vials for $9.95, I order 6 dozen at a time . It also has the virtue of being in full compliance with the rules. I was the one that gave Robert what I had of my last order so all my testing and cert flight was out of the same batch.

the way I get it is probably the most expensive per lb. but we don't use enough to matter. I order the ejection charge kits from Aerotech and get 12 1.4g vials for $9.95, I order 6 dozen at a time . It also has the virtue of being in full compliance with the rules. I was the one that gave Robert what I had of my last order so all my testing and cert flight was out of the same batch.

Hmmmmm, You launch more rockets like that one on the back of your truck and you'll blast through a lot more 4 F than you think.:wink: Kurt

Last edited:
Just a thought- you have 3f already. Just increase the charge a bit, and contain it a bit better and all should be well.

Just a thought- you have 3f already. Just increase the charge a bit, and contain it a bit better and all should be well.

That is exactly what I did Mark. This video is a test fire for the 5th & 6th time on this dd rocket, increasing the charges each time still with no luck. These last 2 were both .8g charges of 3f packed well into the brass charge wells on the av bay lids. I can't figure out for the life of me why it won't fire properly, I have had zero problems with the pyrodex on my larger rockets. I would really like to find some 4f to try otherwise it will be back to the drawing board.

[video=youtube_share;rsQC6gIZhvQ]https://youtu.be/rsQC6gIZhvQ[/video]

This might be an option, Bob told me about these this morning. Still a bit pricey for as much testing as I do though. I may have to buck up and pay a hazmat fee for the first time in my life :sad:

Jeff,
If you want some of the vials for testing send me a message and maybe we can meet up . I talked to pyrobob about stocking them, it is a reliable and consistent option even if it is a little expensive.

I get 4f Goex BP at Bass Pro on regular basis. Mine normally carries 3f. I tell them week before I need it. They get stuff every week & just bring it in.

4f is slow mover, only use is frizzen pan in muzzleloaders. I hope you do realize if asked what you want it for...... do NOT reply rockets. Tell them for a frizzen pan in your BP long gun. If you mention rockets , next time we hear from you, might be from GitMo -Bay...LOl

Jeff,
If you want some of the vials for testing send me a message and maybe we can meet up . I talked to pyrobob about stocking them, it is a reliable and consistent option even if it is a little expensive.
Thanks Bob, I may take you up on that if I run into a dead end.

I get 4f Goex BP at Bass Pro on regular basis. Mine normally carries 3f. I tell them week before I need it. They get stuff every week & just bring it in.

4f is slow mover, only use is frizzen pan in muzzleloaders. I hope you do realize if asked what you want it for...... do NOT reply rockets. Tell them for a frizzen pan in your BP long gun. If you mention rockets , next time we hear from you, might be from GitMo -Bay...LOl

Haha, that's right. I learned along time ago not to mention rockets when trying to buy BP. I just read on an older thread that our Bass Pro carries it but you have to ask the guy at the gun counter because they keep it in the back??? Sounds kinda sketchy but I guess it's worth a shot.

Get the stuff from a vendor at a launch. That's were I got mine. As for Pyrodex... Fine in your antique firearm. Not so great for ejection charges. Pyrodex is a progressive propellant. Too unreliable for ejection charges. BP is a LE. It works much better.

If you're vendor has 3F BP, buy a can. You're not priming a pan on a flintlock, just making ejection squibs. Ground test and size 'em right, your bird won't know the difference, and neither will you.

Be careful using Pyrodex. That stuff will fail just when you don't want it to...

I just read on an older thread that our Bass Pro carries it but you have to ask the guy at the gun counter because they keep it in the back??? Sounds kinda sketchy but I guess it's worth a shot.

That's correct I always have to ask. They now [for several years] have to keep black powder in a magazine locked in back....out of reach from the general public.

In May I went to the one in Savannah Mall...been gong for 10years..... first time they salesperson asked me to wait a few minutes.

Manger comes by & asks what I want it for...I gave him the standard frizzen pan explanation & said OK He'd get me my 2lbs.
I asked why the sudden interest after all these years, they never asked before.
He told me:
2 months previously they had some idiot come in the store wanting 25 lbs. They don't keep that much on hand & this caused a red flag to go up.....when asked why so much......he actually told them it was for pipe bombs.....big ones.

They stalled him long enough for the FBI to show up & that's the last anyone has seen him.lol So now standard procedure is the "what's it for" and showing an ID to prove your American. Don't know if that's at all stores, or just ours.
Just goes to show as soon as you think you've heard it all...another moron proves you wrong.

I got mine at the Bass Pro in Grapevine. Asked at the gun counter, and had a can in a couple of minutes. Being in Keller, you should give the Cabela's on 35 a call before driving to Grapevine.

Last edited:
Poker, I don't think you can really contain the charge in a well. I use 3f Goex in an ejection tube from Wildmans and fold it over and tape it.

Your charge needs to be contained enough to build up a little pressure when it starts to ignite. Whatever tape you have on top of the well cannot contain pressure very well (no pun intended)

I think containment is your issue. For this size rocket my go to is the Pratt Hobbies WEC ejection cannister. Throw in a .8-1.0 gram of 3f, a little cellulose on top, snap it shut, throw a little electrical tape on it, and I think it will work.

Another reason you have to ask for real BP at the gun counter is that BP is on the Low Explosives list and must be in a magazine. They keep it in a mag in back instead of putting it on the shelf and removing it every day.

You know, it just isn't worth it dinking around and risking the loss of a rocket large or small. Use whatever technique you need to use and get the "right tool for the job". That's one thing that can lead to more peace of mind.
Kurt

If you can come to Austin, McBrides close to UT Austin campus has it. 28 a pound.

I can give you some if you're willing to make the drive. I can't shoot them in my AR10 anyways (wouldn't want to honestly).

Have you tried pistol powders like red dot or unique? I was thinking if you could create the condition of a gun, such as drilling a 1/4" hole in a 1" bar of aluminum, then stuffing it with a tight fitting wooden "bullet"...

^^^

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

but when I asked at those places, they said that they did not carry actual BP, only pyrodex-type products. FWIW

I got mine at the Bass Pro in Grapevine. Asked at the gun counter, and had a can in a couple of minutes. Being in Keller, you should give the Cabela's on 35 a call before driving to Grapevine.

Find a local muzzloading club and you should be able to find a good local source for black powder.

Or, find a local "cowboy action shooting" club. They use period six-guns and long guns, and many of them like to load their own cartridges using black powder for additional authenticity. There is one such club out in the country somewhere southwest of me but I have not chased them down to find out if I can buy in to any of their club BP bulk purchases....or if they even order any FFFF.

Back