Big Daddy question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoon

Reaction score
After reading about ejection issues with the Big Daddy because of the oversized notch in the nosecone shoulder, I decided to do something about it, as this is my wife's first rocket and carries her own Buzz Lightyear theme. I don't want it not ejecting on its maiden launch.

I got a bulkhead which I epoxied (after some prep to the nosecone and bulkhead. I also put a screw eye in for shock cord attachment.

This being a 3 inch airframe, the bulkhead is pretty thick, and the screw eye is bigger than it needs to be, but it is the size that fits the hole in the bulkhead well.

This extra weight started to concern me in a different way. I am now wondering if the ejection charge of the Estes D (and maybe E) engines will be enough to push out this 4.7 ounce nosecone assembly. The fit is very nice and can be made looser by removing a piece or two if tape I added to get the fit just right (in my opinion).

Thanks,

Steve

Without resorting to a charge calculator or weighing my modified Big Daddy cones, I would say you are fine. The cone will need a decent fit to avoid drag separation.

I agree with everyone on the ejection charge being enough. The biggest factor is not weight of the cone, but the pressure built up. With the small volume of the BD, you will generate plenty of pressure. Especially if you have a nice snug fit. When you look at ejection charge calculators, they don't ask the weight of the NC, just volumetric questions and friction forces (or shear pin strength).

Latest posts

Back