L1040 vs L900 dark matter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I am kicking around the idea of a big sparky for XPRS.

Any reason to go with L1040 vs L900 in Aerotech 75/5120 size? They look similar in burn time and total thrust though the L900 sounds much more popular. Frankly I am not sure why they are both on the market, possibly California delays for the L900 certification.

Looks like the only difference is about 100NS, DMS vs RMS and the difference of a few tenths of a second in burntime. I'd go L900 - burns longer, 100NS stronger and you don't have to clean a case.

Glad to see you choose Dark Matter - much more impressive than CTI Skidmark IMO. Now classic AMW Skids...that's something else;-)

Never really knew why Aerotech has both, either... And yes, Dark Matter > CTI Skidmark for sure!

Looks like the only difference is about 100NS, DMS vs RMS and the difference of a few tenths of a second in burntime. I'd go L900 - burns longer, 100NS stronger and you don't have to clean a case.

Glad to see you choose Dark Matter - much more impressive than CTI Skidmark IMO. Now classic AMW Skids...that's something else;-)

I think they are both RMS.

Yep, you're right. I looked at the thrustcurve.org page and everything yet missed that. I think I saw DM for Dark Matter...d'oh!

You're probably right they have both b/c of regs. The 1040 has a little more punch it looks like. I bet the core is a little bigger on it. The 900 will probably give you a little more grunt though!

Last edited:
I spoke with Karl Bauman recently about this. They are pretty much the same motor. He never really gave me an answer that made any sense.

Interesting, I believe that. I looked at the propellant weights on thrustcurve.org just now and the 1040 has 130g more propellant, yet less total impulse and a shorter burn time. Very odd.

About 50 lbs more thrust off the pad for the L1040. If your rocket is too porky for the L900, the L1040 offers a little more margin. L900 COMPARE.PNGMaybe they developed two slightly different variants, obviously, and just decided to certify both.

Back