Our hosting service STINKS!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
That is it, no more.
Just tried to check my Pem-Tech email and my account has been suspended AGAIN! Right in the middle of a large educational contract with the CAP in Manhattan. This is the third or fourth time that a bogus suspension has been afflicted on us, and a couple have lasted for over a week. :facepalm:

Thanks to those folks kind enough to check in on us, making sure we are still alive.
Yes we are, I just got a work space set up, we will be taking orders again and am working on a wholesale order for Apogee. Not to mention the Educational order for the CAP.

Our web hosting service is run by a nice guy, and he is cheap but lately personal problems have interfered with our business.

So I am asking, "Who hosts your site?"
Are you happy with them?
Can anyone refer us to a good, dependable, inexpensive hosting service?
Help, please.

Last edited:
I run my own. No issues either. I am very careful and choose larger organizations.

I use simpleurl.com's hosting service for our club web site. They were recommended by Leo Notenboom (askleo.com). Always responsive service.

I'll caveat this by saying I know very little about this whole area (which is why I took Leo's recommendation) and don't know if what they offer is suitable for a commercial site.

[Political content removed after complaint.]

Seriously, you should look for a local company (if there are any) or a co-location hoster. It's almost trivially easy to set up a web/email server, both hardware and software. I've got a lot of time on my hands right now, pm me if you want help.

I signed up with hostmetro for class1rocketry.com but may exercise my 30 day money back guarantee.

Is ok but even just working on first page sometimes i have to wait to access ..not a good sign

Kenny

I use Jimdo.com for my business site (www.zippychips.com). I am overall pleased with it, but their SEO could be better. I haven't been using it long, and there is a good bit more to add.

I use DreamHost with no issues, but I do not use their email service.

Did you transfer your domain or purchase it through them? WHat do they charge to transfer domains?
Dreamhost looks pretty good but it would be ideal if it had a contact phone.

Layne,

I host about 10 websites including 1 club. I just responded to your PM.

Dreamhost is a decent service.

I host NAR, Tripoli, Giant Leap, Performance Hobbies, Public Missiles, and a bunch of other rocketry sites, clubs, and other non-rocketry related sites. This is not some box in my garage, but servers in a secured datacenter, redundant power, redundant network, etc... Have been in the hosting business nearly 20 years. Everything from single site hosting to virtual servers and physical colocation. I take on a lot of my customers when they're tired of being ignored by the larger hosting services. I can help you out, and will actually pay attention to you. :)

https://BlastZoneWebHosting.com

Last edited:
I host NAR, Tripoli, Giant Leap, Performance Hobbies, Public Missiles, and a bunch of other rocketry sites, clubs, and other non-rocketry related sites. This is not some box in my garage, but servers in a secured datacenter, redundant power, redundant network, etc... Have been in the hosting business nearly 20 years. Everything from single site hosting to virtual servers and physical colocation. I take on a lot of my customers when they're tired of being ignored by the larger hosting services. I can help you out, and will actually pay attention to you. :)

You beat me to recommending you. For those who do not know, with Rocketry Planet Darrell also hosted quite a few hobby sites on his server. When Darrell passed, and the server was flakey, I took upon myself to work through something like 15-20 sites contacting them, helping them export their sites to other hosting. Greg was very helpful in educating me a bit on the export, and took on several of the sites as customers. I highly recommend him.

InMotionHosting.com. They're OK, they have a template-driven site builder, that's what I use because I just don't have the time to mess with web site design. I have had relatively few issues with them over the past 3 years or so that I've been using them, except that recently they updated some core software and it broke the pictures gallery that holds all of the Eggtimer products' build pictures. They fixed it for me, but they also told me that I'm going to have to use another picture gallery because the one that they provided won't work with future software builds. Gotta love the Unix/web mentality... they assume you have the time to babysit your web site.

Given the previous comments, maybe I'll look into BlastZone...

currently i am paying less than the standard pkg ..anyway to get 10gbs at that price?

Kenny

Layne sorry to hear about your troubles..

Im using Go daddy.. its a love hate relationshit...

never had an issue with their service... im always up

i dont use their e-mail.. I like g-mail better so no issues there.

but I am hoplessly dependent on their propitiatory software.. so im stuck paying them every month forever!

charles has tried to talk me into moving to his and its a great offer problem is I'd probably have to build a new website and thats just WAY more work than I can handle. wish I had know what was up years ago..

oh well slave to them.. but it has been good service!

"Thanks for the kind words!

Pem, I tried to reply to your PM's, but its saying your PM folder is full. You can reach me directly at [email protected]"

Will do...
I am paid through November or December so no big rush, but I want off that server.

Last edited:

Cheers to BlastZone! Greg hosts both my website and mail server. (In addition to our local club's website and several club/regional email lists.) Wouldn't dream of using anyone else - he's always quick to respond to emails and resolving any problems as they arise.

i dont use their e-mail.. I like g-mail better so no issues there.
Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on that?

....Can anyone refer us to a good, dependable, inexpensive hosting service?...
I use a local service so it wouldn't much help

I would also suggest using another dns service so you don't have all you eggs in one basket - I use easydns.com for registration.

... i dont use their e-mail.. I like g-mail better so no issues there. ...

I am uneasy on relying on someone else for a vital service such as email. If you use a .gmail account, they own you.

Back