Rocksim v9 design will not launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purkeypilot

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been playing around with designing on Rocksim. I designed a rocket, and as far as I can tell, everything is Kosher, though when I load an engine and attempt to launch it, the simulation results come back as 0.0s across the board...not sure exactly why this is happening. If anyone has seen this before or knows what I may be missing that would cause this, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Can you post the file? IIRC people have had similar problems when the mass of some component is set to zero, or something to that effect. I have seen this with some designs that had pods attached to pods. There I had to delete the pods and start over. That is I didn't ever find the root cause.

Check your component material, especially the parachute thickness. If the thickness is zero it won't launch. Also check to see if you have selected paper2 as a tube material. Change it to paper.

Got it! Not sure what happened; materials and masses were all in, but I just started over after writing down all the numbers, and it worked beautifully! Thanks for the assistance all. I essentially re-created the Estes Magnum Load and Motor Mounted it for D class motors; simulations show stable (2.4+ caliber CG/CP separation) through entire flight with an Apogee of over 1,300'! Pretty good step up from just over 700' with C's :) Rocksim is crazy fun! Looks like I'm going to mod my second Magnum Load when I build it for Estes D motors.

I'm not sure why I'm so drawn to the Magnum Load...I suppose because it was my first BAR rocket. It's a simple E2X, but it flys great!

Last edited:
I have a bunch of extra tubes, parts, etc. because you often can't buy just one. So, I'm designing some rockets to use up the parts.

I just had the same problem - put in custom fins for a design but it didn't have any material to be able to determine the mass.

Once I fixed that, it worked perfectly. Thanks for saving me a bunch of time figuring what was wrong.Invader.JPG

Back