Mariah 54 dilemma

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropellantHead

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm finally putting the finishing touches on my Mariah 54 in preparation for launching it at AirFest and I have a dilemma of sorts. This is the first minimum diameter for me and the kit came with conformal rail guides, which I was about to put on the body tube. The problem is that I also purchased a slimline motor retainer and installed it a while back. It looks like there *might* be enough clearance to go on the rail if I mount the lower rail guide high enough, but I'd prefer not to just take a chance. Has anyone here used the GL rail guides along w/ their motor retainers without using a standoff for the rail guide?

If this is a no go, what can y'all suggest for a standoff? I was thinking of some thick card stock epoxied to the body tube, then soaked with thin CA for strength, and then epoxying the rail guide on top. Any chance of that working?

They make a set of ACME conformal rail guides that are taller, just for that reason. I used a set when I built a rocket with the ACME fincan. 54mm with fincan, listed on the GLR website under "Launch Systems".

They make a set of ACME conformal rail guides that are taller, just for that reason. I used a set when I built a rocket with the ACME fincan. 54mm with fincan, listed on the GLR website under "Launch Systems".

A lovely idea, but what are the chances I could order a set and have them in my hands in three days? I leave for Argonia on Thursday morning.

Not real good. What's the chances that a vendor will have a set at the launch? About the same. I just looked through my stash and found one, but that's not much help. I could bring it with me if you want to try something a little funky....

Giant leap will be at the launch. I would contact Kent and let him know your needs. I'm sure he can bring as set for you. As long as you are prepared to install them on site, problem solved

Yeah, I was just checking vendors on the Kloudbusters site when you posted up. I remember them from last year.
They are pretty easy to install, almost self aligning.

grab some wood and make a couple of thin standoffs of the same size as the base of the guides.

Not real good. What's the chances that a vendor will have a set at the launch? About the same. I just looked through my stash and found one, but that's not much help. I could bring it with me if you want to try something a little funky....

That's a very generous offer but I see below that GLR is coming to AF! I'll see if I can get some from them. On the other hand...my paranoia just kicked in...if you could bring them anyway, just in case I can't get through to Kent in time before they pack up their trailer, I'd appreciate it!

Giant leap will be at the launch. I would contact Kent and let him know your needs. I'm sure he can bring as set for you. As long as you are prepared to install them on site, problem solved

It didn't occur to me that they would be at AF! I'm on it! Emailing Kent now!

Back