Estes Greyhawk 2068 - Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ama

Reaction score
I was hoping to start on a clone of the greyhawk soon, and was wanting to source the PNC-55IR nose cone.

I looked around the internet, and I'm wondering if something at least similar is in the estes sci-fi nose cone set, or used on the screaming eagle? Maybe there's a source I missed completely? Thanks!

I was hoping to start on a clone of the greyhawk soon, and was wanting to source the PNC-55IR nose cone.

I looked around the internet, and I'm wondering if something at least similar is in the estes sci-fi nose cone set, or used on the screaming eagle? Maybe there's a source I missed completely? Thanks!

It's the one found with the following kits:

P/N 072054, PNC-55IR (Blow Molded)
1973 Interceptor II
2068 Greyhawk
2133 Astrosat LSX (Body tubes are BT-56)
2183 Shuttle Xpress (P/N 072055; nose is pre-painted)

In the future, anyone at TRF can find this type of information themselves simply by going to www.rocketshoppe.com

Select "Building Tips" on the home page.

When the next page comes up scroll down to and select "Estes Nose Cone List v10.1" by John R Brohm.

Scroll down to page 26 and you will find the exact same information listed in the preceding post.

In the future, anyone at TRF can find this type of information themselves simply by going to www.rocketshoppe.com

Select "Building Tips" on the home page.

When the next page comes up scroll down to and select "Estes Nose Cone List v10.1" by John R Brohm.

Scroll down to page 26 and you will find the exact same information listed in the preceding post.
What bradycros is having you look up is the link to: https://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Nose_Cone_Reference_10.1.pdf. Mind you, this is the version 10.1, and it is outdated as it doesn't have kits added in the recent past (e.g: Estes Pro Series II lineup.). So, when the list gets updated to 10.2, or 11.0, the link I gave will also be obsolete (but still kinda useful so long as the document isn't removed). I'm not aware of any more-up-to-date list.

[EDIT] I've removed the previous erroneous answer (with the caveat). The correct answer to the question about the assortment is "No, they didn't package it in the assortment". There was the appearance of a glossy line that looked like the top edge of an intake from all available online photos I could find. However, when I called my LHS, I was told that the nosecone is a BT-50 based one, and there are no intakes. Again, It is not the PNC-55IR.

003173_package_4.jpg
003173_main.png

BTW, here's a link to the plans info over on JimZ if you need them (Includes fin templates and the cardstock outlines): https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/est2068.htm. Unfortunately, it's just the .tif version, JimZ hasn't got a .pdf version for the file (at this time).

There's also another good general resource page for lots of info, including non-Estes info, at petealbrecht.com's Useful model rocketry links.

Last edited:
Thank you K'Tesh and bradycros. I probably should have done some more leg work before posting!

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I had run across the PDF mentioned above, and was considering getting a shuttle express, but will now probably get the nose cone pack instead.

Thank you K'Tesh and bradycros. I probably should have done some more leg work before posting!

That's exactly the answer I was looking for. I had run across the PDF mentioned above, and was considering getting a shuttle express, but will now probably get the nose cone pack instead.

Don't get the pack. It doesn't have the PNC-55IR. I apologize for any confusion. Now it looks like I'll need to pic up a Shuttle Express so I don't need to sacrifice on of my Interceptor II's nosecones for a Greyhawk build of my own. I had been thinking of picking one up on Evilbay, but the last one was chewed up by a dog.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks again. I too will get a shuttle express.

The Shuttle Express is a BT56 size body tube, although the nose cone is typically a little loose in the tubes but you will most likely have to still sand the shoulder to get it to fit into a BT55 size body tube. It would appear Estes made the same style cone in both BT55 and BT56 sizes.

John Boren

The Shuttle Express is a BT56 size body tube, although the nose cone is typically a little loose in the tubes but you will most likely have to still sand the shoulder to get it to fit into a BT55 size body tube. It would appear Estes made the same style cone in both BT55 and BT56 sizes.

John Boren

Good to know! So, John, was this one of your designs?

Thank you bradycros. I probably should have done some more leg work before posting!

That's exactly the answer I was looking for.

If you didn't know this list existed chances of coming across it could be slim.

Another great list to know about for cloning is the "Estes Body tube/Kit Reference v3.1" also by John R. Brohm located on the same page as the nose cone list.

The Body tube/kit list gives the measurements of all the tubes in a kit. The listing is numerical, so go to page 21 of the list and look up kit #2068

Funny thing about the internet... It allows some for some... "creative" editing...

Original comment:

Unedited comment in reply:

And the edited comment in reply:

I don't think that was quite what the OP meant brady. Why can't you share credit?

Sorry to the OP for you getting dragged into this.

Last edited:
Funny thing about the internet... It allows some for some... "creative" editing...

Why can't you share credit?

Share credit? I didn't take any credit.

I plainly printed John R. Brohm as the person who created the lists. I only explained how anyone could access the information in the lists.

You passed off the information as if you did all the research yourself.

Share credit? I didn't take any credit.

I plainly printed John R. Brohm as the person who created the lists. I only explained how anyone could access the information in the lists.

You passed off the information as if you did all the research yourself.

I answered a simple question. Quickly. I didn't waste time explaining every step on how to find it. Sometimes a simple answer is all that is needed, and sometimes time is a factor (think Ebay auctions, do I buy this damaged kit and try to fix it, or do I clone it from parts from this other kit I can buy on Ebay). I don't think Mr. Brohm would have been offended by this use of his information. If he is, or would be, I'd apologize to him.

We're all "standing on the shoulders of giants", according to Newton (n.d.). If we had to use MLA or APA to credit everything we ever did or say, the world would be a much sadder place.

References:

Isaac Newton. (n.d.). BrainyQuote.com. Retrieved September 1, 2015, from BrainyQuote.com Web site: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/i/isaacnewto135885.html

Last edited:
Don't get the pack. It doesn't have the PNC-55IR. I apologize for any confusion. Now it looks like I'll need to pic up a Shuttle Express so I don't need to sacrifice on of my Interceptor II's nosecones for a Greyhawk build of my own. I had been thinking of picking one up on Evilbay, but the last one was chewed up by a dog.

I tried to bid on that one, since he put replacement tubes in it.
Unfortunately he blocked me for sending him a nasty email defending a fellow rocketeer from YORK.
That'll teach me to bad mouth someone that deserved it.

Hey, ama...

I was re-reading your original question, and I missed something. The Estes Screaming Eagle is a BT-50 based rocket, whereas the Interceptor II/Greyhawk/et al. are BT-55/56 based rockets.

So, to answer that specific part of your question: No, that nosecone (or kit) wouldn't supply you with what you need.

Last edited:
Thank you again for the help folks.

The fact that the screaming eagle nose cone is BT-50, and in the sci-fi pack did get me thinking about trying a down-scale Greyhawk project. If everything was scaled by 73% the original BT-55 main body would become a BT-50, the side 'engines' would be approximated by BT-20's, and a BT-5 would work for the inner portions of the 'engines'. Based off of the bill of materials I saw on the rocketry reviews site, it would need something like the following:

1. BT-50 x 6 9/16" body tube
2. BT-20 x 2 15/16" (2x) side tubes
3. BT-5 x 1 1/16" (2x) inner tubes

4. BT-50 engine mount
5. 1/16" fin stock
6. BT-20 Tube couplers (2x)
7. BT-20-5 Centering rings (2x)
...plus the card stock, recovery, etc.

I should probably stick to trying a full scale one first, but it did get me thinking.

Back