NARAM 58

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be there hoping to get two flights on my new Dominator 3 (plan is J449 and K650). I want to fly it on a Loki L1040 at AirFest, but need a couple of shakedown flights first.

Soooo NARAM is around the corner.

Who's attending?

I'll have a 7.5" WAC Corporal that I'll be flying on a M1315.

Hopefully I'll also have a 4" Dia upscale of the Estes USS Scorpius that'll fly on an I284...

My 4" rocket may go up on a 3 grain L and tickle the waiver.

Would totally love to see your WAC Corporal. Been thinking of scratch building a 3", 4", 5.5", or 7.5" using LOC parts. Do you have a build thread?

I will have a mess of sport launch propellant. If some one wants me to bring a certain motor, let me know Give me a heads up in the next week or so, I should be able to get it on order and have it in time (if it is Aerotech) if I don't already have it in stock and I can add a few motors to my CTI order I just placed.

Couple of questions for the organizers of N58.

Was wondering if we can get on the launch site Friday afternoon before the sport launch to set up our shelter? Current plan is to arrive in town around 2 PM Friday.

Also, planning on making a number of RC rocket glider flights on Saturday and Sunday. I know at some NARAMs in the past, there has been sort of a separate launch area for the RC glider launches. Will R/C RG launches be from the sport launch range (same as all other sport launches), or possibly in a separate area? (Just curious)

Last edited:
Opening week end sport launch and competition. Therest of the week competition only. I will be there for the opening week end. Swing on by and play.

Opening week end sport launch and competition. Therest of the week competition only. I will be there for the opening week end. Swing on by and play.

Actually, the sport launch area is open all week. Not as much activity sport launching during the the week as there is on the opening weekend , but some. (Based on the two NARAMS I have been to)

If the regional in May is any indication, the sport range should be separate from the competition range. However, I'll know more this coming Tuesday. I speak in no official capacity though.

Back to working on rockets... Launch is coming up quick!

Sam, I can't say for sure, but I don't think there has ever been a NARAM event at this field so "typical" may not yet be defined.

Sam, I can't say for sure, but I don't think there has ever been a NARAM event at this field so "typical" may not yet be defined.

I think your right. I was making the assumption the a NARAM range layout would follow the way the local clubs set up, more or less. I know, I know, I'm jumping the gun ! :)

I think your right. I was making the assumption the a NARAM range layout would follow the way the local clubs set up, more or less. I know, I know, I'm jumping the gun ! :)

I guess we will know in less than two weeks...:)

I have only been to N38 in Evansville, IN in 1996 and to N32 in Dallas in 1990, so have not seen the way the range has been set up at NARAMs lately.

After looking at the site on Google (from the coordinates on the NARAM 58 page) I was just wondering about things like entrance to the field, parking areas, where the club usually sets up on their field, prevailing winds, etc. I wasn't thinking that a NARAM would be setup much different.

Last edited:
springfieldmay2.png

This is the entrance to the site. I come in from the south, but it sounds like others come in from the north. I say "yes dear" to whatever Siri says, so YMMV. :cyclops:

springfield may.jpg

This is the setup that was used for the May Regional (which served as a trial run for NARAM). The contest range is in the boxed 'C'. The regular pads were to the right. Yes, that is a pond. No, no one hit it. Go high enough you'll be OK. :) I think the winds typically travel from right to left (when looking at the photos). Everything arced to the east, but landed to the west, safely. Winds aloft are a little interesting.... My 12k shot drifted directly south about a mile and half. Thank goodness for GPS.

Our local club is having our meeting tonight. I'll let Dan post anything he might know. Meanwhile, be sure to check out the NARAM-58 facebook page. They have been asking for preference for flight times. Their Waiver is 8am to 6pm daily, but they are asking if folks want to start an hour early and end an hour early at 4pm. I have a laundry list of flights I want to make so I'd appreciate the longer day, but that's just me.

-Mike

Thank Mike that's good info. Thanks for the Facebook reminder, I like early starts. :)

Last edited:
It's also worth mentioning the website has been updated with the schedule (which I found after my previous post). I see the schedule is 9-5 which works just fine for me.

130 fliers registered so far!

I asked about BFR's and high altitude flights for the sport range.

They would like to suggest that Dan Welling and Marty Cox be contacted for anything large (L/M) and/or very high flights (close to the 12,000 ft waiver).

I don't have permission yet to share Dan's e-mail, but I'm sure if you contact Gary Cole and/or John Buckley, they can pass on your e-mail to them.

https://www.naram58.org/contact/

I've already submitted my information!

Looks like it will be on the hot side in Walnut Grove next week. Current highs of 98 and 95 predicted for next Sat and Sun.
The early wind forecast is 5-10mph....nice.

On the NARAM 58 Facebook page, they are discussing a change to the Sport Launch range hours, from 8am to 6pm (current waiver hours) to 7am till 4pm, to miss a couple of the hottest hours on the range. Makes some sense to me, even though I am not a morning person...:)

Currently finishing up three more RC RGs and did a repaint on my old high power level 1 rocket from 1994 to freshen it up for NARAM.

Last edited:
I have a different sort of question for anyone local to the launch. I already emailed the hotel to ask and so far have gotten no reply.

I am currently training for a half marathon that I hope to run in September so, even though I only run three days a week, I'd really rather not miss a full week during NARAM. Is there somewhere near the hotel (rural roads, parks, trails, etc.) where I can safely do some 5-10 mile runs in the early morning (say 6-9 am)?

If the launch starts that early I may be a bit late the first day as I will be at my Brothers house 70 miles away Friday. Me getting up by 5:00 is a question mark.:cyclops:

Sport Range is 8am-4pm. Typo on the OPs behalf.

I hope to be at the field by 7 to start prep and make sure I'm set... Hopefully there isn't much morning dew!

4pm end time is nice as I can head back to STL Sunday and be in bed just at the right time!

-Mike

Sport Range is 8am-4pm. Typo on the OPs behalf.

I hope to be at the field by 7 to start prep and make sure I'm set... Hopefully there isn't much morning dew!

4pm end time is nice as I can head back to STL Sunday and be in bed just at the right time!

-Mike

Aha. I was reading the waiver schedule as the Sport launch schedule.

Here we go! Day one of sport launch. Pads were set out yesterday, range is being finalized as we speak (I slept in, oops) and window opens at eight!

It's just plain hot. Maybe not Texas hot, but it's in the high 90's and sunny. My weather app keeps beeping at me to warn us that it is "dangerously warm."

I noticed.

We're still having fun. We're just not in a hurry.

PS. If you're here stop by and say hello. My son and I are staffing the NARTS tent.

It's just plain hot. Maybe not Texas hot, but it's in the high 90's and sunny. My weather app keeps beeping at me to warn us that it is "dangerously warm."

I noticed.

We're still having fun. We're just not in a hurry.

PS. If you're here stop by and say hello. My son and I are staffing the NARTS tent.

Hey. I am from Texas and today at the NARAM range qualified as Texas hot....:)

Good fun today. Got in four RC RG glider flights (three good ones and one with structural failure after some flutter while boosting). Two were first flights that worked well. And a flight of my AT Strong Arm with the R/C chute sled for main chute deployment on command. Worked great.

More fun tomorrow and then back to Texas at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Back