NARAM 58

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just plain hot. Maybe not Texas hot, but it's in the high 90's and sunny. My weather app keeps beeping at me to warn us that it is "dangerously warm."

I noticed.

We're still having fun. We're just not in a hurry.

PS. If you're here stop by and say hello. My son and I are staffing the NARTS tent.

Glad to put a face to a name.

image.jpg

Quick shot of the sport range at NARAM today.

And a shot of vendor row.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Sweet looking field!

Really liked the site. Nice rolling hills, lots of green, a few patches of trees, but none close.

Couple of things about how the site was set up were less than perfect, but over all pretty darn good. My sole complaint was the they had the flyers pit areas over a slight rise and pretty far away from the sport range, where you could not see the sport launch range from your shelter. In some spots you could not even see the tops of the launch rod and rails. We got permission to set up a little closer on top of the rise so we could see the range.

The flyers pit area will be great for the contest for the week, as the contest range is right next to the flyers pit areas.

The interesting contours of the site and the need to space things for safety reasons was the root cause of this little problem. You could tell that all the people from the team of clubs putting the event on had done a ton of very hard work and had the site looking great. Awesome effort and thank you all very much!

Last edited:
Thanks to the NARAM58 crew for a fun and exciting Sport Launch weekend. Many interesting flights ! And thanks to Chris Taylor for documenting the festivities on the naramlive web site (www.naramlive.com)

I especially enjoy the video of the Manufacturers Forum. Here is an interesting segment from eRockets presentation: [video=youtube;Nx0PGuXfe_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx0PGuXfe_4&list=PLzdBQL1k_NRh5vkQI2NhzqsuD02NqRxv0&index=16[/video]

Lots more goodness on naramlive.

Oh, and good luck to the competitors this week !

Last edited:
I really forgot to thank Estes for the sweet Astron Skydart II included with the NARAM registration chachskies.

Last edited:
I just got home from spending Saturday, Sunday and Monday at NARAM 58. Congratulations and thank you to all of the clubs who pulled this amazing event together. The very helpful and accommodating range crew kept things moving at an amazing field, the host hotel in Springfield was a great venue, and even the only gas station/convenience store in the small town of Walnut Grove welcomed rocketeers with a custom sign.

Good launch overall. Hot weekend, but the breeze helped a little.

Had a few good launches. See: [video=youtube;w4pBPk2kCss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4pBPk2kCss[/video]

Really enjoyed the ability to drive out to the pad with my WAC Corporal, as well as recover it. The large amount of "ATV"s with volunteers was an immense help to those recovering their birds that landed a significant distance away. Someone darted their Hellfire downrange, and the local volunteer fire department (that was on site for the weekend) commandeered a backhoe and dug it out to prevent any cattle from ingesting the remains.

Would I do it again? Probably. Would I spend as much time out there? Eh. If this event wasn't in the dog days of summer, this would be the perfect event.

-Mike

Was it announced where NARAM 59 will be held?

No.

It was also stated at the NARAM-58 Awards Banquet that this event will in future be referred to as a 'Rocketry Festival' and NARAM is only a part of it.

No announcement on the NSL next year, either.

NARCON 2017 will be held outside of Washington, DC. Trip Barber will be running it.

I just got around to editing my video from NARAM. I flew my high-power 2-stage rocket five times over three days. Below are two of the better ones.

Flight #3
[video]https://youtu.be/Pzo6HXl7xVM[/video]

Flight #5
[video]https://youtu.be/p7ereeDHtBM[/video]

My R&D project was an Arduino based flight controller and data-logger that bypassed the 2nd stage ignition if it failed to meet a minimum altitude or rotated more than 35 degrees off vertical. Integrating the gyroscope values accurately and quickly was the greatest challenge in this project. While I'm still analyzing the data, the onboard video seems to confirm my gyroscope equations worked well. In my opinion, MEMS gyroscopes are perfect for this type of application. They are cheap ($12 for the one I used) and they are quite accurate over short periods of time.

Barometric altitude was less than 20ft different from the onboard Stratologger, and integrated altitude was within about 10% of the barometric value. Three-axis data was captured at 370Hz from both accelerometers, the gyro, flight events, and integrated velocity-altitude-roll-pitch-yaw. The barometric pressure sensor was captured at 20Hz.

Great flights, great coasting video of the sustainer, nice and straight 👍

Back