NARAM 58

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No bids from sections were received so the board created a committee to act as the hosts.

The statement that it's in serious danger of not happening is not really true.

kj

Thanks for the news, Ted. :cool:

"I'm pleased to announce that NARAM-58 will be held in Walnut Grove, MO July 23-29, 2016. John Buckley will be CD; Dan Welling will be Sport Range RCO."

Word on the street was it may be there, but until today it wasn't official. My brother lives about 70 miles away so I can see him and play with rockets all at the same time. I plan on beeing there for the sport range weekend with my rocket wagon full of goodies 1/2A up to M and a bunch of kits.

NARAM-58 competition events have been posted:

PMC Plastic Model Conversion

E SCA (altimeter) E Scale Altitude with Altimeter.

G SD G Streamer Duration.

D RG MR (per Rule 9.12 we are prohibiting use of Radio Control in the event , i.e. free flight only), D rocket glide multi round duration

C PD MR C parachute duration multi round

A HD A helicopter duration

½ A SRA (altimeter). 1/2A super roc altitude with altimeter.

OSL Open Spot Landing

R&D research and development

It's a large launching site. :wink:

I'm going to subscribe this thread as I'm seriously considering attending this event.

Edit: Not going to happen. NSL 2016 instead.

Last edited:
I am currently planning on going up to NARAM for the sport launch weekend....not a terrible drive from DFW and I might pick up a buddy in Little Rock (optional longer route) and bring him as well.

Any idea about the waiver altitude for HP?

Last edited:
I believe somewhere around 12,000... But I'll defer to the pros. A few weeks ago, a group of us flew in Walnut Grove to get a feel for the launch site (some of us came down from St. Louis for the day). Not a bad field.

Flew to 11,700 ft and had a nice recovery ~1/2 mile from the pad. Missed a tree by two feet... Tracker was useful, but if I put a little more effort in, I would've found it without the tracker.

The proposed rules for the sport range say 12,500 AGL - but that's not on the official website yet, so it's not carved in stone. The actual waiver altitude is a tiny bit higher than that, but I think they want a little cushion.

Well, who's going to NARAM?

I'll be there so long as I don't have to work that weekend for shutdown.... We'll se how that goes. Luckily, NARAM is the second weekend of shutdown so if I finish my projects on time/early, I should be there. Looking forward to it.

-Mike

The NARAM-58 hotel information has been announced:

Lamplighter Inn North

2820 North Glenstone Ave.

Springfield MO 65803

Phone 417-869-3900

When you make your reservation mention the code: NARAM to get the rate.

Hotel rate $79

You must be a NAR member to compete. Here's the direct quote from the rulebook: "All contestants entering model rockets and competing in NAR sanctioned competition shall be members of the NAR in good standing." [Section 8.1]

So I am considering G Streamer Duration. Will there be G SD events on the sport flying weekend? Or is contest flying only during the week?

I'm pretty stoked for the launch. I've got a few goodies lined up.

So I am considering G Streamer Duration. Will there be G SD events on the sport flying weekend? Or is contest flying only during the week?

I'm pretty stoked for the launch. I've got a few goodies lined up.

Contest events are only during the week at NARAM. There are often "fun events" on the weekend that don't go towards official NAR competition points.

Sorry, I am new to the scene. What is the nature of the event, could I walk up and find someone to witness for your level 2 cert or is it specifically for competition, R&D? I am assuming you can just show up and fly but I don't see a schedule just categories of activities. I read the waiver is 15K MSL... the location is ~1,209' above sea level. Practically speaking, when I am simulating for scratching the ceiling (the launch site looks amazing! pray weather gods) in open rocket what does that mean to me am I shooting for 15000 or 12991?

Thanks

As I hear it, shoot for < 12k. NARAM also has a sport flying range, so you can expect the opportunity to fly rockets for fun. I plan on attending the sport launch and getting some flights in the air.

There will be a number of NAR members that can assist with certification. If you're already Level 1, have you taken the test? If not, you could always request a sealed copy, to be opened in the presence of your L2 test proctor. If you're not, you'll need to certify L1 first before moving onto L2.

I will be at NARAM and can sign off if needed during the sport weekend. I'm sure there will be some L2 tests floating around the range, but I'll see if I can request a copy or two to have on hand.

I'm looking forward to NARAM. Get some birds in the air and have a good time with friends. Though if the weather looks to be grim, I may consider alternative plans... We'll see.
-Mike

Last edited:
Here's a weird thought. I probably should know the answer, but I don't. My sons have been coming with me to NARAM for years but this is the first year that my son will be over 18. Does he need to be a NAR member to fly on the Sport range?

Here's a weird thought. I probably should know the answer, but I don't. My sons have been coming with me to NARAM for years but this is the first year that my son will be over 18. Does he need to be a NAR member to fly on the Sport range?

Nope. Just needs to pay whatever sport flying fees will be.

kj

Soooo NARAM is around the corner.

Who's attending?

I'll have a 7.5" WAC Corporal that I'll be flying on a M1315.

Hopefully I'll also have a 4" Dia upscale of the Estes USS Scorpius that'll fly on an I284...

My 4" rocket may go up on a 3 grain L and tickle the waiver.

Back