Motor casing as coupler?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredbee

Reaction score
I'm finishing up a 54mm min diameter rocket, and looking at the fin can -- assuming I'll always fly with the same length motor, any reason I can't use the motor casing as a coupler to the airframe where the drogue lives ?

Greg

[video=youtube;Oi624glWhmw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi624glWhmw[/video]

I'm finishing up a 54mm min diameter rocket, and looking at the fin can -- assuming I'll always fly with the same length motor, any reason I can't use the motor casing as a coupler to the airframe where the drogue lives ?

Greg

You can do it, but you have to be careful because the motor will expand and then the sections won't separate. The way I do it is in the pic. 54mm with a CTI motor. The top part of the motor tube is wrapped with high-temperature tape to get a loose fit. On the top of the motor, I have a poured epoxy plug that takes the shear pins. The fit of the upper tube is very loose (wobbly loose), but the shear pins keep it stable. Don't be tempted to use a normal fit - it will seize up.

Jim

DSC03067.jpg

Great idea Greg....
This should make for some fantastic flights. ....

That's a super point Jim.....
Very interesting and not something to be overlooked.....

Teddy

Back