parachute identification

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Anyone recognize this? Someone gave it to me, seems like nice construction. It is about 58 inches, 12 lines transition down to 6 and 6 then two large at the bridal. There is a circular spill hole as well.

NLfnKsf.jpg

Looks like a military flare chute...
I had some 60" flare chutes...
I flew them many times...
They work great...

Teddy

How would I get more? Military surplus shop? Any guesses to the CD, or comparison with commercial rocket parachutes? I think it would be lower drag.

In my experience, the CD is pretty close to commercially made flat parachutes. The default CD in OpenRocket of 0.8 is really close to the data I get from my altimeters for the flare chute I have.

+1 Just spent the weekend dyeing a couple of these (plus a few other chutes) red, per the instructions on Aerocon's website. If it helps with the ID, mine had green stitching where the leads met the chute.

Yes! I thought that stitch was grey but looking close it is definitely green. Thanks all!

Big Bad Bob at Aerocon will have plenty of these. Excellent chute.

Tell him James said hello.

Are there any special tricks to folding one of these? I've used Top Flight chutes in the past, but have one of these now, and want to make sure I fold and pack it properly.

Are there any special tricks to folding one of these? I've used Top Flight chutes in the past, but have one of these now, and want to make sure I fold and pack it properly.

I followed the basic elliptical fold pattern and had a great deployment.

Thanks for the link. I had seen this, but wasn't sure if it applied to these chutes as well.

Back