Quark build fail..

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
My Quark adventure started out less than optimal. First off I was missing some capacitors. But an email to Chris at Eggtimer got that rectified quickly. Then I had problems with my stupid magnifier, then with my soldering iron. So I finally got it assembled some time back, it went together easy enough, and powered it up right after assembly and got all the correct beeps. Looking good.

I finally got around to bench testing it using christmas lights and a standard 9v. It beeps out last altitude, gets the pause and then the chirping. She's ready to go.

Now to test the channels. Following instructions I put the jumper on the drogue side, power up and so forth. Remove jumper, long beep, then starts beep-beep saying the test is over. No lights. :p Test the main, it fires fine. I then sim it using a pickle jar, funnel and vacuum cleaner. Main fires, but no drogue. :facepalm: Time to troubleshoot. I hate troubleshooting anything.

Inspect all connections. I couldn't see all the proc pads so I remove one of the telemetry jumpers. Two of the joints doesn't look too good. So I hit em again, and form a bridge between two pins. I get that fixed and try again. Same results. Check all the resistors, hit em again just to make sure. Same with optoisolator, and get another solder bridge. While I am fixing this, I pull the iron away and something doesn't look right. The PC board has "separated". The copper cladding has come up. Not only on the side I am working on but the opposite side as well. It looks the same near the processor where I had the bridge.

I started to leave it with the main only as I can use motor eject for the drogue, but I thought, nah I can fix this. Wow was I wrong. Maybe I got a bad board, optoisolator or some other component. Don't know. More likely I just got the board too hot and ruined it. Wouldn't be the first time I have ruined a board. So now I am Quarkless. Live and learn. Now I can relax because I don't have to design a sled. :p

Don't let this discourage anyone from trying Eggfinder products. It is my only experience with them, but probably not my last. Yeah I had some pieces missing but he sent them to me quickly. I may buy from them again, but don't think I am up for more assembly.

And to add insult, I went to drive my ERevo and one battery appears to be toast. :mad: And my quad scared my daughter. So I just pushed her around in her little car. First day off in nearly two weeks. Dont know if I can handle another LOL.

Mike

Don't feel bad. I fried my first Quark when I connected the battery backwards. Good news is they're pretty inexpensive. Bought 2 more and they're ready for flight!

Mine is not alive..will have Connor back me up this time.

Kenny

Back