Cutting a bunch Tubes Diagonally at both ends

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evvo

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I need to cut a dozen (at least... maybe several dozen) kraft (BT5... to BT50 size) tubes diagonally at both ends.
I've done some kits/builds with a paper wrap as a guide, but that's tough with a large number of tubes.
Anyone have any ideas for a jig?
I thought about getting a friend to 3D print a plastic guide to slide over the paper tubes.
I've tried using a hobby mitre box.
Any other approaches?

I think a jig with a very fine toothed rotary saw is your best bet... something like a Dremel.

I've done some things where I've made a rough cut "outside the lines" leaving extra material on the tube, then use a qtip with some thin CA (superglue) to harden the rough edges, then buzz against my disc sander for an absolutely perfect edge. The CA-hardened kraft paper can be polished like that for super smooth edges.

However, this method is probably not so scalable and I'm interested to hear the other ideas that come up!

MArc

A power miter saw with a fine toothed blade might be your solution and can be used for many other household tasks. You can insert a spent 13, 18 or 24 mm engine inside BT5, 20 and 50 tubes respectively to provide internal blacking to prevent crushing and/or shredding of the tube while cutting. (It may take a wrap of masking tape to insure a tight fit) Be very careful when cutting tubes shorter than 4" if you value your fingers!

The ideal way to do the same thing would be to use wooden dowels. Unfortunately, you would need to use 9/16", 3/4" and 1" dowels turned on a lathe or sanded down to match the internal diameter of Estes rocket body tubes.

Back