Flis kit question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Flis Kit 'Celtic Thunder', and the face 'card' is hand numbered '93'. is there anything in particular special about this kit? or is it simply the 93rd kit in the re-release? thanks,
Rex

I believe there was only one release of the Celtic Thunder and it has been available for purchase from the start.

Because there is a sub-set of people in the rocket community that prize "collectibles", Jim will hand number some of the first kits of each design (maybe 100). You'll have to figure if there is anything special about keeping it in the original packaging or building and flying it (building and flying is more fun). Check eBay to see if anyone is getting outrageous prices for their higher numbered kits.

BTW, my Celtic Thunder is #65.

Yeah, the first 100 are numbered. When Uncle Mike was blowing out his stock of Fliskits rockets on eBay, I picked up a lot of kits. Several of them are numbered, and one is even signed! They are all in a bin waiting for the winter build season. Maybe 2019, maybe 2020.;)

I will admit to being torn about what to do with the numbered kits. Good news is that I'm still a ways away from building. Some of them I already picked up duplicates, probably because I am a compulsive hord....er....um...collector. I don't think there is actually much additional value in these, but it's fun to hang on to them. (Collect the whole set!)

Last edited:
hmm, I know that this kit only just recently arrived at the hobby town (along with a number of other kits) first order for the shop I believe. I would have thought that the thunder would have sold higher more than that, maybe it is the 'aero stabilizers' that put people off. anyway thanks for the info think I will build/fly mine :).
Rex

Just went in to the bin-o-Fliskits looking for something to build with my daughter. I've got:

dooDad #09 (also signed)
K'TNG'A #39
Proxima Centauri #91
Celtic Thunder #50
whatchamacalit #37
Bull's Eye #27

:blush:

From The Celtic Thunder(TM) webpage:

"The Celtic Thunder comes to us from the mind of Ray DiPaola of the NAR Sections CMASS and CATO! The Celtic Thunder has the unique distinction of being the commemorative kit for the FlisKits 10th Anniversary!" (September 2012).

Jim often numbers the first 100 kits and signs the first 10 or 25 IIRC.

The S.P.A.D. is the commemorative kit for the FlisKits 13th Anniversary and will be released on September 26, 2015 at the CMASS launch sponsored by FlisKits. See the photograph below from the FlisKits website.

FLISKITS_SPAD_2015-2.jpg FLISKITS_SPAD_2015-3.jpg

"Flying my S.P.A.D. proto type. This is a 35 year old design that we slated for release in September. The sudden passing in Bill Spadafora resulted in a quick name change and this will be her first time flying under her new flag. What can I say. I've flown this design dozens, hundreds of times, over the past 30+ years. It was just another cool model. This time was different. It is the first time she's flown under the flag of S.P.A.D. and it simply felt different. You can see everyone in the background respectfully watching on. Kenn has even removed his hat for the occasion. Goose bumps." (from Jim Flis' commentary on the FlisKits website)

Bob

To follow up, yes it has been tradition that we number the first 100 kits off of the production line. We sign the first 10. Kit #1 is reserved for auction with the proceeds going to support the NAR and rocketry education. #2 is kept by me, #3 is kept by my partner, Brian and we begin selling at #4 :). Also, depending on any event related things, other single digit kits may be reserved for other people or raffles, as appropriate.

As for the S.P.A.D., look for an announcement on our web site later today! :)

Back