Firestar E-match igniter kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozwald

Reaction score
Has anyone used this product to make their own igniters for larger motors? I've seen other pyrogen kits but haven't seen this product. I need to light off an AT M-1850 and am wanting a good source of ignition. I've always used stock igniters. Comments will be appreciated

Yes,

It is a little more brittle than Magnelite, but it works.

It is simple to use. You make make your own blanks or buy them from them. You can double over the wires to make them bigger for large motors.

Been using it since the mid 90's. Good stuff. I use it on everything composite E-O. Dyben family has been around high power rocketry since its inception.

-Eric-

For the M sized motors I've used and what my mentors in the L3/research arena use ; a .50 cal BP pellet for muzzle loaders. Tape one to an e-match and tape that to a small dowel. I've used two pellets on a 75mm M, but I'm told that a single pellet will work fine for the 75mm with a 3/4" or 1" core. My mentors usually use two pellets with large 98mm or 152mm motors.

I've made my own igniters from nichrome wire and my own pyrogen mix and they were used on motors up to M without a problem, but the BP pellets work very well and are much easier to make and use.

My advice, don't over think it. Simple is usually better. YMMV

For the M sized motors I've used and what my mentors in the L3/research arena use ; a .50 cal BP pellet for muzzle loaders. Tape one to an e-match and tape that to a small dowel. I've used two pellets on a 75mm M, but I'm told that a single pellet will work fine for the 75mm with a 3/4" or 1" core. My mentors usually use two pellets with large 98mm or 152mm motors.

I've made my own igniters from nichrome wire and my own pyrogen mix and they were used on motors up to M without a problem, but the BP pellets work very well and are much easier to make and use.

My advice, don't over think it. Simple is usually better. YMMV

Thanks for the info. I have used that style of ignitor on M1315W' s before and they really do get things going real well. They were commercial and I have no idea who the manufacturer was. Got them from What's up Hobbies in the day. I just haven't shot the 75/7680 casing before. I'm sure it will be much the same as the 1315. Have a great weekend.

Some have slivered a small Blue thunder re-load for an ignitor for "M"s the dowel will usually exit a larger motor ..I have used those folded double dips for up to any K motor and a Kosdon "L". I have heard of flyers dipping a small balloon in the pyrogen..

Last edited:
Back