J145 long skid

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Anyone like the J145 long burn skidmark? It seems like an odd combination to me, wasting that thrust on a long burn and possibly taking the effects out of visual range, but it could be neat.

i saw someone (Russ?) fly it at Bong a month ago. Was a pretty awesome flight- i can't wait to fly one myself.

It's a very cool motor to watch. It is flown for visual and audible effect - low, slow, loud, and sparky. It is not a performance motor, so it is only wasted thrust in the sense that all hobby motors are wasted thrust...

I have flown it. I love it. Don't waste it in a light rocket. Skids need something to push against, that's State law. I have 3 in my box. I can't wait for its big brother, a 4grain long burn K Skid! I got the word directly from Dr. J that it's coming!

oooooo thanks! I saw a couple of these at LDRS and have been meaning to look up who makes them. looks like the perfect motor for my dual deploy Lil Rascal!

I flew one in a Jimbo Jart. 4in diameter.....8.5 lbs loaded on pad. That's the max I would use it in.

Sparks and noise everywhere for 7 seconds, went 2680 ft.

Then we drag raced 4 of them.......pure awesome-sauce.

Wow, popular motor! I am feeling a little sad about leaving it out of my last shipment, though heaven knows I spent enough without it.

Put one in my stealth - perfect for keeping everything close and visible.....

I have flown it. I love it. Don't waste it in a light rocket. Skids need something to push against, that's State law. I have 3 in my box. I can't wait for its big brother, a 4grain long burn K Skid! I got the word directly from Dr. J that it's coming!

Prays for a 6G(xl) L version.

Probably my favorite CTI Skid yet! I haven't flown my last one yet, that's for sure!

-Eric-

I've flown it in my Frenzy, almost 9lbs on the pad with it, I know, do the math and it doesn't come close to 5:1 but never had a problem, of course the Frenzy is 2-3cal stable, and I always use at least the 8ft rail. Here's a video of the first time I launched it on the J145: [video=youtube_share;5tZgQPanM58]https://youtu.be/5tZgQPanM58[/video]
You can hear it sputtering and crackling all the way up, hit 2700ft

Great video! Thanks for posting it.

The J145 motor has about 55 pounds of thrust off the pad, so about 6:1 in your configuration. The motor is very regressive; the average thrust is only 33 lbs.

Thrust curve and data can be found here: https://pro38.com/products/pro54/motor/MotorData.php?prodid=699J145-19A

Jeroen

Thanks Jeroen, there have been some who said the spike on the thrust curve is just the igniter pellet giving a false thrust spike, but seeing my rocket leave the pad its evident there's more to it!

Back