Cosmodrome Black Brant II Anyone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORZERO

Reaction score
Can't seem to find this kit anywhere on the interwebs.

Anyone have an unopened Cosmodrome Black Brant II kit they care to part with? I could gather parts and clone, but I'm not sure what I would do about the fins besides build my own from scratch. I really just want the kit for the fins. I may just scale my own in OR and print out the pattern. Just that much more to be proud of when it is finished I suppose :)

I have an email inquiry out to the owner. Hope he responds soon!

Thanks!

I am waiting for one last part to come in then I can have a batch ready. Will let you know when all the parts are in.

You won't regret it if you get the kit from Mike. Cosmodrome is one of the rare cases where the components of the kit are actually better than you would do if you sourced the individual parts yourself. 10-ply aircraft grade plywood fins! I have a couple of sheets of this stuff and I can tell you that it ain't cheap. The Cosmodrome is on the right.

If he's kitting up another batch, I may have to order a spare!

Cheers,
Michael

image.jpg

Keeping my eyes open for these to come in stock as well. Mike, let us know, my CC is waiting patiently.

Looking forward to the kit. From what I have read it has quite the history and gets rave reviews whenever it is spoken of. I'm interested in the methods current BBII kit owners have used for the paint scheme/roll pattern. Any suggestions/tips/words of wisdom? So far it appears that I will just have to empty the shelf of Tamiya tape from the hobby store and get busy with the tedious task of measuring and laying it down.

Those look amazing! I am interested in the paint scheme used on the model to the left. Any expert advice for paint? I will be using my own spray gun and PpG automotive urethane base coat/clear coat. The pattern will be the trick!

An email I wrote to Gordon of Sandmandecals.com (formerly Excelsior) who may work with me on a roll pattern:

"Well I plan on doing the math and figuring it out the old fashioned way. Any help would be appreciated. My idea is simple really, the bottom third pattern is 4 white and 4 black bars, the middle third pattern is 2 black and 2 white, and the upper third is simply halved.

I'm no mathematician, but based on the above information, formulas could be expressed as follows:

Where b=width of black and white vertical bars and c=airframe circumference

For the bottom third of the airframe, b= c/8, mid third, b=c/4, top third, b=c/2 and alternate the colors :)

Also, will have to research where to position each third radially.

It will be challenging with tape and paint, but I think it will turn out very nice when it is finished. I plan on acquiring a spray gun and compressor setup and will paint with PPG automotive urethane. Base coat/clear coat only for my projects."

Looking forward to the kit. From what I have read it has quite the history and gets rave reviews whenever it is spoken of. I'm interested in the methods current BBII kit owners have used for the paint scheme/roll pattern. Any suggestions/tips/words of wisdom? So far it appears that I will just have to empty the shelf of Tamiya tape from the hobby store and get busy with the tedious task of measuring and laying it down.

For this kit, you really can't beat an investment in vinyl from Sticketshock. Even with that, it takes a lot of patience to get right. The end result will be worth it though!

Cheers,
Michael

Mike provides a good diagram with his kits...if you want to go that route. As Mike stated, nothing is really symmetrical on this paint scheme. I've already expressed my preference above, however.

As for the fins, I painted them white and then used a liquid mask to cover the areas to remain white and added a single coat of black. The great thing about the Cosmodrome kit is the fins are strong enough that you can shape a really accurate profile and they can still withstand hard landings.

Cheers,
Michael

For this kit, you really can't beat an investment in vinyl from Sticketshock. Even with that, it takes a lot of patience to get right. The end result will be worth it though!

Cheers,
Michael

Much appreciated. I have had my eye on this:

https://stickershock23.com/Black_Brant.html

Still not sure what route I want to go however. Being the perfectionist that I am, and having experience in the autobody shop, I am confident I would achieve superior results with a masked paint job. I did just receive the Madcow 2.6 inch fiberglass kit for which I may purchase the wraps from stickershock, however. The fiberglass kit will be my first DD go fast/high/use computers 38mm play kit, and the Cosmo kit will be a meticulously detailed scale centerpiece that may never fly.

As I always say, "Patience is a virtue, that I DON'T HAVE!"

I've hit a little snag with the BBII. Seems the price of 3/16" ply has gone up again. I'm trying to get a better price on it, otherwise I'll have no option but to raise the price of the kit a significant amount. I don't want to do this. Give me a few more days to work out a deal, after that, one way or another the plywood will be on order. I need a new purchasing department...

So you are asking us to wait before we send our money to you? Also, will any kits be going to retailers?

As odd as it may seem, yes. As I am a one-man operation, any little hiccup in the plans can cause big delays, and life seems to hiccup a lot. I prefer to have kits ready to go first. Bear with me, I'm trying to get everything back in stock (yes, even the Vostok), work on new kits and I'm doing a ton of stuff behind the scenes to improve my processes. Once I figure out what to do about the plywood I'll have some BBIIs.

OK, I got the plywood on order. I managed to get a little bit of a break on the price. There is still going to be a price increase, just not as bad as it was looking.

Any chance I can pre-order? I'd like to secure now. Ship at your leisure. Is this practical to you?

I normally don't do that, however, I have the plywood in, a few nose cones made and an entire weekend of crappy weather ahead. Pm me.

Any chance I can pre-order? I'd like to secure now. Ship at your leisure. Is this practical to you?

A wise choice indeed my friend ! Then wait and see how many parts are in the box ,gots to be at least a million parts in there....LOL

I plan on a winter build ,since I`ve had mine for over 3 years.

Cosmodrome kits are top notch ,and I know....I have them all !!

Cheers

Paul T

I normally don't do that, however, I have the plywood in, a few nose cones made and an entire weekend of crappy weather ahead. Pm me.

Mike ,

I bought my Vostok kit over 3 years ago and remember there may have been a change in the shrouds or instructions ,is this correct ? and will this affect my build ?

Thanks

Paul T

Back