Mike Dorffler Scale CDs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefox

Reaction score
I recently found out about the Mike Dorffler Scale Data CDs and dug into finding myself a complete set tonight only to find out that I'm a few years too late to the party. *sigh* Is anyone continuing to distribute his scale data or do I need to ask around to see about getting a copy from someone else?

A few years ago I tried to get these as well. I attempted to contact him (I forgot how) while he was sick, but got no response.

Sadly, he died not long after that.

It looked like a treasure trove of rocket data. Perhaps a family member or someone close to him knows if there is anyway to pass the information along.

Greg

I sent an email to his account after his passing, explaining that there was considerable interest from folks here and on SCALEROC for the discs, and that somebody like NARTS might take over duplicating/shipping etc. His widow replied thanks for the interest, but she didn't specifically say they would be put back into production. I didn't press the matter any farther. If anybody knows the family personally, it would be a nice tribute to Mike to make these available again.

I thought that the NARTS collection was the entire set. If someone can list exactly what discs are in the NARTS sets, I can compare with the full set and find out what's missing. Or I can post a list of the names of all the discs here.

R-7 Series
Kosmos Series
N-1 Series
Buran Series
Little Joe I
Mercury Redstone
Russian Proton
Russian N-1
Russian Buran
Saturn IB (2 discs)
Taurus-Tomahawk
Russian Kosmos
Thor-Delta
Saturn I Images
Saturn V at JSC
V-2 & Bumper
V-2 Hi-Res (2 discs)
Saturn Drawings
Saturn PDF Files
Saturn V Reference
Apollo 11 Archive
Nike-Hercules
Saturn IB Reference
Talos & Tartar
LTV Scout
Navy Terrier
Little Joe II
Honest John
Saturn V (3 discs)
Saturn V at KSC
Russian Missles
Standard Missle
Proton Series

A few of these maybe duplicates, I'll have to check. This is just a list of the names on each disc. If someone can post what discs are with the NARTS sets, we could find out which ones NARTS doesn't have.

I have the NARTS "Saturn - Scale Data CD-ROM" ... it is a single disc with the following directories:

E:\Apollo Crews
E:\LEM drawings
E:\SA-503 Saturn Flight Manual
E:\SA-504 Saturn Flight Manual
E:\Saturn IB NASA Drawings
E:\Saturn V NASA Drawings
E:\Saturn V Tech Data

*snip*

A few of these maybe duplicates, I'll have to check. This is just a list of the names on each disc. If someone can post what discs are with the NARTS sets, we could find out which ones NARTS doesn't have.

Dorffler's catalog lists 33 CDs here, so presumably you have them all. You could certainly cross check them against the NARTs data, but I don't have any indication that the NARTS data was compiled by Mr. Dorffler.

You could certainly cross check them against the NARTs data, but I don't have any indication that the NARTS data was compiled by Mr. Dorffler.

Ya, that's what it looks like. I remember NARTS offering his collection, but either they don't anymore or I was mistaken. I certainly don't want this awesome collection to disappear, but it is Mike's intellectual property, so we would have to find a way to legally distribute it, and this is something I know nothing about how to do. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in...

Ya, that's what it looks like. I remember NARTS offering his collection, but either they don't anymore or I was mistaken. I certainly don't want this awesome collection to disappear, but it is Mike's intellectual property, so we would have to find a way to legally distribute it, and this is something I know nothing about how to do. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in...

The best I can come up with is to ask permission from the Dorffler family and see if they'd let NARTS or Saturn Press distribute the scale data pack.

I have 11 disks . . .

Saturn History Series:

(1) Nasa Drawing Reference Set
(2) SA-503 and SA-504 Flight Manuals in PDF Format
(3) Photo Set of Saturn-V Display at KSC
(4) Saturn-V Details
(5) Saturn-1B Details

Russian Rocket Collection:

(1) R-7 Series
(2) Kosmos Series
(3) Proton Series
(4) N-1 Series
(5) Buran Series
(6) Missile Series

The best I can come up with is to ask permission from the Dorffler family and see if they'd let NARTS or Saturn Press distribute the scale data pack.

NARTS. Saturn Press no longer exists. If my efforts toward a new RotW work out, my intention that NARTS will publish it. I would only resurrect Saturn Press if there were no other way to keep my drawings available.

Peter Alway

Back